Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up to Buchenkopf (The Tete de Faux)

egbert

Two to illustrate the snow:

3814755950_14bf569149_o.jpg

(I'm sorry about the artefacts; I haven't got time to spend getting rid of them.)

And a page to illustrate the roads at the summits after the war:

3814753912_b7261bbd98_b.jpg

See the caption to the top one: the trench on the right of the road is German and the French are lower to the left. Egbert mentioned the close proximity of the protagonists. I'll add one of my own to reinforce that.

Taken at la Courtine, near le Linge, where the German and French trenches are no more than 15 metres apart. I could stand in one and clearly see the details of a fern in the other and think that the enemy was as unimaginably close as that. In fact, the wide angle lens makes them seem further apart than they are.

3814022561_feb940445e.jpg

There is a beautiful village near, Turckheim, with good restaurants etc and town criers who walk about each night, they say this has been continuous since medevial times, storks too!

Well Gwyn, these are extremely interesting scans which complement the story exceptionally well. Can we hope for more please?

And- your pictures mentioning Schratzmännele and other mountains - wel this was my walk the next day of which I have also tons of pictures, but certainly they do not fit into this thread but could serve as materiel for another thread "My walk from Schratzmännele via Barrenkopf to Kleinkopf" :hypocrite:

Let me continue with this thread while Gwyn hopefully scans more 1920s:

After visiting the ancient German cemetery and the hospital bunker near Gite Etang du Devin, I decided to pay respect to the soldiers once buried there and later relocated to the nearby German military cemetery Hohrodberg which is just a 20 min ride away. On my way I passed the French equivalent cemetery Wettstein, where French soldiers killed on buchenkopf are buried today. Here is the French cemetery:

post-80-1250096552.jpg

The last picture from French Wettstein cemetery. Sadly vandals seem to have visited the French cemetery. The registry book is ripped off and the cover is missing. I think the French authorities need to take a bit more care.......

post-80-1250097089.jpg

.....whilst the German military cemetery Hohrodberg is in excellent shape (registry perfect condition, although both cems are only some 3-5-km apart). A great thank you to 'Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge' (VdK) for well maintaining the graves of our dead. My donations seem to be well invested.

So it is here the ancient cemetery graves were relocated to. Here are the brave soldiers killed in action to include the Buchenkopf killed

post-80-1250097619.jpg

Egbert & Gwyn, I appreciate the geographical references. I've always loved maps and being able to locate where all these great pictures were taken makes them even more meaningful to me.

many thanks,

ann

This is the typical German grave decoration when somebody pays respect to a fallen soldier he was acquainted with (the Brit poppie equivalent)

post-80-1250098916.jpg

How many names are inscripted on the plaques in front of the mass grave (Kameradengrab), how many were killed in action at Buchenkopf, carried down to the hospital bunker or the ancient cemetery.....

post-80-1250099108.jpg

The Kameradengrab is framed by two massiv columns. This one reads:

"Wanderer verweile in Andacht

und künde zu Hause

wie wir als Männer gefallen

in Treue zur Heimat"

I surely fulfill this oath by posting this thread to GWF and ask you to spare a second for all the unhappy souls

@ Siege Gunner: please try a nice Oxford Engl. translation and post it here as my English is just limited to Texan and Alabama Engl.

post-80-1250099616.jpg

The other one has a disrespectful bullet hole and reads:

" Wir liegen zusammen in Reih und Glied

Wir standen zusammen im Leben

Drum gleiches Kreuz und gleicher Schmuck

Ward uns aufs Grab gegeben

Nun ruhen wir aus vom heissen Streit

Und harren getrost der Ewigkeit"

@Siege Gunner: at your disposition please!

post-80-1250100018.jpg

This will be my last picture from my climb up to the Buchenkopf. It took a lot of effort and I appreciated all your comments. I hope this was interesting to the British reader as this battleground has seen the same fierce combat like Flanders and Somme. If you liked it, spare a second to all soldiers from both sides who lost their lives there and gave us food for thought

post-80-1250100346.jpg

Thank you, Egbert, for sharing your walk in such detail. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I would very much appreciate a translation of the German texts you quote, as I don't read German.

I think a separate thread on your other walk would be great!

Egbert.

It's been a great thread and I hope will make more British people visit these sites. The war in the Vosges must have been incredibly hard for both sides, due to the terrain and the winter weather. I think the same could be said about the Italian / Austrian front as well. I learnt a lot from my visit and anyone who has only visited the Somme or Ypres will be stunned by what they find.

John

There is a beautiful village near, Turckheim ...

Just for you...

3817543454_ff3c45bb7e_b.jpg

Place Turenne. No storks - they've been reintroduced to Alsace now and some towns, like Munster, are seriously over-storked.

Guide Illustrés Michelin des Champs de Bataille - l'Alsace et les Combats des Vosges 1914 - 1918 - Vol.1. 1920

The French cemetery Egbert showed. I have to say when I was there in May, it was very well maintained.

3817543852_a5e0692486_o.jpg

It's curious how different people see things. I recall the graves but most of all I was awed by the memorial and its message -

3816731019_154d15a1b4.jpg

This is massive. I had to crouch down with a 10-22 mm lens to get the whole structure in (other photos). At the foot of it is a bronze(?) sculpture of a soldier, with his abandoned weapon. As you approach, there are walls where French families are allowed to put personal memorial plaques. Many have photos and many have the haunting inscriptions - disparu au Linge - tué au Schratzmännelé - tombé au assaut du Linge - disparu au Linge - disparu au Linge - disparu au Linge - Linge - Linge - Schratzmännelé Schratzmännelé Schratzmännelé Linge Linge Linge

It's extremely haunting, yet you also feel like an intruder into their private grief.

But despite the poignant exhortations on the memorials, this beautiful place and its people suffered all over again twenty years later.