Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion Notts and Derby (sherwood Foresters)

mikebriggs

Wow....that was prompt,

Many thanks Stuart, this is already proving to be an interesting project,

kind regards,

Dave.

Shea.jpg.9b4481eecb35a44a2ece90d34cd3f830.jpg

59d3c4a7e8a9b_Sheacopy2.jpg.24eb3bab8c8d736ef65317b842041eda.jpg

59d3c4b0b51d6_Sheaservice.jpg.cf93e042924e2885353d2f241c16c440.jpg

22 minutes ago, mikebriggs said:

Shea.jpg.9b4481eecb35a44a2ece90d34cd3f830.jpg

Shea copy 2.jpg

Shea service.jpg

Many thanks,

He was certainly an interesting chap, and the Mobilization book has a wealth of information local to the battalion including billets for horses and a list of farriers..listing how many horses can be shod in a day.

i have managed to build up a fairly comprehensive service history for surgeon-major Shea, I have all his gazette entries, and various other snippets including the above, but am unable to find the actual D.S.O. Citation.....any ideas??

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave.

Hi Dave here you go from Cliffs Housley's book

59d49854e0f89_SheaAWSurMajor.jpg.c7875031b79c5bb80864c39a6468c2ae.jpg

Hello Dave

Your little booklet may help resolve a query raised recently on another thread, concerning orders to mobilize.

Does the booklet mention whether moblization was deemed to be complete when the unit had received all its war equipment and maximum manpower at its peace station, or whether it was not until it was ordered to move to its war station? The query on the other thread concerned different dates, and it may be that the date of the move to a war station was the subject of separate orders.

There is no hurry on this, of course, but it would be appreciated if you could have a look.

Many thanks,

Ron

The 6th Bn War Diary starts with notes on its Mobilization in Aug-Sep 1914.  There are eight typewritten pages which are an interesting insight into the challenges of TF mobilization. 

the 7th Bn has some short notes

the 8th Bn has very detaile typewritten notes on Mobilization and the subsequent challenges of training reorganisation etc. 

All are well worth a look for anyone with Ancestry.com. 

1 hour ago, mikebriggs said:

Hi Dave here you go from Cliffs Housley's book

59d49854e0f89_SheaAWSurMajor.jpg.c7875031b79c5bb80864c39a6468c2ae.jpg

Cant thank you enough, 

just been through the gazette again and no sign of it even searching by edition number.

just goes to show, it's knowing where to search.

all the best,

Dave.

54 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Hello Dave

Your little booklet may help resolve a query raised recently on another thread, concerning orders to mobilize.

Does the booklet mention whether moblization was deemed to be complete when the unit had received all its war equipment and maximum manpower at its peace station, or whether it was not until it was ordered to move to its war station? The query on the other thread concerned different dates, and it may be that the date of the move to a war station was the subject of separate orders.

There is no hurry on this, of course, but it would be appreciated if you could have a look.

Many thanks,

Ron

i'll certainly have a look for you, looking through other threads there do seem to be an awful lot of grey areas with regards Mobilization of the T.F.

My plan is to try and transcribe the whole booklet at some stage, to save me having disturb it too much as I feel it's quite a rare survivor.

Just need to gag the wife and family to give me enough peace and quiet so I can concentrate!!!

Regards,

Dave.

43 minutes ago, QGE said:

The 6th Bn War Diary starts with notes on its Mobilization in Aug-Sep 1914.  There are eight typewritten pages which are an interesting insight into the challenges of TF mobilization. 

the 7th Bn has some short notes

the 8th Bn has very detaile typewritten notes on Mobilization and the subsequent challenges of training reorganisation etc. 

All are well worth a look for anyone with Ancestry.com. 

Many thanks, 

I'll have a look this evening once things are quiet....I wish!!

Dave.

On 04/10/2017 at 18:36, Ron Clifton said:

Hello Dave

Many thanks,

Ron

Evening Ron,

Moving to war station....12 th day of Mobilization.

it's quite clear in the first picture that the quartermaster would keep the Mobilization store well stocked with constant supply and a list of tradesmen capable of supplying enough stores at short notice if possible.

Appendix V111 shows a very concise day by day timetable for Mobilization, ending on the fourth day at 4pm with a parade in marching order at the school.

Appendix 1X rapid Mobilization..."it is expected that the Battalion will be ready to move early on the second day of Mobilization. It will be seen, therefore, that there is time only for the most important orders to be carried out. In the event of rapid Mobilization being ordered,the following scheme will be substituted for the fore-going instructions; but it must be understood, that if time permits, the Battalion scheme must be adhered to as much as possible." It goes on to list roles of various individuals but no timetable to the minute as in Apendix V111.

There is a table on page 4 totalling all ranks, giving battalion strength at 1007 men, with 15 attached men on Mobilization.

the last two pictures are the first two pages of the book, and are fairly self explanatory.

image.jpeg.7e46432d2b3257a5a90fb028807ab620.jpeg

image.jpeg.ca1750418b8b7c60f4ba24d0a580db7b.jpeg

image.jpeg.45b6fa1a5f5db62dbe25c299190acd35.jpeg

image.jpeg.31ff2f0e87d6b2482ff20c3491f3eb78.jpegi have gone through the most relevant sections only, but there is an absolute wealth of information on each page...enough to keep me going all winter!!

regards,

Dave.

9 hours ago, QGE said:

If you photograph the pages flat, it could be transcribed in a few minutes via OCR. It would be a valuable document. MG

The binding on the book is really nice and tight, and being as though it's over 100 years old, and a paperback, I really want to preserve it in its current state and not see it deteriorate.

The book has a financial value as I have never seen another, but most importantly the real value to people like us is the value in the content which is priceless. Transcribing the old fashioned way preserves the object but still allows us to study the contents.

I tried to photograph some of the middle pages concerning Mobilization, but could only see half of the text, hence the long winded version.

regards,

Dave.

• 11 months later...

Hi I am sorry I can see this conversation is very old however it popped up when I was trying to track down information about an ancestor of mine - Robert Thomas Bramwell Regiment 240558 with the 6th Battalion Notts and Derby. I am wondering whether anyone has any photographs or diary references/books I could try and locate. I have one photo of a man I believe to possibly be wearing the correct uniform which now I believe could be possibly Robert. I have attached said photo. Apologies however the image is a pocket photo. Any information that anyone has though would be very appreciated. 

39190068_226247958088489_2467150659317661696_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

My great grandfather William Wheatley was in the 6th Sherwood Foresters I believe the 139 Trench Mortar.

Private William Wheatley No 249439, the last number 9 could be a 0

Would you have any service  information about him..?

Thank You..👍

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any service file for your great grandfather, and would guess that (unless he served post 1920) it was one of those lost as the result of a fire in WW2. His medal roll records show that he was entitled to the 14/15 Star and British War and Victory Medals. They show that he first arrived in France/Flanders on 28.2.1915, and that he was 'disembodied' (i.e. discharged) on 24.1.1919. They note his overseas service as a 1/6th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters man. His arrival date ties in closely to when the Battalion arrived in France ( - war diary link on Ancestry here, or from the National Archives here), so it seems like he didn't arrive as a reinforcement. Presumably William must have volunteered for overseas service (by signing the Imperial Service Obligation) as at that that time in the war, due to their general 'terms and conditions' TF men didn't have to. His medal rolls shows that he had 2 service numbers - 2151 and 240439. That is because he was a Territorial Force soldier, and the TF were renumbered in 1917. His 240439 number falls within the number block (240001 to 265000) that was allocated to the line units of the 6th Battalion - see previous link. Allowing for 'drop outs' the medal roll indicates that the men were renumbered sequentially based on their previous 4 digit numbers. Looking at just a few men from the 6th Bn that do have surviving papers, you appear to get...

2107/24417 Bramwell - joined 27.1.1914

2108/240418 Depledge - joined 16.2.1914

2114/240422 Barker - joined 18.2.1914

2146/240436 Harrison - joined 1.3.1914

2151/240439

2216/240476 Taylor - joined 8.7.1914

2229/240482 Bottoms - joined 11.8.1914

2234/240485 Needham - joined 11.8.1914

It seems likely then that William was a pre war territorial, joining in Spring 1914.

6 hours ago, Paul White said:

I believe the 139 Trench Mortar.

William was awarded the Military Medal whilst attached to 139 Trench Mortar Battery.

image.png.b81a081e9fa4c4bf43bd14391dd32211.png

Image source: Findmypast

The award was announced in the London Gazette of 14th May 1919 - link. Unfortunately, there is no central source for MM citations. There is some general advice on how to try to research them here. There is no specific reference to it in the Battery war diary (Ancestry here, or the National Archives here). I did though see that he is noted as 'wounded' during operations of 17th to 30th November 1917; and as a 'casualty' from operations 9/10th May 1918. The diary is pretty scant on details on the operations, so it might be worth looking at the Brigade HQ diary to see if it adds more context. It probably will, but I haven't looked. At TNA the diary is here, and on Ancestry November 1917 starts  here. I think that the difficulty that you are left with in trying to map his overseas service is establishing precisely when William became attached to 139 TMB from 1/6 SF

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Chris

• 1 month later...
On 26/09/2018 at 12:12, victoria said:

Hi I am sorry I can see this conversation is very old however it popped up when I was trying to track down information about an ancestor of mine - Robert Thomas Bramwell Regiment 240558 with the 6th Battalion Notts and Derby. I am wondering whether anyone has any photographs or diary references/books I could try and locate. I have one photo of a man I believe to possibly be wearing the correct uniform which now I believe could be possibly Robert. I have attached said photo. Apologies however the image is a pocket photo. Any information that anyone has though would be very appreciated. 

39190068_226247958088489_2467150659317661696_n.jpg

Looks like the uniform of a 1/7th Robin Hoods man to me. 

On 26/09/2018 at 12:32, victoria said:

Sorry I also have a relative called Charles Fearn who was in the Notts and Derbyshire batallion T4/246126 so again the image could be of him

T/204, T4/246126, Charles Fearn, served with the  Army Service Corps. 

• 4 years later...

Hello I have just purchased a pair of medals to 7708 cpl b Skelcher notts derby regt,I see he is mentioned in an officers diary,the medals are in mint condition with original ribbons and have never been worn.

E15E64A3-BBDD-4EE2-B2DB-C0EE9050FFE6.jpeg

37A2727C-01ED-441F-8A56-224D69600E8D.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I realise this is an old thread but for a friend I am chasing info on his GGF 1146 / 240077 Pte John Wood of 6th Bn. Enlisted 27/4/09 discharged 5/4/19. From Litton Mill & probably in the Tideswell platoon pre war.

He was apparently seriously wounded & the family believed he did not return to France after that but with a 1919 discharge date perhaps that is not correct.

If anyone could help with info on him beyond what I have found in medal rolls etc & the excellent Derbyshire Territorials website I'd appreciate it

Greg

20 hours ago, augmauns said:

1146 / 240077 Pte John Wood of 6th Bn. Enlisted 27/4/09 discharged 5/4/19. From Litton Mill & probably in the Tideswell platoon pre war.

He was apparently seriously wounded & the family believed he did not return to France after that but with a 1919 discharge date perhaps that is not correct.

Pension records at WFA/Fold3 offer: Born: 1890 Discharge: 4.4.19

He made a claim for GSW R Hip & Thigh = at 16/8/20 to 3/10/22 his disability was still rated at 50% getting him 20/- pw plus 5/- for his wife

Through to 2/10/23 at 40% disability, 16/- pw and 9/5 pw for wife & two children by then.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Many thanks for the info. Presumably no indication as to when he was wounded?

Greg

8 minutes ago, augmauns said:

Presumably no indication as to when he was wounded?

No indication.

M

Thank you. Looks like we'll never know unless a family letter surfaces which is unlikely.

Greg