Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers Who Died in Different Conflicts

NeilEvans

These men are the uncle and father of the arctic explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes.

FIENNES

J E

Captain

2nd Bn Gordon Highlanders

21 yrs

18/06/1917

Son of Lt. Col. The Hon. Sir Eustace Fiennes, Bart., Governor of Leeward Islands, and the Hon. Lady Fiennes, O.B.E., of Government House, Leeward Islands, B.W.I

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=169454

FIENNES, Sir RANULPH

R

Lt-Col

Cdg. Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons)

41 yrs

24/11/1943

Son of Lt.-Col. the Hon. Sir Eustace Fiennes, 1st Bt., J.P., and Lady Fiennes, O.B.E.,

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2239438

• 9 months later...
Guest colinplews

Hi Peter

i hope your still a member of this site .

i was hoping you could contact me on here as i have some information about Norman Wilkinson

hope to hear from you

colin

Neil

My Dad's uncles:

Pte John William Wilkinson, KIA 8th Oct. 1918, 12th/13th Northumberland Fusiliers. Buried Prospect Hill Cemetry, Gouy.

Third Engineer Officer Norman Wilkinson, S.S. Sheaf Mount, KIA 24th Aug. 1942. Remembered on Tower Hill Memorial. Husband of Grace Wilkinson, Hexham.

Sons of William and Elizabeth Wilkinson of Shaw Well Farm, Corbridge-on-Tyne, Hexham. Both rememebered on the Hexham War Memorial.

I was pleased to be able to take my Dad and my kids to Prospect Hill. This is a lovely, small, peaceful cemetry.

Peter

At Essex Farm Cemetery, near Ypres:

Robert Jones

Private 24719, 14th Battn. RWF

Killed in action 5 October 1916 aged 21

Parents resident Wexham Street, Beaumaris, Anglesey

On his parents' gravestone at Beaumaris Cemetery is also commemorated his younger brother:

Edward Jones

Died in a fatal accident in France ?19 March 1940 aged 40

And stated to be buried at Warloy-Baillon

(Not listed by CWGC in the war cemetery there, nor generally as a Service/Civilian casualty by CWGC around that date).

At Llanidan Churchyard, Anglesey:

Robert Parry

Private 272168 Royal Army Ordnance Corps

"Died of the effects of the War" 5 October 1946 aged 26 (25 accdg. to CWGC)

And commemorating on his gravestone his elder brother:

At Ismailia War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt:

William Parry

Private 1349 1/6th Battn. RWF

Died 17 July 1916 aged 22 (25 accdg. to CWGC)

In the following Jones family from Aberffraw, Anglesey there were 6 adult sons and at least one sister. The eldest brother John Parry Jones married the sister of another local soldier who died 1916: she died four days later leaving him a widower. Two of his brothers died in the War, and he became a casualty in the Second-

At Kantara War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt:

William Jones

Private

266249 1/6th Battn. RWF

Died 12 December 1917 aged 30

At Acheux British Cemetery, France:

Henry Jones

Private

203726 17th Battn. RWF

Killed in action 26 June 1918 aged 20

On the Tower Hill Memorial, London:

John Parry Jones

Fireman

SS SCOTIA (sunk at Dunkirk)

Killed in action 1 June 1940 aged 60

LST_164

EDITED 25.3.11 as regards the Jones family entry

• 2 years later...

Richard Leigh Clare Hobson Lieutenant Kings Royal Lifeguards killed in action Englebrechts South Drift June 51900 age 24 and Alwyn Chadwyk Hobson Lieutenant 2nd Lifeguards killed in Action Pozner May 13th 1915 both sons of Richard and Mary Eleanor Hobson Bromborough, Wirral

I know this is an old thread, but....Richard (called Clare by his family) and Alwyn are my great great uncles, two of my great grandmother's brothers. In all they were 7 children, 2 girls and 5 boys, one of the boys died in childhood. Clare was in fact in the Kings Rifles, not the Life Guards; he was shot by a sniper at Schippen's Farm in the Boer war. Ironic, as he was apparently a fabulous shot himself. Alwyn, 15 years his junior was my great grandmother's favourite younger brother. He had very poor eyesight; indeed, the doctor only passed him as fit for military service as he thought it unlikely he'd see any action in the Life Guards. Unfortunately for him it didn't work out like that. Llike many of the cavalry he found himself off his horse and wallowing in the mud, where he met his and in the second battle of Ypres. Both Clare and Alwyn were Cambridge graduates. Alwyn's name also appears on the war memorial at Edensor, as my Great grandfather was the chaplain to the Duke of Devonshire at Chatsworth at the time.

My 3rd christian name is Alwyn, given to me to help keep his memory alive. I have the Scroll of honour with it's covering letter, both signed by George V which were sent to his grieving family.

• 2 years later...

Trooper Edward Ernest BRINDAL (sometimes recorded as Brindsall or Brindall) died at Sehikale Pan on 24 April 1900 of wounds sustained at Mafeking. He was serving with serving with Lieut. Colonel Plumer's Regiment of the Frontier Force. He's buried in Botswana.

2/Lieutenant Gladstone BRINDAL of the Gloucestershire Regiment died 24 March 1916. He is buried at Ste Marie Cemetery, Le Harve.

Both men were sons of Edward and Lucy Brindal of Bristol. Their other son died of the Spanish flu in November 1918, meaning they outlived all three of their sons.

Allie

post-13541-0-64111900-1463726242_thumb.j

post-13541-0-46918100-1463726256_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Lt John Ormond (Jack) Smellie died on August 8, 1917. It was in his third engagement, at Le Sars on the Somme on 1 October 1916, that he was hit in the neck and paralysed while advancing with his men. He was repatriated to England and spent some time at Netley Military Hosptal near Southampton before being moved to Sir John Ellerman Hospital at Regent's Park. His parents made the perilous wartime sea voyage to England to see their son. William Smellie had to return home in May 1917 but his wife Anne stayed on with her son whose condition worsened until he died on 8 August 1917. He was buried in Sutton Road Cemetery in Southend with full military honours.

His older brother, Major WIlliam Archibald (Archie) Smellie died on either May 31 or June 1, 1940 when the boat he was sailing to Dunkirk to help with the evacuation was hit and destroyed.

Both were educated at Cranleigh School and are commemorated on their war memorial.

• 3 years later...
On 31/01/2010 at 13:24, DaveC said:

Hi Neil

I came across this in my research and i thought it might interest to you

SIX BROTHERS KILLED

A FAMILY'S WONDERFUL RECORD

Pte William Clarke, of East Lancashire Regiment now in a Military Hospital at Ormskirk, is a member of a Lancashire family of which the war has exacted a terribly heavy toll.

He is one of nine brothers who were mobilised on the outbreak of the war all in the same regiment, and of whom six are killed, another is without his right arm as the result of wounds, and the youngest is still in the trenches.

the husbands of three of his sisters have also been killed, making a total of nine male members of the family killed out of twelve. Seven were killed in France and Flanders, and two in the Dardenelles, where Clarke himself was wounded. The family lived at Rawtenstall and the mother is a widow

(The Halifax Weekly Guardian 1915)

Hope it's of interest, and forum members can throw some more light on this family's Great Sacrifice. Kindest Regards DaveC

The Rossendale Free Press dated Saturday 2nd October 1915 exposes this article as Fake News 1915 style, summarized as “the outcome of the vivid imagination of some ‘penny a liner’ who was hard up for copy.”  It reads in full:

“A REMARKABLE WAR STORY – THE TALK OF THE ROSSENDALE VALLEY – WAS IT THE RESULT OF IMAGINATION?

A most remarkable story which, if it had been correct, would have been an unparallelled sacrifice for the Empire, went the rounds of the daily and Sunday Press  last week end.  Briefly, the story was that nine sons of a Rawtenstall widow had joined the Army at the outbreak of war, and of these no fewer than six had been killed in action.  Another had lost his right arm as a result of wounds and the youngest was still in the trenches. To complete the family tragedy the husbands of three of the widow’s daughters had also been killed, making a total of nine killed out of twelve.  Seven were stated to have been killed in France and Flanders, and two in the Dardanelles.

One of our representatives made enquiries into the matter and he found the widow, Mrs. Clarke who lived at Newchurch.  In the course of a conversation with her and her married daughter he was informed that she was the person referred to in the daily Press.  She stated that she only had two sons and one son, Driver William Clarke, of the Army Service Corps, East Lancashire Brigade, was at present an inmate of a military hospital at Ormskirk, he having been wounded in action in the Dardanelles.  Her other son, Ernest is now in the trenches.  Driver J. F. Cunliffe, of Newchurch, her son-in-law, who is in the Army Service Corps, has been wounded in France, and is now in Brighton.  Another son-in-law  Corporal Fred Mawdsley, of Haslingden, has not been out of England.

Mrs. Clarke cannot understand how such a story got into the papers.  It must have been the outcome of the vivid imagination of some “penny a liner” who was hard up for copy.

The ‘story’ has been the talk of the whole of the Rossendale Valley this week as nobody had any knowledge of any family on which the war had exacted such a terrible heavy toll.”

Edited by TullochArd

Granville memorial woodville derbyshire

I intend to check these over again but believe that three of the four Fairbrothers were brothers, their home is still standing as are all the others on the memorial - I believe to be brothers and some cousins

A R Fairbrother; F Fairbrother; A Fairbrother; H Fairbrother; G L Plummer; J Plummer; J W Batchelor; A J B Batchelor; 24946 A (POSs W) Canner; 25811 T Canner; W Adams; J Adams; 36008 F Parr; 32516 G R Parr; 17311 T Hyde; 23368 S Hyde; 35630 G C Smith; A J Smith

Granville is three small roads forming a little estate and terraced mining houses it is still quite sad to walk there and see how many were lost from this tiny area 38 on the memorial. 

7042 Private William Holmes, 2nd East Yorks. Regt., died at Bloemfontein, 5.6.1900, aged 19.

23397 Private Harry Holmes, 7th Canadians, killed in action in France, 3.6.1916, aged 26.

Edited by BereniceUK