Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Police officers who fought in the Great War

J Banning

Pal's,

moving slightly off thread, in the Met there was a lot of ex services joined up after WW2. When they all started to reach the end of their 25/30 year service it caused a bit of a manpower crisis in the 70's as so many were leaving. This led to large scale recuitment (and lowering standards, thats how I crept in! :huh:)

This in turn created another man/woman power shortage as we all reached our 30 years and retired recently!

Off thread, but I thought I would share it with you! :D

Best wishes,

Scottie.

My grandfather a policeman had a special letter he showed to people when they went in to white feather mode. he eventually joined up in early 1917. Its posted on this thread "Anti white feather pass"

Marth,

I had missed this on the other thread, was unaware such a thing was issued, thanks for bringing it to attention,

Regards,

Scottie.

Thanks to all of you, it seems that anyone who was not in some sort of uniform was the target of the

"White feather brigade" and subjedt to lots of harassment

David

Hello all.

The Newport Borough Police (Monmouthshire) history published in the 60's has a nominal roll of those who served as an appendix.

Gareth

I am surprised that police were allowed to join up at all.

Some were Reservists who were called up. Of the seven casualties suffered by Caernarfonshire Constabulary at least one, L/Cpl Orris of the Grenadier Guards was a Reservist.

Another four were Welsh Guards (formed 1915) and the other two had Service battalion numbers. I haven't any info to suggest previous military service in their cases.

So that's five out of the seven in the Guards. I wonder if this ratio is reflected in the other Forces?

Hywyn

There's a book written about Victorian Police (in Australia) who served in WW1. It's called "They Served in Blue, Khaki and Blue" and was written by Malcolm Grant.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Hi Hywyn,

Of the 58 casulties from the Glamorgan Constabulary 27 of them were from various guards Regiments.

Despite the fact they were big lads all 5' 10" plus ,virtually none of my local lads were Scots Guards men, lots of Royal Scots and various RAMC men, which makes sense a big man can carry a smaller one easier, proobably why my Grandad at 6' ended up in the RAMC, he was a baker though.

Always strikes me how much bigger policemen looked compared to squaddies.

Couple of examples 1 2

John

John,

I'm surprised few Edinburgh City were in the Guards.

If you check out the Fife History(Colleagues,Fife is the adjoining Police Force to Edinburgh,over the River Forth) there is a photo taken in Catherham in June 1915 showing 12 members of the Force serving as Scots Guards.

George

Hi George

Should have qualified that, I was referring to Midlothian County Constabulary, you are right, Edinburgh City did indeed have a good few Guardsmen in their ranks, the County men seemed to have an affinity with other regiments, mainly 8th RS, a good few were ex-service men recalled to the colours.

The 16th (service) City of Cardiff Battalion The Welch Regiment, contained a lot of the old bill, and there where a lot of pictures taken of this Batt, but am not aware of any book that deals solely with the 16th, 38th Div by the way.

Hi

With reference to Post #12, I am reliably informed that the North Riding Police war memorials are to be reinstated inside the North Yorkshire headquarters building and my contact is at present waiting to hear that this has been done.

For anyone interested in the West Riding Police Force, Jack Alderson, a former superintendent in the Force published a history in 2001 and in appendices to the book gives details of WW1 service and casualties. In 1914 43 reservists were recalled to the colours and the Chief Constable gave his consent for 318 others to volunteer. Jack has researched the 63 casualties of the War and their details appear in an appendix. I have a copy of the history if anyone wants a casualty looked up. The Force's War Memorials have always been outside in front of the Headquarters and are accessible from the street, but they give initial and surname only.

I have also details of Wakefield City policemen who served in WW1, only one of whom, William Hall, a Guardsman in the 1st Batt. Scotts Guards, was recalled on 5th. August 1914 and killed on 14th. September 1914, his memorial is now on display in the Ripon Police Museum, along with Wakefield Police's only WW2 casualty, Raymond Fowler.

Colin Jackson

Ref post #23 about police officers being allowed to join up, when I was researching the Kidderminster war memorial, it unearthed 3 Kidderminster Borough PCs who were KIA which led me to read up on the local watch committee minutes. In 1915 the minutes recorded the committees concern about the high proportion of the borough force who had either been recalled to the colours or left the police to enlist. The Police service was not a reserved occupation. Military service followed by police service continues to this day, one of our local PCs died a couple of years ago and the pallbearers at his funeral made up of ex-military men like him displayed an inpressive array of campaign medals ranging from the first Gulf war, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, the GSM and not forgetting the Cyprus water sking medal.

Kevin

The 16th (service) City of Cardiff Battalion The Welch Regiment, contained a lot of the old bill, and there where a lot of pictures taken of this Batt, but am not aware of any book that deals solely with the 16th, 38th Div by the way.

Interestingly, given that the Cardiff City Battalion was initially raised by the Lord Mayor, most of the policemen who joined the battalion when it was being formed in late 1914 came from the Glamorgan Constabulary rather the Cardiff City Police. Lt.-Col. Fred Smith, who was C.O. for most of the war; Major James Angus (later C.O. of 11th SWB); and Welsh rugby international CSM Dick Thomas were three of the former Glamorgan policemen who served in the 16th Welsh.

Gwyn

The 16th City of Cardiff Batt are often mistaken as a Cardiff pals Batt, but I have done a lot of research and still am doing so on this, I think I have exhausted regimental history and the Welch regiment museum, and when able will be giving the South Wales Echo a visit, as far as I can see the only battalion of the Welsh that was and is reconised as a pals was the 11th (service) Batt, "The Commercials", I recentley donated a letter dated the 17/03/17, thanking the ex CO L/Colonal Parkinson on his help in raising funds in the gift aid for the battalion, that was at that time in the middle east, the heading on the letter was " The Commercials 11th (Service) Battalion, The Welsh Regiment, The Cardiff Pals.

I have also been trying to find out out about the Cardiff City Coat of Arms that the 16th wore on there collar,(which I have a pair) as I came across a Cap Badge in eeep's,(wrongly sold as The Cardiff Pals) as I thought only those worn on the collar had been allowed. I contacted the museum and they confirmed this was so, but as with any thing to do with WW1 that badge kept niggling away, so I got my bought the "The History of the Welch Regiment 1914-1918" by Major-General Sir Thomas O. Mardon, and with regards to the 16th and this badge he states ", " The suggestion was eagerly taken up and was approved by the military authorities, and on the 19th November at a meeting in the Lord Mayor's parlour it was decided to take steps to raise a "City" Battalion, the men of which should wear on their collars and caps the Arms of the City of Cardiff " the General was there after all. The other historys I have are of the 41st of Foot and deal up to 1908, or are historys that do not go into 1914-18 in any detail. Damn I dinna buy the badge :(

I am new to this forum stuff, and I suppose this should be a new thread, as I have not come across any thing on here to do with this fine regiment.

Hi

With reference to Post #12, I am reliably informed that the North Riding Police war memorials are to be reinstated inside the North Yorkshire headquarters building and my contact is at present waiting to hear that this has been done.

For anyone interested in the West Riding Police Force, Jack Alderson, a former superintendent in the Force published a history in 2001 and in appendices to the book gives details of WW1 service and casualties. In 1914 43 reservists were recalled to the colours and the Chief Constable gave his consent for 318 others to volunteer. Jack has researched the 63 casualties of the War and their details appear in an appendix. I have a copy of the history if anyone wants a casualty looked up. The Force's War Memorials have always been outside in front of the Headquarters and are accessible from the street, but they give initial and surname only.

I have also details of Wakefield City policemen who served in WW1, only one of whom, William Hall, a Guardsman in the 1st Batt. Scotts Guards, was recalled on 5th. August 1914 and killed on 14th. September 1914, his memorial is now on display in the Ripon Police Museum, along with Wakefield Police's only WW2 casualty, Raymond Fowler.

Colin Jackson

Hi Colin., RE: North Riding memorial. Vistited last week and they were still outside, covered in leaves. Its is good news if they are to be restored and repolished and refinished. Perhaps they will let serving and retired officers (at least one has an uncle on those memorials) know when it is done and, perhaps re-dedicated. Yours aye , jim K

Jim

My informant is a retired North Yorkshire man who has an interest in this matter and I am sure that as soon as anything is done about the memorials he will know and having asked him about them he will let me know and I will post here.

Colin

The north east forces had 183 men serving in the MFP and MMP, and I have the history of these men. I have also traced many men from other forces who served in the MFP and MMP from going through the Police Review & Parade Gossip 1914 - 1920. If any member has any information on men who served in other forces throughout the country KIA or otherwise, I would appreciate the information.

John

John,

For your research purposes only,check out the Fife Constabulary Web-site-Pictorial History.

If you trawl through the decades of the site,you will find photos of Officers,who lost their lives in WW1,and subsequently the Names of Officers,who lost their lives in WW1 and WW2.

George

If any member has any information on men who served in other forces throughout the country KIA or otherwise, I would appreciate the information.

John

Hi John

John Briggs from 136 High Street, Dalkeith Midlothian, was a LCpl (11869) in the Military Foot Police (Special) pre war he was a Constable in Linlithgowshire Police, (West Lothian). These locations are 25 miles apart so must have moved back to his dad's to enlist.

John (that's a lot of Johns)

The north east forces had 183 men serving in the MFP and MMP, and I have the history of these men. I have also traced many men from other forces who served in the MFP and MMP from going through the Police Review & Parade Gossip 1914 - 1920. If any member has any information on men who served in other forces throughout the country KIA or otherwise, I would appreciate the information.

John

John

I'm slightly confused.

Are you asking for info on the 183 men from north east forces or on men from any force who served or on any men from any force who served in the MFP/MMP?

Hywyn

John Duncan,or the multitudes of Johns :D

Academic question,as a serving Bobby,would you wish to serve your Country,in a time of War,in your chosen profession,or would you have been forced into it? :D

George

Now at my age what I'm doing, 1980's in my prime it was the other way round George. tempis fugit. :D

"If any member has any information on men who served in other forces throughout the country KIA or otherwise, I would appreciate the information."

Horace Calton: Norfolk born, he joined the City of London Police in 1901 (A Division) and retired in June 1925. He joined the Corps of Military Foot Police on 28 January 1916 at St Paul's Churchyard (just behind St Paul's Cathedral) and was posted to Aldershot on 13 April 1916 - appointed L/Cpl. On 19 August 1916, he embarked SS Beltana at Devonport for Africa and disembarked Kilindini on 3 October 1916. (He seems to have suffered quite badly with Malaria while here.) Struck off strength of East Africa forces on 1 March 1919 and embarked (DaresSalaam) the same day per H.T. Umtata for England via Durban. Awarded Victory and British War medals. He survived the war but only until 1929 when he was 52.

Hope this is of interest. I'mj ust sorry I haven't got a photo of him.

Mabel