Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up to Buchenkopf (The Tete de Faux)

egbert

It must have cost superhuman efforts to bring the wounded down.

Indeed. Even with nothing more than a bag to carry, it's a steep, demanding, frustrating descent. Speed is not possible. There are numerous remnants of shelters in which I presume emergency treatment or rest for descending casualties was possible.

Great pictures, Egbert.

Gwyn

You're absolutely right Gwyn.

Well, for those poor chaps who did not make it during the surgery or for those who were carried down dead, their last resting place is just a mere 20-30 meters opposite of the hospital bunker. A beautiful ancient German military cemetery surprises the wanderer. High fir trees , moss and silence lets you reflect what may have happened here a long time ago.

Chester waits at the entrance and wants me to follow him to the sacred ground

post-80-1250004841.jpg

2 Bavarian soldiers. I can decipher that the latter died "oben auf dem Buchenkopf"

and "Nun ruhest Du in Waldes Schatten"

post-80-1250005803.jpg

Sorry to break the picture sequence, but I have to show you one more from the summit that clearly shows the summit situation: I am standing in the first French line, looking over the 30 meter No-Mans-Land towards the German lines with the German summit fortress Buchenkopf in the background

post-80-1250007633.jpg

Can Gwyn or Egbert please point us to photos and accounts of the fighting in this area, preferably in English, but if not, in French or German.

Yes, I can. I have a detailed account which I think I would need to scan if I haven't saved it to my PC. Bear with me, please and I'll see what links I have stored. I'm afraid I don't think I have anything in English and my books are in French.

Gwyn

Really remarkable thread, Egbert.

Not familiar with this formation, but have made a bit of a study of HWK, as the Flammenwerfer were used there upon occasion, including in the dead of winter. One can imagine fine military minds trying to think what could be added to make the conditions even worse. The privations of the soldiers were remarkable. But the hills have returned to a peaceful state. Quite moving. Thanks.

Bob Lembke

Try this. TdF is on page 11.

Still looking.

Paul, the continuation of the picture thread tomorrow will show the present cemetery, where all dead from Buchenkopf were relocated later.

Mick there are several links, just google for Buchenkopf and Tete de Faux; you'll find sites like

this and also here

... please point us to photos and accounts of the fighting in this area, preferably in English ...

Okay Mick, you asked for it, click here for a description of fighting in the area that is written in English. :P

Egbert, the pictures and commentary are fantastic. Could you help a geographically-challenged Texan locate where this wonderful climb took place, maybe a nearby town I could 'google'?

Many thanks,

Ann

I hope Egbert doesn't mind if I add a litte more, as there are several Bonhommes in France.

Ann, if you do a search on Google maps for Col du Calvaire (you might need to add 68370, which is the postal code), and then zoom out, you'll see a village called le Bonhomme to the north east. (The postal code for this is 68650.) Le Col du Calvaire is next to a label which says Forêt des Hospices de Nancy. The mountain area called la Tête des Faux is between le Col du Calvaire and le Bonhomme.

Egbert's walk started by driving up one of the little roads at the west of the village (the one by the cemetery, if you have the satellite view open). He drove south east from le Bonhomme up into the forest to a holiday premises called the Gîte d'Étang and from there he walked through the forest up to the summit of the mountain. It's possible to continue the walk down the other side of the mountain to le Col du Calvaire.

(Lac Blanc in my picture is just south of that.)

To the east of the map is a village called Lapoutroie (or La Poutroye on some old maps). This is where the funicular railway shown in Egbert's photos started.

If it's ok with Egbert, I'll scan and post some of my 1920 Michelin Guide which has photos and clear maps written for grieving families and battlefield tourists.

Gwyn

Where to start?

I am using the Guide Michelin L'Alsace et les Combats du Vosges Vol II (1920). Unfortunately it doesn't have photos of la Tête des Faux, possibly because this is aimed at motorists, not walkers. It mentions it as sommet enlevé par les Français le 22 décembre 1914 but says it is impracticable aux autos.

Faced with hundreds of pictures, I picked a few that might help to illustrate Egbert's findings.

This is how the traveller in 1920 ascended:

3813947751_f96515be92_o.jpg

I can tell you that driving up the back road to Reichackerkopf in 2008 in a modern and quite well powered car with decent suspension and brakes was hairy. I imagine that the 1920 trip, through uncleared battlefields, might have been rather nerve-wracking.

Two views to illustrate the landscape at the summits.

German fortifications at the summit of le Linge.

3814760606_953e44d736_o.jpg

and a view looking towards Schratzmaennele:

3814755380_ee7fc274bc_o.jpg

Schratzmaennele is one of the awful places in the history of the area; thousands died.

A panorama:

3814754788_3e62a9f944_b.jpg