Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up to Buchenkopf (The Tete de Faux)

egbert

Thank you for so rivetting a thread.

Now....post pics from the next walk, please.......so long as it is OK with Chester!

Bruce

Thanx Gwyn, any more Buchenkopf and surrounding area images?

Bruce -you wish I would....but I do understand very well now, that this forum prefers Somme and Flanders stuff

NO!

Although most of us on the Forum are British, and thus besotted with Ypres and the Somme, there are some of us who also find other areas of interest. So please don't think that we aren't fascinated with this thread.....and want more!

Bruce

This is a good thread and Egbert and Gwyn deserve our thanks. I don't regard it as having been poorly received by those whose primary interest is Ypres and the Somme.

Not me. I simply showed Egbert where the path goes. He took the photos and went to the trouble of preparing them for the forum.

Thanx Gwyn, any more Buchenkopf and surrounding area images?

No, it's your thread! My photos are elsewhere on the Internet. Most of the old photos I could reproduce are of le Linge and HWK. Most of my own need editing!

Mick, are you out there for translation? You are not hiding away are you?

Perhaps the cat has got Mick's tongue (as they say in America). :huh:

• Admin

Superb photos Egbert and Gwyn. I'm also very glad to see Chester fully recovered from his major surgery.

Michelle

For the purpose of comparison, click here to see what a German pillbox evolved into by 1938, when thousands similar to the one pictured were built on the German western frontier from north of Aachen to the Swiss border. In parts of Germany these are now being demolished. The accompanying text is also worth reading. The link is to the Siegfried Line Campaign, by Charles B. MacDonald, U.S. Army Center of Military History, 1963.

An interesting comparison.

In looking at the plan, and cross section, where is the latrine?

Bruce

It's curious how different people see things. I recall the graves but most of all I was awed by the memorial and its message -

Many have photos and many have the haunting inscriptions - disparu au Linge - tué au Schratzmännelé - tombé au assaut du Linge - disparu au Linge - disparu au Linge - disparu au Linge - Linge - Linge - Schratzmännelé Schratzmännelé Schratzmännelé Linge Linge Linge

Is what I see in German as the Lingenkopf actually la Linge? Or perhaps the Lingenkopf is the summit of la Linge massiv?

Bob Lembke

An interesting comparison.

In looking at the plan, and cross section, where is the latrine?

Bruce

Just go to the rear, and turn hard left. It is right next to the Jacuzzi.

Bob

I hope the latrine interested pals have done their business by now and we can go on here with the Vosges and the men and their sacrifices.

Bob, to answer your question about Linge: actually it is a combination of summits connected by anticlines comprising of (from North to South) : Lingekopf 985m alt., Col du Linge (anticline) 987m alt., Schratzmännele being the highest in this mountain range at 1045m alt., Barrenkopf 981m alt. ending in Kleinkopf at 940m alt. before decending towards Münster town. All of them saw same extreme fierce and brutal combat at very close range. The Lingenkopf serving today as the show-me-bunker-trench-summit littered with tourists. The neighboring mountains I have just mentioned are much less frequented and except Schratzmännele show the same great features like trenches, blockhouses, walled parapets etc like the Buchenkopf. The next day after Chester's Buchenkopf climb, I did the Schratzmännele_Barrenkopf_Kleinkopf and also took tons of stunning pictures.......

Bob, I have used the French words throughout, though the spelling sometimes varies within French. As you read German, maybe this multilingual site here will help.

(Interesting photos and letters here, too.)

Would anyone be prepared to have a go at translating the inscriptions Egbert posted, please?

Gwyn

Pete, thanks for the interesting link. I visited some dragons teeth at the Siegfried Line in May and this put them into context. I won't post a photo...

Sorry for the tiny deviation, Egbert.

The Lingenkopf serving today... littered with tourists.

There was absolutely no-one at le Linge when I took my dusk snow photos and my photos of Hohrod Military Cemetery in the snow. Go out of season and always avoid weekends.

Very good photo sequence.

When I visited Le Linge (at the height of summer) we were completely alone. Trenches, carved from the solid rock, were impossibly close together. Live cartridges were protruding from the parapet. We stayed in a gite in a small community at Tannach and there was a German bunker in the garden. The owner used to collect very large snails there for cooking.

Thank you Egbert for all the photo's and the day to day account in your thread. You have really opened up a complete new area of WW1 to me. Thank you.

Peter

Not at all a literal translation, but an attempt to grasp the essence of the inscription:

Wanderer verweile in Andacht

und künde zu Hause

wie wir als Männer gefallen

in Treue zur Heimat

Spare us a thought as you pass by

And later when you homeward hie

Tell of the men who here did die

To their country true ...

Obvious resonances of the epitaph of King Leonidas and the Spartans who sold their lives so dearly at Thermopylae.

Wir liegen zusammen in Reih und Glied

Wir standen zusammen im Leben

Drum gleiches Kreuz und gleicher Schmuck

Ward uns aufs Grab gegeben

Nun ruhen wir aus vom heissen Streit

Und harren getrost der Ewigkeit

We lie together in death

As we stood together in life

The same cross and memorials

Were placed upon our graves

Now we take our rest from strife

And patiently await eternal life

Thank you, Mick. That's appreciated.

Gwyn

Another remarkable thread from Egbert with great additions from other forum members (you know who you are!) I know next to nothing about the war beyond the Somme but having paid a flying visit to Verdun and Mort Homme last summer I have become more and more aware of the war from the French perspective. Egbert and Chesters' photos in this thread have given me yet another episode of the war and the extremities of nature in which it was fought, goodness knows what lays beneath the green carpet (Chester knows where to step though)

Perhaps a naive question, but how much artillery was used here?

cheers, Jon

Jon, look at the photos of blown-down trees that Gwyn posted to see the effect of artillery fire.

Yes Pete, the artillery fire was terrible and materiel and men were blown at pieces like anywhere else during the GW. The forested mountains were blown to match size remnants and still today the summits did not recover from the artillery destruction. There are some accounts from survivors on the web -they tell of fierce artillery- as well as infantery fighting.

Are you guys ready for the Schratzmännele_Barrenkopf_Kleinkopf? A new thread or continue here?