Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lambis Prevented Being OnSite

Peter and Ellen

Very pleasing to see the tribute to Lambis in the CWGC newsletter and the acknowledgement of him in his homeland with an award.

Is he still in France?

And further to that :)

From the website:

http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/awar...r_australia.cfm

Name: ENGLEZOS, Lambis

Award: Member of the Order of Australia

Post-nominal: AM

Date granted: 08 June 2009

State: Vic

Suburb: Albert Park

Postcode: 3206

Citation:

For service to the community through research and advocacy roles relating to Australian soldiers of the Great War buried in Fromelles, France.

Congratulations Lambis an honour well deserved!

Bright Blessings

Sandra

G'day Sandra,

you beat me to it! Just got the new from Russ Curley this morning.

Excellent news indeed.

Pop

(Sean McManus)

Yes it is Pop ... and it is a pleasure and an honour to have helped the man thus far.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

A fitting honour for a gentle giant of a man, patient, persistent, dignified, his thoughts and energy for those lost men of the Great War.

We thank you Lambis

Shirley

Glad to hear that Lambis will be honoured for his work, well deserved in need.

Annette

Tremendous news about the award of the Medal of the Order of Australia to Lambis, most fitting recognition by our nation for his efforts, committment and persistence.

But,given the award IS is to be promulgated on 8 June 2009 it is dissapointing that some have jumped the gun! From the ItsanHonour website:

The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2009

Each June on The Queen’s Birthday public holiday, a list of honours recipients is available through the Australian Honours Database on this website.

On Monday 8 June 2008, you will be able to search for the latest honours recipients through the Search Australian Honours page.

The official gazetted version of The Queen’s Birthday honours list will be available on the Attorney-General’s website.

A comprehensive list of The Queen’s Birthday honours recipients, including media notes, will be available at the Governor-General’s website

I note that this information is not yet published on either the Governor General's nor the Attorney General's websites.

Now I would have thought gossiping before the formal announcement from the G-G's website and in the papers/press would be below GWF Pals, but apparently not. Sure Lambis has known for a few weeks as he would have been notified a few weeks ago of the intent to make the award subject to him confirming, in return correspondence, that he would accept the honour. Sure he may then have told one or two of his closest friends, but should they or others that have heard the gossip preempt the formal promulgation of the honour on 8 June? Me thinks not. Sure I know the media already knows and have had journalists do interviews with Lambis, but does that justify Pals preempting the official pronouncement in a few hours? Again me thinks not. Sure I know the information is published right now about Lambis on the ItsAnHonour website, but that doesn't make preempting the official announcment right; I don't expect someone to be sitting there at midnight waiting for a call from the G-G's saying that each of the hundreds of individuals award details can be enabled.

Just my opinion,

Cheers,

Hendo

Just for clarification for a non-Aussie, am I right in presuming that the Anzac of the Year award mentioned earlier is different to the Order of Australia award formally promulgated today?

Whatever the answer, Lambis fully deserves "both" or "it"!

Fantastic. Will be interesting to see if any UK honours come out of it.

G'day Ian

You are correct in your assumption that the ANZAC of the year is a separate awards to the AM.

The first is issued by the Returned and Services League of Australia (the RSL) and the second by the Australian Government under the Queen's Birthday Honours and Awards system.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

Good to hear that Mr Englezos is receiving an honour from his country following, as it does, the fullsome recognition of his efforts by the CWGC webnews and the published Australian Defence GUARD report.

Looks to me like the exact opposite of him being "done down" as per earlier comments.

John

Hi John,

It is ordinary people in Australia who proposed Lambis for this award and it is then awarded if it is felt that he is worthy. The Honour is not awarded nor controlled by those who I left "unnamed" in my first post.

They are separate groups. My opening post still stands and judging by the number of PMs that I have received, others related to Fromelles have similar experiences and thoughts.

Yes, Lambis did get a well-deserved award, and Yes, he is still locked out of the site and any official activities relating to the site. The closest he got was to address the Oxford Archeology Team about the process of discovery of the site. He spends most of his days at the VC Corner Cemetery and provides information relating to the Battle to all who visit. He gives freely to all, expecting nothing in return, that is the man he is.

Regards, Peter

Thanks for the update Peter ... tell him he has a big hug from me and two extra feeds of sardines when he gets to Fremantle!!!

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hi John,

It is ordinary people in Australia who proposed Lambis for this award and it is then awarded if it is felt that he is worthy. The Honour is not awarded nor controlled by those who I left "unnamed" in my first post.

They are separate groups. My opening post still stands and judging by the number of PMs that I have received, others related to Fromelles have similar experiences and thoughts.

Yes, Lambis did get a well-deserved award, and Yes, he is still locked out of the site and any official activities relating to the site. The closest he got was to address the Oxford Archeology Team about the process of discovery of the site. He spends most of his days at the VC Corner Cemetery and provides information relating to the Battle to all who visit. He gives freely to all, expecting nothing in return, that is the man he is.

Regards, Peter

Peter,

Nothing I have read about the disinterment or reinterment process of the Fallen of Fromelles, or the honouring of Mr Lambis Englezos AM for his selfless research in finding these fallen justifies your insinuations against "unnamed" individuals or organisations. Indeed I fully agree with excluding unnecessary individuals from the Fromelles site during this phase. I don't care how careful they may be or their prior contribution, if they don't have the necessary forensic or archaeological skills, or do not have the critical knowledge required to identify the fallen, or are not there as representatives of the CWGC, the Australian or British Government, the Gendarme or, at appropriate times the clergy, they simply shouldn't be on site. Indeed I would regard their presence not as respectful, but as morbid, particularly if the individuals turn up on site "out of the blue" without prior agreement as your posts imply.

I would say to you that your unjustified, unwarranted and unsubstantiated attacks on "unnamed" individuals or organisations who may be involved in the official recovery is almost libelous. Indeed your comments about the circumstances of the nomination of Mr Lambis Englezos to the office of Member of the Order of Australia, not only belittles all involved, whether that be the honours and award nominator/s and reviewer/s or approvers, the "Friends of Fomelles" but all recipients of Order's of Australia, including Mr Englezos AM and I would have thought been below any GWF Pal, but clearly not. Indeed your insinuation about the Australian Honours and Awards system implies a degree of corruption and lack of integrity by those involved in nominating, reviewing and conferring an honour or award, as a former Army Warrant Officer who has put forward names of individuals for recognition and has had some very good friends recognised, whether as a result of my efforts I do not know, I take great offence to your claim.

Could I ask therefore that you and others involved in this nasty Chinese whispering and smear campaign pull your heads in, or put up and shut up. Your campaign demeans yourself, the Great War Forum, my respect for Mr Englezos AM and the Friends of Fromelles achievement and most importantly dishonours the Fallen of Fromelles, it is just unseemly and tremendously dissapointing.

Regards,

Chris Henderson

Peter

Thank you for your observations.

I see that I am still alone in questioning the spin you and others put on this and your motives in so doing, in spite of ALL published evidence being contrary to the scenario you tried to portray in your opening post and subsequent.

I'll continue to plough a lonely furrow on the assumption that things will come out in the wash in due course.

John

(Edit: I'd gone away from computer for a while and had not seen Chris' post before pressig "send". Clearly I am not the only one to wonder about motives)

I have occasionally visited this thread but only to see if the unfortunate cryptic comments were ever explained. Can I echo green acorn's request? And apologise to John for not commenting earlier.

A well deserved award.

As for the pettiness - well - er - Let the experts do their job properly. In that way more of the men may be identified. Cross contamination is always a problem and the least amount of people involved, the better.

If Lambis feels slighted, then perhaps we could hear it from him first hand.

sm

Hi Chris,

Certainly not my intention to put any bad-light what-so-ever in regard to recipients of the Awards. They are all to be respected without reservation and are Australians to be admired. I totally believe in the process of nomination and the granting of those rewards. Should any Award recipient that are members of this Forum feel that I have cast a shadow on the whole process, then it is not intended and I regret should they take offence as it was certainly not my intention.

Thank you for your other comments.

Regards, Peter

I was today at noon with Lambis at the Town Hall of Fleurbaix for a litlle "champagne", with M. Michel Dupont Major of the village and M. Hubert Huchette, Major of Fromelles.

Very nice moment of friendship and... "all is good"... :)

cheers

Michel

I was today at noon with Lambis at the Town Hall of Fleurbaix for a litlle "champagne", with M. Michel Dupont Major of the village and M. Hubert Huchette, Major of Fromelles.

Very nice moment of friendship and... "all is good"... :)

cheers

Michel

Did you save us any Champagne Michel?

Steve

Hello Steve, My Dear Friend

the bottle is empty but... I have always an other for sharing with you at home... I wait for you ! :)

Cheers

Michel

we had a lunch today Lambis and me at "les quatre chemins", very good meal.

And after that we had a visit together to VC Corner and "le chateau des chasseurs"...

For all from Lambis : "all is good" ! :)

Michel