Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Obscure WW1 questions thread

Skipman

I was recently told that Argentinian Corn Beef was tinned originally to supply both British and German army demands during the Great War. Is this true? Was Fray Bentos an Argentinian and did he supply both?

Fray Bentos is a town in Uruguay. In 1905 the local meat processing plant was acquired by the German company LEMCO (the Liebig Extract of Meat Company) to manufacture Liebig's patent meat extract and canned meat products, which were supplied to the German Army during the Great War. In 1924 the plant was sold to British interests and went on to supply corned beef and other preserved meat products to the Allies during WW2.

The above potted history was extracted from various internet sources ... :D

Thanks both for the 'potted' history and the photo!

How does an artilleryman set a shrapnel fuze ? Is it done on time i.e. experience in time versus distance, cause

we wouldnt want a shrapnel shell exploding at ground level - or would we ?

David

Question 6

Simple answer? I've only ever known the word fuse to be spelt fuse. Why is it spelt fuze on the forum?

Regards

CGM

How does an artilleryman set a shrapnel fuze ? Is it done on time i.e. experience in time versus distance,

The fuse consists of a primer and powder train above a ring containing another train with a series of holes that can be made to match a single hole in another ring. In essence the middle ring is rotated so that the hole to the lowest level corresponds to the time of flight calculated for best effect at the target. On firing the first train is set off by a percussion cap and the "set back" of a striker, burns until it passes to the middle ring (giving a safe minimum distance for the shell) and this in turn burns until it encounters the hole to the main power train. It then passes to the burster charge at the base of the shell to "push" the shrapnel balls out of the carrier.

Range tables for the various guns and shells were held on the guns themselves.

cause

we wouldnt want a shrapnel shell exploding at ground level - or would we ?

Most fuses by the Great War were "Time and Percussion" so that, if the calculation and/or fuse setting was incorrect then the round would go off on impact.

Shrapnel was used for wire cutting though it was both difficult to get it on target in the optimum condition and the balls were not, when it came down to it, all that effective. They were designed for killing troops in the open. The T&P fuses were not sensitive enough to initiate the shell if it made contact (at the moment of contact ie instantaneous or SQ (super quick) as it is known in the trade now) and they too often buried them selves before going off. The same could be said of the HE round until the 106 (later model) fuse become available.

QUOTE (CGM @ May 9 2009, 08:31 AM)

I suddenly wondered - why weren't the MICs and rolls burnt? Does every one survive to this day?

With the MICs apparently not: A recent post on another thread by somebody involved with them at the WFA - which I can't unfortunately trace - indicated that some were damaged in storage by mice/rats prior to the digitization by Ancestry; I don't think any indication of the quantities destroyed was given, but the loss of data must be pretty insignificant - unless, of course the MIC being sought happen to be amongst those chewed :( - when compared with the loss of service records in the bombing/fire at Arnside.

NigelS

Thank you NigelS!

There's never going to be a foolproof method of storage is there. Neither paper nor electronic.

Regards

cgm

Question 6

Simple answer? I've only ever known the word fuse to be spelt fuse. Why is it spelt fuze on the forum?

Regards

CGM

The British military have always spelt it "fuze" in their nomenclature and manuals.

Regards

TonyE

Didnt notice that - If tony E says it is fuze then it is fuze :D:D

Thanks Starlight for that explanation - I think I understand it

David

Question 7

Who could I contact to help me find an elusive HLI man on my local Memorial?

I have a couple of possibles, but am yet to be convinced either is the right man.

Who is the foremost HLI expert, or where can I look?

Cheers mike

This is positively the last question I will ask about guns (Must be driving TonyE nuts)

What was the largest gun to fire shrapnel during the war. I thought 6 inch but probably wrong (usually am)

david

This is positively the last question I will ask about guns (Must be driving TonyE nuts)

What was the largest gun to fire shrapnel during the war. I thought 6 inch but probably wrong (usually am)

david

Not at all! keep asking away.

How many were fired (if any) I do not know, but the largest shrapnel shell was for the 15" B.L. That shell was 56.92 inches long, weighed 1,950 lbs filled and contained 13,770 shrapnel balls weighing 27 to the lb.

Regards

TonyE

I could nearly say "I dont believe it" but always thought that the larger calibres would have been reserved for HE and

trench/position/gun busting. My grandfather never told me that - in fact he never told me anything. Lips buttoned tightly

when it came to what went on in the front line. Questions will keep on coming from time to time and I hope they are

pertinent.

david

Where was the Bn diary written up? In a dug-out in front line, or further back during rest periods.

What was the actual process?

Cheers Mike

Mike,

Looking at the Light Horse diaries I'd say they were done in the front line, but on reflection probably done on the beach

in their dugouts. Then, other diaries like the Pioneers were typed up so must have been done in the comfort ? of their HQ's

david

I was told by RWF Archives that the Diaries had to be filled on that particular day. The Adjutant had to comply. Some entries are very short and brief, others can be long and lucid. Depended on the Adjutant's literary style.

Thanks Geraint, and David.

The October 1914 Diary 1st Black Watch is missing. I presume just lost in the chaotic 1st ypres. Or maybe just writing it, was the last thing on their mind.

Cheers Mike

Reply to Question 2

Is it possible that those who were gassed during the war could have developed TB-type symptoms that led to death post-war? My great-uncle (#765 R Nfld R ) passed away in 1923 with, what I think, were complications from gassing. The medical resources in the 20's certainly weren't what they are today when it comes to making a diagnosis. Anyone with a medical background care to comment?

shawn

Letters and cards written by the troops at the trenches all seem to be done with a pencil. They have a distinctive colour - lead pencil with a distinctive purplish tinge to the writing.To be honest, I haven't seen a period pencil letter that doesn't have that distinctive tinge. Were the men given WD issue pencils? What caused that tinge, and are similar pencils made today?

(Talk about an obscure question!)