Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers Who Died in Different Conflicts

NeilEvans

Andy,

In post 12 you have listed David Hancock Australian Volunteer Defence Corps.

Unless my memory is going (who knows) the VDC was a bunch of old codgers aka the home guard and never went overseas.

Both my uncle and grandfather were considering joining the VDC at ages 49 and 68 respectively

Cheers David

David,

There is a link to the Australian Volunteer Defence Corps here, but yes you are right.

Cheers Andy. :poppy:

Here is another set of brothers, this time three of them.

Name: DIGNAN, CECIL JOSEPH BURKE

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Army Provost Corps

Unit Text: A.C.M.F. 6 L. of C. Pro. Coy.

Date of Death: 18/07/1942

Service No: V145210

Additional information: Son of Charles Coleman Dignan and Angeline Victoria Dignan, of Roscommon, Irish Republic; husband of Alison Dignan, of Middle Brighton.

Cemetery: SPRINGVALE WAR CEMETERY, MELBOURNE

Name: DIGNAN, ALBERT GUY

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Regiment

Unit Text: 7th (South Irish Horse) Bn.

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Additional information: Son of Charles Coleman Dignan and Angline Victoria Dignan, of Ballinagard House, Roscommon.

Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL

Name: DIGNAN, JOSEPH PATRICK

Regiment/Service: Connaught Rangers

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Secondary Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/10/1916

Additional information: Son of Charles Coleman Dignan and Angeline Victoria Dignan, of Ballinagard, Roscommon.

Cemetery: KEMMEL CHATEAU MILITARY CEMETERY

Considering the gap between World War 1 and the Boer War is less than from WW1 and WW2, there must be a few cases between these two (albeit less casualties which reduces the possibility).

Korea and WW1 could also be possible?

It must also be probable that a Grandfather, father and son would have been killed say between Crimea, Boer War, WW1 and WW2?

Mark

Considering the gap between World War 1 and the Boer War is less than from WW1 and WW2, there must be a few cases between these two (albeit less casualties which reduces the possibility).

Korea and WW1 could also be possible?

It must also be probable that a Grandfather, father and son would have been killed say between Crimea, Boer War, WW1 and WW2?

Mark

Mark,

I have seen families of Australians where brothers served in the Boer War, WW1 and WW2. As for Korea, I couldn't see why not. It would take finding the elder fatalities and seeing if they had siblings in earlier conflicts. An example would be General Douglas MacArthur. He had no brothers who fell though.

An aside is another pair of Australian brothers.

Name: HARGREAVE, LESLIE LUPTON

Regiment/Service: Australian Army Ordnance Corps

Unit Text: A.C.M.F. Ord. Dept.

Date of Death: 13/03/1943

Service No: V148010

Additional information: Son of William Lupton Hargreave and Annie Maria Hargreave, of St. Kilda; husband of Elsie May Hargreave, of St. Kilda.

Name: HARGREAVE, ERNEST WALTER

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Unit Text: 23rd Bn.

Date of Death: 02/06/1918

Service No: 1942

Awards: M M

Cemetery: VIGNACOURT BRITISH CEMETERY

And just to top off another day, here are some more.

Name: MURRAY, ROY JAMES

Regiment/Service: Australian Army Dental Corps

Unit Text: A.C.M.F. L.H.Q. Dental Depot Stores

Date of Death: 15/02/1945

Service No: V91147

Additional information: Son of William Herbert and Bertha Caroline Murray; husband of Irene Mavis Murray, of East Kew.

Name: MURRAY, WILLIAM HERBERT

Regiment/Service: Australian Army Medical Corps

Unit Text: 6th Field Amb

Date of Death: 15/11/1915

Service No: 3202

Additional information: Son of William Herbert and Bertha Murray, of 205, Adair St., Ballarat, Victoria, Australia.

Cemetery: ARI BURNU CEMETERY, ANZAC

Name: SNOWBALL, THOMAS KEITH

Regiment/Service: Australian Headquarters

Unit Text: A.C.M.F. Vic. L. of C. Area.

Date of Death: 02/03/1943

Service No: V9489

Additional information: Son of Dr. William Snowball and Mary Snowball; husband of Anne Snowball, of Albury, New South Wales.

Name: SNOWBALL, JOHN HEARN

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: 108th Bde.

Date of Death: 15/09/1916

Additional information: Son of William Snowball, M.B., and Mary Snowball, of Melbourne, Australia.

Cemetery: GUILLEMONT ROAD CEMETERY, GUILLEMONT

Name: SNOWBALL, ERIC CHARLES

Regiment/Service: Australian Army Service Corps

Unit Text: 1st Div. Train

Date of Death: 29/06/1917

Service No: 5434

Additional information: Son of William and Mary Sophia Snowball. Native of Victoria, Australia.

Cemetery: BAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION (NORD)

Name: BERRIMAN, JOHN THOMPSON

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry

Unit Text: A.C.M.F. 13 Trg Coy.

Date of Death: 10/02/1943

Service No: V11840

Additional information: Son of William and Ann Berriman; husband of Erminia Annie Palena Berriman, of Armadale, Victoria.

Cemetery: ALBURY WAR CEMETERY

Name: BERRIMAN, FRANK

Regiment/Service: Australian Machine Gun Corps

Unit Text: 1st Coy.

Date of Death: 03/10/1917

Service No: 336

Additional information: Son of Ann Berriman, of Great Northern, Victoria, and the late William Berriman.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Found another two pairs of brothers, and here they are..........

Name: HEALY, REGINALD

Regiment/Service: Australian Army Pay Corps

Unit Text: A.C.M.F. D.F.O. 2 M.D.

Date of Death: 11/09/1942

Service No: N79587

Additional information: Son of Patrick Joseph and Anne Louise Healy; husband of Christine Dudu Healy, of Darlinghurst.

Cemetery: BOTANY GENERAL CEMETERY

Name: HEALY, CECIL

Unit Text: 19th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/08/1918

Additional information: Son of Patrick Joseph and Annie Louisa Healy, of 10, Bligh St., Sydney, New South Wales.

Cemetery: ASSEVILLERS NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

Name: HALPIN, JOHN

Regiment/Service: Australian Headquarters

Unit Text: A.C.M.F. Armd. Trg. Depot, HQ

Date of Death: 10/05/1941

Service No: N72969

Additional information: Son of Frank and Margaret Halpin; husband of Hilda Mary Halpin, of Willoughby.

Cemetery: NORTHERN SUBURBS GENERAL CEMETERY

Name: HALPIN, THOMAS FRANCIS

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 28/07/1916

Service No: 4670

Additional information: Son of Francis and Margaret Halpin, of Sloane St., Goulburn, New South Wales. Native of Goulburn.

Cemetery: PUCHEVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY

Another pair from Menai Bridge, Anglesey.

Jones, Robert. Private, 28906, 19th Bn. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Killed in Action 28/09/1917, Aged 18. Buried Fins New British Cemetery, Sorel Le Grande, France. Grave: I. AA. 13. Son of Owen and Elizabeth Ellen Jones, of Menai Bridge, Anglesey.

Jones, Roderick Griffiths. Private, 4202764, 132nd Coy. Pioneer Corps, Died 16/03/1944, Aged 31. Son of Owen and Elizabeth Jones, of Menai Bridge, Anglesey.

2 Kilsyth Brothers, my Great Uncles :poppy: : -

MCDONALD, DUNCAN

Initials: D

Regiment/Service: Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.

Date of Death: 26/04/1915

Service No: 2197

Additional information: Son of Alexander and Jeanie Macdonald, of 20, Register Rd., Kilsyth, Glasgow.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 42 and 44.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

McDONALD, RHODERICK

Initials: R

Regiment/Service: Scots Guards

Date of Death: 20/05/1942

Service No: 2698239

Additional information: Son of Alexander and Jane McDonald, of Kilsyth.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Extn. 2. Grave 536.

Cemetery: KILSYTH CEMETERY

A case of 4 brothers from Stafford who died.

Vincent Uzielli Bloor Died 25/08/1914

Brian Cotter Bloor Died 28/08/1941

Guy Hegan Bloor Died 20/11/1918

Ronald Terence Bloor Died 23/01/1918

Guest MacSpadger

While researching the first owner of a set of pipes I own, Graham Nelson, I discovered that he had died in WW1 aged 23 and his brother had died in WW2 aged 40. the following comes from Scots at War

Nelson, Graham. Lieutenant. 5th Bn, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). Scottish. Served during WWI and killed in France in August 1917 as a member of the Royal Flying Corps. The eldest son of Colonel William Nelson, OBE, TD, and Mary Nelson of Glasgow, a graduate of Glasgow Academy. Buried in Cathcart Cemetery, Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Nelson, Robert Marr (Roy),Lieutenant, 7th Battalion Parachute Regiment,Army Air Corps, Number 229770. Son of Col. William Nelson, OBE, TD and Mary Nelson (nee Benzie) of Glasgow. Died, aged 40, on 28th March 1945 while leading a small goup of volunteers in a reconaissance mission across the Maas River as part of Operation Plunder which became Operation Varsity. This account is given in a letter sent to his Mother by his Commanding Officer Lt Colonel Pine-Coffin. He was predeceased by his brother Graham Nelson, see above, who was killed in action during the First World War. Roy is buried in the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery Grave reference 41.D.3. Name submitted by his Nephew after whom he is named

Another couple of Australian Brothers.

Name: GRIFFIN, EDWARD DENIS

Unit Text: 13th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/06/1915

Service No: 1191

Memorial: LONE PINE MEMORIAL

Name: GRIFFIN, WILLIAM ALFRED

Unit Text: A.I.F. 2/12 Bn.

Date of Death: 01/01/1943

Service No: QX21753

Additional information: Son of Patric Edward and Mary Ann Agnes Griffin, of Sydney, New South Wales.

Cemetery: PORT MORESBY (BOMANA) WAR CEMETERY

Another pair of Australian brothers. One fell on Gallipoli, the other in New Guinea. Neither of them has a known grave.

Name: LANGLANDS, THOMAS HUNTER

Unit Text: A.I.F. 2/31 Bn.

Date of Death: 17/11/1942

Service No: NX67004

Additional information: Son of David and Alice Maud Langlands; husband of Eileen Alice Langlands, of Bondi, New South Wales.

Memorial: PORT MORESBY MEMORIAL

Name: LANGLANDS, ROBERT WHITTON

Regiment/Service: Australian Field Artillery

Unit Text: 2nd Bde. Ammunition Col.

Date of Death: 08/05/1915

Service No: 1435

Additional information: Son of David and Alice Maude Langlands, of Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia. Native of Gundabooka, Bourke, New South Wales.

Memorial: LONE PINE MEMORIAL

Neil

My Dad's uncles:

Pte John William Wilkinson, KIA 8th Oct. 1918, 12th/13th Northumberland Fusiliers. Buried Prospect Hill Cemetry, Gouy.

Third Engineer Officer Norman Wilkinson, S.S. Sheaf Mount, KIA 24th Aug. 1942. Remembered on Tower Hill Memorial. Husband of Grace Wilkinson, Hexham.

Sons of William and Elizabeth Wilkinson of Shaw Well Farm, Corbridge-on-Tyne, Hexham. Both rememebered on the Hexham War Memorial.

I was pleased to be able to take my Dad and my kids to Prospect Hill. This is a lovely, small, peaceful cemetry.

Peter

The graves of Vincent Uzielli & Brian Cotter Bloor.

Vincent Uzielli Bloor Died 25/08/1914

Brian Cotter Bloor Died 28/08/1941

Guy Hegan Bloor Died 20/11/1918

Ronald Terence Bloor Died 23/01/1918

post-31332-1261927116.jpg

Hello Mick, Neil and all

That's an extraordinary memorial, isn't it? (Image is available on Flickr.) It shows twenty-three medals between the father (the only one who died at home as an old man) and four sons, three of whom had the DSO. The Abadies are very interesting. It was their devoted stepmother who outlived the four sons and put up the memorial to them and her late husband; their own mother had died when they were young ( aged 1-10) four days after her return from India with Lieut-Col (as he then was) Abadie in April 1883 (Times Digital Archive). I saw the tombstone of Capt George Abadie in Kano, northern Nigeria in 2003, moved from his original burial place and damaged - it had been an imposing granite cross. He took part in the British attack on Kano in 1903, was the first Resident (=colonial governor of a province) of Zaria aged 29 and was known as 'the Ostrich Man' (because he kept ostriches) to the local Hausa-Fulani people. The letters he wrote home were fascinating. The eldest, Bertram, wrote a book called 'A Soldier in South Africa'.

It seems that none of them married - the youngest, Richard, was engaged in 1915 but the marriage was called off. So the family was wiped out. I guess there may have been cousins.

Liz

Hi Neil

In Canterbury Cathedral there is a memorial to the sons of Major General H R Abadie

Lieutenant H B Abadie 11th Hussars Died of Fever South Africia 25th February 1901

Captain G H F Abadie 16th Lancers Died of Fever Nigeria 11th Febuary 1904

Major E H E Abadie 9th Lancers K.i.a Messines Belgium 30th October 1914

Lt Colonel R N Abadie 2/KRRC K.i.a Nieuport Belgium 10th July 1917

The General out lived the first three and his wife out lived all four sons.

Mick

EGERTON-Charles Ralph-Major 36354, 98th (Surrey & Sussex Yeomanry) Field Regiment, Royal Artillery. Died 25th May 1940. Age 37. Son of Charles A. and Lady Mabelle Egerton, of Mountfield, Sussex. B.A. (Oxon). Buried in TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY, WIMILLE, Pas de Calais, France. Plot 15. Row E. Grave 4.

EGERTON-Edward Brassey-Captain, "D" Squadron, 17th (Duke of Cambridge's Own) Lancers. Died of wounds 6th November 1918. Age 27. Born 3rd MArch 1880. Son of C. A. Egerton, and Lady Mabelle Egerton, C.B.E., of Mountfield Court, Robertsbridge; husband of Lady Eleanor Rachel Egerton, daughter of 4th Marquess of Ormonde, married 17th March 1915. Buried in HABARCQ COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, Pas de Calais, France. Plot VIII Row E Grave 3

Correction to my post of yesterday:

The book 'A Soldier in South Africa' is the letters and writings of Eustace Egremont Abadie, not Bertram as I said, and they were not published by him but much later (ed. SB Spies, Johannesburg), in 1989. Three of the Abadies fought in South Africa but two, Eustace and Richard, survived to die in the Great War.

Hello Mick, Neil and all

That's an extraordinary memorial, isn't it? (Image is available on Flickr.) It shows twenty-three medals between the father (the only one who died at home as an old man) and four sons, three of whom had the DSO. The Abadies are very interesting. It was their devoted stepmother who outlived the four sons and put up the memorial to them and her late husband; their own mother had died when they were young ( aged 1-10) four days after her return from India with Lieut-Col (as he then was) Abadie in April 1883 (Times Digital Archive). I saw the tombstone of Capt George Abadie in Kano, northern Nigeria in 2003, moved from his original burial place and damaged - it had been an imposing granite cross. He took part in the British attack on Kano in 1903, was the first Resident (=colonial governor of a province) of Zaria aged 29 and was known as 'the Ostrich Man' (because he kept ostriches) to the local Hausa-Fulani people. The letters he wrote home were fascinating. The eldest, Bertram, wrote a book called 'A Soldier in South Africa'.

It seems that none of them married - the youngest, Richard, was engaged in 1915 but the marriage was called off. So the family was wiped out. I guess there may have been cousins.

Liz

• 3 weeks later...

From London Times of 25 Nov 1914:-

Major John Chrystie, Royal Garrison Artillery, Short Heath Lodge Farnham killed Nov 1914.

His twin brother Major George Chrystie, 25th Cavalry Frontier Force, killed in raid on May 2, 1912 on NW Frontier of India

Two Majors in different conflicts.

Mark

WHIBLEY, JACK

Initials: J

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 61st Field Coy.

Date of Death: 09/08/1915

Service No: 40383

Additional information: Son of George and M. J. Whibley. Born at Cliffe-at-Hoo, Rochester. His brother Alfred Whibley also fell in the 1914-1918 War and brother Leo Whibley fell in the 1939-1945 War.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. D. 16.

Cemetery: BRANDHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Yesterday, my wonderful fiance found a pair of brothers commemorated on a family headstone. Both died in seperated conflicts.

I thought it would be an idea to set up a list, like the Gallipolli and Brothers died on the same day threads.

Here are some to start off.

W. T. Dodd. Corporal, Shropshire Yeomanry Killed 07/03/1902

Dodd, George. Lance Corporal, AIF, Killed 25/05/1918

Clifford, Walter John Francis. Second Lieutenant, Irish Guards, Kia 27/05/1915

Clifford, George Gilbert Francis. Captain, Irish Guards, Died 21/05/1940

Herbert, Mervyn Horatio. Squadron Leader, Royal Air Force, Died 23/03/1943 (Viscount Clive)

Herbert, Percy Robert Captain. Welsh Guards, Kia 31/10/1916 (Viscount Clive)

Congreve VC DSO MC, William La Touche. Major, Rifle Brigade Kia 20/07/1916

Congreve DSO, Sir Geoffrey Cecil. Commander, Royal Navy, Died 28/07/1941

Wood, Harry. Gunner, Royal Artillery, Died 16/07/1943

Wood, William. George, Lance Corporal, King's Shropshire Light Infantry, Kia 05/03/1917

Twins

Moody, C.A, Second Lieutenant, Royal Flying Corps, Killed 21/08/1917

Moody, Henry. Flight Lieutenant, Royal Air Force, Killed Accidentally 28/04/1931

Possible

Dodd, J, Private. King's Shropshire Light Infantry Died in India 28/06/1921

Dodd, Walter. King's Shropshire Light Infantry, Died D-Day 06/06/1944

Neil

Hi Neil

I came across this in my research and i thought it might interest to you

SIX BROTHERS KILLED

A FAMILY'S WONDERFUL RECORD

Pte William Clarke, of East Lancashire Regiment now in a Military Hospital at Ormskirk, is a member of a Lancashire family of which the war has exacted a terribly heavy toll.

He is one of nine brothers who were mobilised on the outbreak of the war all in the same regiment, and of whom six are killed, another is without his right arm as the result of wounds, and the youngest is still in the trenches.

the husbands of three of his sisters have also been killed, making a total of nine male members of the family killed out of twelve. Seven were killed in France and Flanders, and two in the Dardenelles, where Clarke himself was wounded. The family lived at Rawtenstall and the mother is a widow

(The Halifax Weekly Guardian 1915)

Hope it's of interest, and forum members can throw some more light on this family's Great Sacrifice. Kindest Regards DaveC

• 4 months later...

It's been a while, but stumbled on these two yesterday.

From New Zealand.

Name: PRISK, EDWARD PAUL

Nationality: New Zealand

Regiment/Service: New Zealand Field Artillery

Unit Text: 5th Bty. 2nd Bde.

Date of Death: 13/05/1918

Service No: Z/2703

Additional information: Son of Paul and Margaret E. Prisk, of 5. Wellington St., Hamilton East, New Zealand. Born at Happy Valley, Nundle, New South Wales.

Cemetery: BROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: PRISK, JOHN RACKHAM

Nationality: New Zealand

Regiment/Service: New Zealand Artillery

Unit Text: 6 Field Regt.

Date of Death: 01/12/1941

Service No: 23194

Additional information: Son of Paul Prisk and of Margaret Ellen Prisk (nee Rackham), of Waihi, Auckland, New Zealand; husband of Valda Ruth Prisk, of Epsom, Auckland.

Cemetery: KNIGHTSBRIDGE WAR CEMETERY, ACROMA