Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Police officers who fought in the Great War

J Banning

40 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

He was discharged by purchase on 27 September 1907 and joined the Royal Fleet Reserve the following day.

Thanks horatio2.

1 hour ago, Toontraveller said:

He was killed on the 15 th October 1914 onboard HMS Hawke a training ship, whilst off the  coast of Aberdeen, by U-9.

HMS HAWKE had been employed as a training cruiser before the war but was now serving in the 10th Cruiser Squadron, enforcing the blockade of Germany.

5 hours ago, Toontraveller said:

I recognise this is an old post but have just discovered it whilst researching Metropolitan Police Officers who died in WW1. Just in case someone in the future is researching him I have included some details below.

Frederick Charles Raines dob 9 .3.1882 born Throwley, near Faversham, Kent .

He applied to join the Metropolitan Police and was examined for appointment on the 13 th August 1907. At that time he was living at 11 Redress Road, Chalk Pit Hill , , Kent. Chatham. He was described as 5’9” tall, blue, eyes, fair complexion, light coloured hair. He was still serving in the Royal Navy, where he had completed 7 years service at the  time of his application . Stoker RN 296016.

He joined the Metropolitan Police (MP) on  4.11.1907 allocated warrant number 95115 and posted to J Division ( Hackney, East London) where he remained throughout his service. As a Royal Navy  reservist ( RFR/CH/B/4733) he was recalled to the Royal Navy on the 2 nd August 1914 .

He is recorded in MP Police Orders dated 5.8.1914 as Pc 282 J Division warrant number 95115 Raines. 

He was killed on the 15 th October 1914 onboard HMS Hawke a training ship, whilst off the  coast of Aberdeen, by U-9.

His death was reported in MP Police Order 24.10.1914.

He is remembered on Chatham Naval Memorial, Kent and The Metropolitan Police  Roll of Honour.

I have not fully researched him yet but will do in the next week or so.

I managed to have a quick check tonight and also killed alongside PC Raines on HMS Hawke was Pc Frank Smith 552 R Division

( Greenwich) Warrant number 95332.

Born 25.1.1883 at Hunsdon, Hertfordshire. 

Joined the Royal Navy 25 th January 1901 purchased shore leave 23 rd November 1907.

Joined the Metropolitan Police 6 th January 1908.

He was also a RN reservist recalled to the Navy via MP Police order 5.8.1914. RN service number ( Chatham base) 202637  and Reserve number RFR/CH/ B4823.  Apologies no photograph of him just yet.

4 hours ago, horatio2 said:

HMS HAWKE had been employed as a training cruiser before the war but was now serving in the 10th Cruiser Squadron, enforcing the blockade of Germany.

Thank you horatio2. 

On 28/11/2021 at 13:06, Toontraveller said:

In relation to the post regarding Police Officers who served in the Scots Guards I know of 6 Metropolitan Police Officers who were killed during WW1 whilst serving in the Scots Guards 

I am sure there are more who survived but will have to look up my research today or tomorrow and post the details when I have a moment. There were about 4,500 who served in WW1  from the Metropolitan Police.

It was I who asked this question back in 2014.

Research in various places led me to identify 5 Metropolitan Police officers who died or were killed whilst serving with the Scots Guards.

They were:-

John William Bullard

William Reynolds

Gordon Smith

Hugh Kenneth Tolmie

Edward Whorley

I found one other man, Joseph Collins, who had previously been a Constable in the Met, but I believe he had left prior to the War.

I'd be interested to know if these are the men that you have identified, and any that I might have missed. 

Thanks.

TwoEssGee, good morning.

Thank you for your response.

I am out all day today and will look up details tonight for you when I get back home when  I will be able to access the research .

21 hours ago, TwoEssGee said:

It was I who asked this question back in 2014.

Research in various places led me to identify 5 Metropolitan Police officers who died or were killed whilst serving with the Scots Guards.

They were:-

John William Bullard

William Reynolds

Gordon Smith

Hugh Kenneth Tolmie

Edward Whorley

I found one other man, Joseph Collins, who had previously been a Constable in the Met, but I believe he had left prior to the War.

I'd be interested to know if these are the men that you have identified, and any that I might have missed. 

Thanks.

Hi, on checking my records tonight I have the following Metropolitan Police  Officers who were killed or DOAS whilst serving with the Scots Guards. 

1. PC 352 J Division warrant number 103041 John William Bullard -  Private 18654   Scots Guards DOAS 23.10.1918.

2. William Reynolds - No trace , only one Reynolds killed but not a William Reynolds, would like to more details if possible. PM me to discuss?
3. PC 602 E Division warrant number 96592 Gordon Smith - Private 12360 2 nd Battalion Scots Guards . DoW 2.7.1916. Reservist recalled to Regiment (Met. Police  Order dated 8.8.1914) 

4. PC 390 L Division warrant number 90380 Hugh Kenneth Tolmie - L/Cpl. 11536 2 nd Battalion Scots Guards KIA 18 th May 1915

5. PC 971 Y Division warrant number 103626 Edward Whorley - Private 6246 1 st Battalion Scots Guards KIA 17.6.1916. reservist recalled to Regiment ( Met. Police  Order 8.8.1914) 

6. Joseph Collins  no information would like to know more please.

7. PC 289 M Division warrant number 103432 Edwin John Burge - Private 7393 1 st Battalion Scots Guards. KIA 12.11.1914. Reservist recalled to Regiment.(Met.Police Order 8.8.1914) 

8. PC 904 S Division warrant number 103364 Fred Hutchinson L/Cpl. 6050 1st Battalion Scots Guards KIA 14.9.1914. Reservist recalled to Regiment ( Met.Police Order 8.8.1914) 

9 PC  826 R Division warrant number 102829 James A Oliver - Sgt. 6406 2 nd Battalion Scots Guards KIA 25.12.1915.  Reservist recalled to Regiment ( Met.Police Order 8.8.1914)

Any questions just send me a message and I will check details.Hope this helps. 

Thank you very much for this information. I was unaware of Burge, Hutchinson and Oliver having been Scots Guardsmen.

I've sent you a PM regarding Reynolds and Collins.

Thanks.