Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up to Buchenkopf (The Tete de Faux)

egbert

Thank you very much to all who replied, such detailed helpful information too. It's only a few weeks since I returned from the Somme and Ypres and I am already committed to another trip back to those areas next year so it looks like 2011 before I get to Verdun and the Vosge, but they have definitely moved into the must be done category. Let's see Verdun/ Vosge 2011 and Gallipoli 2013 and Somme/ Ypres in the alternate years. That should see me through to retirement nicely :D

Len

See http://www.xs4all.nl/~aur/layout/frames.ht...attlefields.htm for some English articles on the Vosges/Alsace.

Yes; I drew attention to it in post 47 of the other thread here.

Len - the information may be useful for other readers too, so thanks for asking.

Gwyn

Karlsruhe-Baden airport (FKB) which is only some 45 minutes away from Buchenkopf. I started my trips from nearby the airport

:o

Where did you park the Typhoon?

:o

Where did you park the Typhoon?

Thanks for pointing out that I only park Dreideckers. It takes 1.5hrs up to Le Bonhomme from Baden airport

• 3 weeks later...
Can Gwyn or Egbert please point us to photos and accounts of the fighting in this area, preferably in English, but if not, in French or German.

Back to this question - sorry for the delay. You might find this book interesting. (I have just shared this link with another forum - apologies for duplication, but not everyone views both).

"A Crusader in France" - 'A Crusader of France; the letters of Captain Ferdinand Belmont of the Chasseurs alpins (August 2, 1914-December 28, 1915)' - English translation of 'Lettres d'un officier de Chasseurs alpins'. Belmont died in action in 1915.

(Downloadable as a .pdf but there are a few browser glitches reading online.)

Chapters II (the Vosges), VI (Fecht valley), VII (Metzeral), and VIII (Lingenkopf) relate his experiences in this area.

Gwyn

Thank you Egbert and Gwynn for the photos and commentaries. I have been away most of the summer but have popped in from time to time and have enjoyed this thread tremendously.

peter

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This picture corresponds to the images in post #122/123. It's about the same place where these pictures where taken

post-80-1271353724.jpg

Very chilling, Egbert. Thanks - and for the winter pictures too.

• 1 year later...

Egbert, I've done la Tête des Faux in July and in September. Both times I was knackered. And ravenous. Fortunately the auberge at Col du Calvaire does pleasant enough food. Last Sept I went up la Tête des Faux and then went to Trois-Epis for some food and then did the cemetery and then went somewhere else. I plan the days so as not to waste fuel or time. I never rest when I'm on holiday - I take the attitude that I'm only there for a few days, and it's an investment of time and money, so I want to do as much as possible.

I'm taking my dad next year. He's 78 and I'm still very much in the planning phase of the trip. Any sites that are likely to be out of the question?

No point spoiling his trip if we can be visiting those that are easier to get to instead.

Thanks.

Enjoyed this thread Egbert for me also this is an area i know little of only in past weeks have i come across some pics on flicr of this area from the german side.john

• 2 months later...

I'm taking my dad next year. He's 78 and I'm still very much in the planning phase of the trip. Any sites that are likely to be out of the question?

No point spoiling his trip if we can be visiting those that are easier to get to instead.

Thanks.

If it isn't too late, I can help you with this. I can't send you a private message until you have 5 posts.

Gwyn

• 4 years later...

Excellent film. It is very interesting to see the construction of entanglements, the erection of shelters and the equipment required to protect from gas. I'm amazed at how much is done with bare hands - such as handling barbed wire - in those temperatures and with the risks posed by the work itself. I'm pretty sure I will have walked up one of those mule tracks.

I also watched part of the next film, "Devant Metzeral" and will return to that one.