Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion Notts and Derby (sherwood Foresters)

mikebriggs

Mike

Would it be possible for you to check your records for my grandfather Alfred MacIntyre who enlisted with the 6th Battalion in 1913. I contacted you about him some time ago and provided you with copies of his war record I managed to acquire from Kew. I am hoping that you may have some additional information about him from your research.

Mike

I was wondering if you had anything on Kerrich per my post? No worries if you haven't

Thanks John

Great work Mike. I have got one Maldon/Heybridge casualty from the Sherwood Foresters:

Private (73004) Harry THEEDON (11th Battalion). Harry was born in Heybridge, lived at Prittlewell and enlisted at Southend. He died on 1/10/17 and is on the Tyne Cot Memorial (Panels 99-102). I have been out to see his name.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Mike

Thanks for the offer. This is my man and if you can add anything I would be very greatful. If this adds anything to what you have then all is not lost!

Given he has an unusual name I couldn't find his gazette dates other than the Captaincy. I'm really interested in filling in the gaps if I can like whether he served in Ireland during the Easter uprising for instance. If you had a photo.............! The details of the action came from a posting I did a while ago the rest is spade work

Thanks John

Hi John

Sorry for the delay. I had a quick look over the records that I have but there is not mention that I can find.

You probably have his MIC, but here it is anyway. His date of entry into France is December 1916 so that would suggest that he orginally went out to the 1/6th Battn already in France. Perhaps later transferring back to the 2/6th Battn. I'll keep digging

cheers

Mike

post-4619-1260876474.jpg

post-4619-1260876531.jpg

Great work Mike. I have got one Maldon/Heybridge casualty from the Sherwood Foresters:

Private (73004) Harry THEEDON (11th Battalion). Harry was born in Heybridge, lived at Prittlewell and enlisted at Southend. He died on 1/10/17 and is on the Tyne Cot Memorial (Panels 99-102). I have been out to see his name.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Thanks Stephen

Theedon was orginially with the 1st Battn Essex Regt

cheers

Mike

post-4619-1260876814.jpg

Mike

Would it be possible for you to check your records for my grandfather Alfred MacIntyre who enlisted with the 6th Battalion in 1913. I contacted you about him some time ago and provided you with copies of his war record I managed to acquire from Kew. I am hoping that you may have some additional information about him from your research.

Hi Kevin

Not much more to add I'm afraid.

Enlisted May 1913; Arrived F & F 28.2.15; Served with "D" Company and was wounded on 13.12.16 at Foncquevillers; Disemb 25.3.19

cheers

Mike

Thanks Stephen

Theedon was orginially with the 1st Battn Essex Regt

cheers

Mike

post-4619-1260876814.jpg

Great - thanks Mike. I didn't know that. Harry isn't currently on the main Town War Memorial but should be one of the names that will be added next year.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 1 month later...
Mike,

More names, these from the pocket book of 2973 L/Cpl A E Bedford MM. C Coy 1/6th Bn

Winners of Brigade Bomb Competition Medal 12 Sept 1916

No 9 Section

240523 Cpl A W Stroyan MM

240810 L/Cpl Lievesley C (later DCM and KiA at Ramicourt)

241475 L/Cpl Mountain A W- Coy Sig

241456 Pte Marsden C W -Res Sig

241283 Pte Jepson W

242550 Pte Martin J

242548 Pte Mansfield H W.-Res Sig

242612 Pte Rose? A W

242621 Pte Wardman D W

240271 Pte Chesterton J -Sanitary

241452 L/Cpl Buxton J W

240866 Pte Gilbert H -Canteen

ALSO IN THE BOOK

Platoon Sergeant 1706 Morgan

No 10 Section

240142 Cpl Wood C W

240067 L/Cpl Large R W

242538 Pte Freeston? J H

240687 Pte Johnson

241576 Pte Mabbott W

242626 Pte Murray? C W

240392 Pte Berley BW

242482 Pte Wood E RW

241484 Pte Holmes W-Coy Sig

241481 Pte Birds R

242506 Pte Beardall J A

242518 Pte Croxall J W

241003 Pte Salt PK

No 11 Section

240407 L/Cpl Marsden J W

240390 L/Cpl Whitehead

240268 Pte Blagden H W

240585 Pte Artle E L

241315 Pte Mowbary JJ

241469 Pte Bacon A

241501 Pte Swift A-Reg Sig

241468 Pte Evans G

242623 Pte Woodward C K

No 12 Section

240827 L/Cpl Bedford A E-Later MM

240306 Pte Beresford F W

241470 Pte Frost H K

240353 Pte Stone HW

242742 Pte Town W

242619 Pte Wagg F

242630 Pte Flack(?) J W

240707 L/Cpl Carlisle(?) J W

240740 Pte Shipley R K

regards Mark

Hi, i'm having a bit of difficulty navigating this site. Looking at the pocket book mentioned above of fosse 3 de lieven private P salt no: 241003 is my great grandfather (Percy Salt) who enlisted in Bakewell in April 1916 and was killed on 23 April 1917. I have noticed a database but sorry am unable to fathom it out. Regards

If this helps, its info from regimental archivist:-

Served with 10 section 11 Platoon “C” Company (2); k/a 23.4.17 when attacking Foss 3 Lievin (1/6th Battn) Percy was one of seven soldier sons of Mr John Salt of Hollinsclough: others were Driver Edgar Salt of the Royal Field Artillery, Sydney Salt of the 6th Sherwood Foresters, Frank Salt also in the 6th Sherwood Foresters, and John Burton (half brother) in the Royal Engineers, John William Salt of the Royal Field Artillery, James Salt of the Australian Artillery and Albert Salt was deemed medically unfit and finally Fred Salt. Their story was highlighted in High Peak News of Saturday April 22 1916

If this helps, its info from regimental archivist:-

Served with 10 section 11 Platoon "C" Company (2); k/a 23.4.17 when attacking Foss 3 Lievin (1/6th Battn) Percy was one of seven soldier sons of Mr John Salt of Hollinsclough: others were Driver Edgar Salt of the Royal Field Artillery, Sydney Salt of the 6th Sherwood Foresters, Frank Salt also in the 6th Sherwood Foresters, and John Burton (half brother) in the Royal Engineers, John William Salt of the Royal Field Artillery, James Salt of the Australian Artillery and Albert Salt was deemed medically unfit and finally Fred Salt. Their story was highlighted in High Peak News of Saturday April 22 1916

Hi, thank you for the information. I have the news article referred to above. regards.

Hi Mike,

Have just seen this thread and wondered if you could help on the following;

Private 49261 Henry SHAW KiA Thursday 21 March 1918

Private 93877 George Frank JOHNSON Military Medal DoW Thursday 7 November 1918

Private 42192 Frederick HARPER KiA Wednesday 26 September 1917 (Have photo if wanted)

Private 93793 Albert Edward CLEAVER KiA Friday 7 June 1918 (photo)

Captain Francis Dawbarn STONES M.C. KiA Friday 28 September 1917

Private 51288 Edward V. MORRIS KiA Thursday 21 March 1918

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Mike,

Any Brownlows in your database perchance?

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve

Plenty of Brownlows in Notts & Derby, but none that I can assign to 6th Battn yet. Although 71164 Ernest Cuthbert might have enlisted into TF before being transfered to 1st Battn

cheers

Mike

Graeme,

Don't have any of these on the Roll yet, I've just been concentrating on those men that enlisted up to 1915, but can add some Battns to several of them

Private 49261 Henry SHAW KiA Thursday 21 March 1918

9th and 2/6th Battns but no further details

Private 93877 George Frank JOHNSON Military Medal DoW Thursday 7 November 1918

Private 42192 Frederick HARPER KiA Wednesday 26 September 1917 (Have photo if wanted)

15th and 2/6th Battns

Private 93793 Albert Edward CLEAVER KiA Friday 7 June 1918 (photo)

Captain Francis Dawbarn STONES M.C. KiA Friday 28 September 1917

Private 51288 Edward V. MORRIS KiA Thursday 21 March 1918

Only served with 2/6th Battn

cheers

Mike

James sent me his SWB list but cannot open it on my home computer!

Could you check SWB B54910 against the list please. Don't know if he is N&D but would appreciate a quick check.

Tim

Hi Tim

B54910 doesn't appears on James' SWB list sorry

Whats the name of the soldier?

cheers

Mike

Hi Tim

B54910 doesn't appears on James' SWB list sorry

Whats the name of the soldier?

cheers

Mike

Don't have one Mike. It was bought in Mansfield and I was hoping he was a N&D man.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum but found this and think you could help with my current research. Could somebody please attach or send me the list of names of the Lewis Gun teams of the various companies of 2/6th battalion please? and also any details that you can tell me about each individual?

James

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

I'm another who has just found this post. I have the following on the Buxton Memorial and any info would be appreciated: (I can access the obvious stuff, CWGC, Census, MICs, etc. It's really the actions engaged when they were killed that I am looking for and also when they enlisted - can't seem to get my head around the Service numbers!

Pt 2140 Robert BALL - 1/6th Battalion - 6 June 1915

Dr 2142 Frank HALLAM – 1/6th Battalion - 22 July 1915

Pt 2288 Thomas Oscar GOODWIN – 1/6th Battalion - 30 September 1915

Pt 2010 Thomas SIDEBOTHAM (SIDEBOTTOM) - 1/6th Battalion – 1 July 1916

L/Cpl 1661 James Uriah FERRIS – 1/6th Battalion - 9 August 1916

Pt 241643 George BENNETT - 1/6th Battalion – 3 October 1918

Pt 24057 James Francis GRICE - 1/6th Battalion – 3 October 1918

Pt 240096 George William MYCOCK – 1/6th Battalion - 3 October 1918

Pt 2423 Richard P. PEACOCK - 1/6th Battalion – 2 December 1918

Pt 203841 William Mellor BERESFORD - 1/6th Battalion – 26 December 1918

I have another list from the 2/6th if anyone can help there!

Many thanks

Graham

• 6 months later...

Hello Mike - hope you are still active here .......

I am preparing a WWI Book of Remembrance and also a Book of War Honours for FULNECK SCHOOL at Pudsey in Yorkshire.

Victor Owen Robinson attended the school and his name is on the Honours Board - I have a good photograph of the Board if you would like a copy

I see you have his Field NoteBook.

Would it be possible to get a photocopy of one of the pages so we can add it as a picture in the profile we prepare.

Happy to send you a copy of the profile in due course.

Regards ..... Tony

Mike,

I have just acquired the Field Note books of Capt V O Robinson OC A Coy 1/6th Bn Sherwood Foresters. It covers the attack on Fosse 3 Lieven the following names are in his notes. Most without numbers but you may be able to cross reference. I will dig out the pocketbook of L/Cpl A E Bedford MM B Coy 1/6th as he lists more names.

here goes

Sgt Reece

Sgt Biggin

Sgt Rav(n)ey

Cpl Parkes*

Pte Hodlen?

7700 Sgt Monks

7646 Sgt Thompson

7702 Cpl E Glen????

7641 Cpl W N(H?)oyes

7703 Cpl Harris

7643 L/Cpl Russel

7692 L/cpl Beese?

7708 Pte S?elcher?

Signallers

Britten, Dawes,Drabble, Beastall, Mellor,Mitchell, Davis, Duke,Bates Wood, Ramsh(k)ill, Darwent.

others

Mapletoft, Ball, Monks, Parkes*, Hobbs, Bramwell,Lee to D Coy,Lomas, Cooper, Exford both to C Coy, later note Exford to be Sgt.

Biggen

Jackson to be L/Cpl

Haywood recommended for Cpl

Lewis Gunners

No 1 Plt: Bennett 25, Vardy, Marsh, Leake?, Burn,Leach

No 2 Plt: Bland, Straw, Millington?, Jessop, Hurley, Wright,Mather,Elvidge.

No 3 Plt: Evans, Hughes, Hawkins, Vick.

No 4 Plt: Brown J, Holford, Lilee, Morley, Pratt J, B, Skeath, Bellamy Sampson.

Officers mentioned 2/Lts Dolly(Dolley in War Diary) Higham

Hello Mike - hope you are still active here .......

I am preparing a WWI Book of Remembrance and also a Book of War Honours for FULNECK SCHOOL at Pudsey in Yorkshire.

Victor Owen Robinson attended the school and his name is on the Honours Board - I have a good photograph of the Board if you would like a copy

I see you have his Field NoteBook.

Would it be possible to get a photocopy of one of the pages so we can add it as a picture in the profile we prepare.

Happy to send you a copy of the profile in due course.

Regards ..... Tony

Mike,

I have just acquired the Field Note books of Capt V O Robinson OC A Coy 1/6th Bn Sherwood Foresters. It covers the attack on Fosse 3 Lieven the following names are in his notes. Most without numbers but you may be able to cross reference. I will dig out the pocketbook of L/Cpl A E Bedford MM B Coy 1/6th as he lists more names.

here goes

Sgt Reece

Sgt Biggin

Sgt Rav(n)ey

Cpl Parkes*

Pte Hodlen?

7700 Sgt Monks

7646 Sgt Thompson

7702 Cpl E Glen????

7641 Cpl W N(H?)oyes

7703 Cpl Harris

7643 L/Cpl Russel

7692 L/cpl Beese?

7708 Pte S?elcher?

Signallers

Britten, Dawes,Drabble, Beastall, Mellor,Mitchell, Davis, Duke,Bates Wood, Ramsh(k)ill, Darwent.

others

Mapletoft, Ball, Monks, Parkes*, Hobbs, Bramwell,Lee to D Coy,Lomas, Cooper, Exford both to C Coy, later note Exford to be Sgt.

Biggen

Jackson to be L/Cpl

Haywood recommended for Cpl

Lewis Gunners

No 1 Plt: Bennett 25, Vardy, Marsh, Leake?, Burn,Leach

No 2 Plt: Bland, Straw, Millington?, Jessop, Hurley, Wright,Mather,Elvidge.

No 3 Plt: Evans, Hughes, Hawkins, Vick.

No 4 Plt: Brown J, Holford, Lilee, Morley, Pratt J, B, Skeath, Bellamy Sampson.

Officers mentioned 2/Lts Dolly(Dolley in War Diary) Higham