Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Police officers who fought in the Great War

J Banning

Hi Tim,

Dundee casualties are not in my database, unless there's a connection to Arbroath of course.

Derek.

• 3 months later...

I have photos of this soldier with his medals. He was a police officer in Ayrshire pre WW1

DCM,1914/15 Trio and Memorial Plaque awarded to 11552 Sergeant William John Ross ,1st Battalion Scots Guards

Will attempt to load pictures

Thanks to Gerard Mcewan his website has a fine write up on PC Ross .late Scots Guards and other constables who served in the Great War

http://www.scottishpolicemedals.co.uk/scottish-police-officers-who-volunteered-to-serve-in-ww1/pc-william-john-ross-ayrshire-constabulary/

Hi,

Does anybody have an information about Police officers from Kent who served or died during the Great War. I have e-mailed and telephoned the Kent Police Museum on numerous occasions, as an obvious first step, but all to no avail. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I am collating information on police officers from Hampshire an it's constituent forces who died as a result of war operations during the two world wars. If any one has any information I would be grateful. Thanks Del.

• 1 month later...

Is there any further news about the war memorials that were laid out in the grounds of North Riding Police Headquarters? I think that if nothing has been done we may need to draw peoples' attention to them before they are beyond saving.

Hello, High Wood. visited the site today. The memorials are still in the same position, laying flat on the ground. I did take some pictures, but, quite frankly, they are not worth attaching. The surface has gone from the memorials to WW1 and WW2 Officers, with green staining and litchen growing on them. The names are barely legible now. It won't be long before they can be removed as too decrepit to serve a purpose / health & safety. The memorial to those who lost their lives since 1977 is still legible but laying flat and open to the elements but someone has placed a Christmas/holly wreath on it. It seems the present Chief Constable did place a wreath on the Great War memorial - perhaps in August? Yours aye, Jim K

Jim,

thank you for updating your original post. It is so sad that these memorials have been allowed to decay and so disrespectful to the memory of those North Riding police officers who gave their lives in two World Wars. The commissioner who ordered the removal of the memorials should hang his head in shame.

Simon.

• 2 weeks later...

Trenchwalker

I will forward an e-mail with the history of a number of officers I have researched from the North Eastern Railway Police.

John

Cheers hett just tried to send you a private message

Been injured on duty and now based in a office it the only thing keeping me sane

Email

Somme44@hotmail.com

• 7 months later...

I have been asked to assist the Chief Constable of the Tunbridge Wells Borough Police to assist him in preparing a list of men of that police force who served in WW 1 and particularly those who served and were killed in the war. So far I have found seven men who served by searching Ancestry Uk for all attestation and pension records that have survived using the key words of police and Tunbridge Wells.and one that had been killed but there must be many more for the normal staffing of this force during the war years was about 60 men and im told that 16 men of the force enlisted for service in 1918 alone. I would expect that probably about 16 a year signed up so there should be something in the order of at least 60 enlistments. Unfortunately the CWG site, with just a few exceptions, does not give the mans occupation at the time of enlistment. The only man killed I have found is Henry C Wells who is recorded on the Tunbridge Wells War Memorial.

Can anyone help with this project? The Chief wants to create a police memorial in the town-a noble idea but what we need are names.

Hi,

Forgive my ignorance but I've never heard of a current Tunbridge Wells Borough Police force?

Is Tunbridge Wells not covered by Kent Police? If so I would have thought Kent Police archivist might be your best starting point.

Good Luck

Steve Y

Hi,

Forgive my ignorance but I've never heard of a current Tunbridge Wells Borough Police force?

Is Tunbridge Wells not covered by Kent Police? If so I would have thought Kent Police archivist might be your best starting point.

Good Luck

Steve Y

I think that smaller named police forces were in operation at that time. My granddad joined and served in Bootle police but nowadays, I suspect it is all under Merseyside police.

I think that smaller named police forces were in operation at that time. My granddad joined and served in Bootle police but nowadays, I suspect it is all under Merseyside police.

Hi,

Sorry quote I intended to attach has posted separately above.

The OP says he has been asked to assist "the Chief Constable of Tunbridge Wells Borough Police" hence my comment.

I am not aware of any existing Borough Police forces in England.

Bootle Borough merged with Liverpool City Police 1st April 1967, on the creation of Liverpool & Bootle Constabulary, and then became part of the newly created Merseyside Police 1st April 1974.

Steve Y

Hi,

Sorry quote I intended to attach has posted separately above.

The OP says he has been asked to assist "the Chief Constable of Tunbridge Wells Borough Police" hence my comment.

I am not aware of any existing Borough Police forces in England.

Bootle Borough merged with Liverpool City Police 1st April 1967, on the creation of Liverpool & Bootle Constabulary, and then became part of the newly created Merseyside Police 1st April 1974.

Steve Y

Thank you for clarifying Steve, and for the extra information on Bootle police. He joined them in 1919. I still have his buttons, helmet badge and collar numbers; along with a few photos of him in police uniform! He retired in 1947 and returned to his native Morayshire but the police pensions were very good to my grandma after granddad was paralysed in a motor cycle accident and hospitalised until his death 4 years later. I was told that there were a number of ex Seaforth men in the Bootle police, hired because of the police strike in which many of the existing police were fired. They were told during WW2 they had to take on extra duties outside of their policing duties. That saw him being sent to Clerkenwell in London, to do a training course with St John's Ambulance. When he wasn't policing, he was trying to rescue people from the carnage of the Blitz. I have his training medal with a service number from Clerkenwell and his St. John cap badge too.

I have researched Norfolk Constabulary men who died in WW1.

Steve

Hi,

Does anybody have an information about Police officers from Kent who served or died during the Great War. I have e-mailed and telephoned the Kent Police Museum on numerous occasions, as an obvious first step, but all to no avail. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a letter from a Kent Police officer who wrote to the Chief Constable of Norwich City Police reporting the death of one of his officers in 1917.

Steve

• 4 years later...

A fair few MICs seem to have the following written on them

Commissioner Metropolitan Police forwards Roll of Police Constables entitled to Medals 12/1/1921

Has a "master" list of all these names ever materialised?

• 1 year later...

I recognise this is an old post but have just discovered it whilst researching Metropolitan Police Officers who died in WW1. Just in case someone in the future is researching him I have included some details below.

Frederick Charles Raines dob 9 .3.1882 born Throwley, near Faversham, Kent .

He applied to join the Metropolitan Police and was examined for appointment on the 13 th August 1907. At that time he was living at 11 Redress Road, Chalk Pit Hill , , Kent. Chatham. He was described as 5’9” tall, blue, eyes, fair complexion, light coloured hair. He was still serving in the Royal Navy, where he had completed 7 years service at the  time of his application . Stoker RN 296016.

He joined the Metropolitan Police (MP) on  4.11.1907 allocated warrant number 95115 and posted to J Division ( Hackney, East London) where he remained throughout his service. As a Royal Navy  reservist ( RFR/CH/B/4733) he was recalled to the Royal Navy on the 2 nd August 1914 .

He is recorded in MP Police Orders dated 5.8.1914 as Pc 282 J Division warrant number 95115 Raines. 

He was killed on the 15 th October 1914 onboard HMS Hawke a training ship, whilst off the  coast of Aberdeen, by U-9.

His death was reported in MP Police Order 24.10.1914.

He is remembered on Chatham Naval Memorial, Kent and The Metropolitan Police  Roll of Honour.

I have not fully researched him yet but will do in the next week or so.

On 24/06/2014 at 16:46, BottsGreys said:

May be of interest. I don't know on which force he served, but below is Police Constable Frederick Charles Raines, lost in the sinking of HMS Hawke. CWGC shows:

Stoker First Class, Service no. 296016, Died 15/10/1914, age 31, remembered on the Chatham Naval Memorial, panel 5. Son of William and Elizabeth Raines of Chartham, Canterbury; husband of Emma Elizabeth Raines of 47 Park Road, Faversham.

Chris

post-1571-0-90799100-1403624763_thumb.jp

Edited by Toontraveller
Typo

In relation to the post regarding Police Officers who served in the Scots Guards I know of 6 Metropolitan Police Officers who were killed during WW1 whilst serving in the Scots Guards 

I am sure there are more who survived but will have to look up my research today or tomorrow and post the details when I have a moment. There were about 4,500 who served in WW1  from the Metropolitan Police.

Edited by Toontraveller
Typo

17 minutes ago, Toontraveller said:

He was still serving in the Royal Navy, where he had completed 7 years service at the  time of his application . Stoker RN 296016.

He was discharged by purchase on 27 September 1907 and joined the Royal Fleet Reserve the following day.