Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Obscure WW1 questions thread

Skipman

Who had the best rations? French, British, Australian or American. For instance could a British Brigade be supplied with rations from the French and vice versa? Are did everyone just get 'bully beef'

After seeing this in a War Diary I always wondered............KIA, DOW.........?

died.jpg

Steve.

Who had the best rations? French, British, Australian or American. For instance could a British Brigade be supplied with rations from the French and vice versa? Are did everyone just get 'bully beef'

When British troops moved in to the line in front of Vermelles in 1915, they were short of food and traded tobacco for stew with French soldiers next door. That from the memoirs of a French soldier. The poilus got a wine ration and also a brandy ration although the brandy was fairly rough. They got fresh bread and a hot meal when possible. There are references to an American unit whose commisariat was so chaotic that they were in danger of starving. I believe the French fed them until their stores got sorted out. Most soldiers got enough to eat when conditions allowed. British did not live on bully beef all the time, there was stew in tins as well. The great thing about bully was it did not need cooked.

TonyE

Is Rubin to which you refer related to Schmdit-Rubin (the straight pull rifle used by the Swiss?)

And while we are on the obscure....

which rifle type was used by the largest number of men in WWI?

Obvious candidates

SMLE No1 MKIII, Mauser GEW 98, Moisin-Nagant 1891.....?

Chris

After seeing this in a War Diary I always wondered............KIA, DOW.........?

died.jpg

Steve.

I have wondered about this distinction too. It appears to me that if the casualty lived long enough to recieve some formal treatment they are recorded as DOW if death ocurred prior to entering the medical system (ie before an evac. to an aid post etc) they were KIA - this is from anecdotal and non systematic observation only.

As your diary reference says, "Died" rather than "Killed" I wonder if this instance may be an example of "died" (natural causes) - heart attack etc. Died is a category in SDGW although they are almost all (in my limited experience) deaths of men at home in the UK whilst serving.

Chris

From what I've heard of the Australian rations they werent crash hot either. Hard tack and stew - and I often

wondered where the dead horses went. Just as an aside, when I was in Korea were used to swap our bully

with the tintanks for their loverly icecream. They must of been mad

david

Notice how our founts of knowledge come good as usual, thanks Nigel and Chris

david

Hello all,

I suddenly wondered - why weren't the MICs and rolls burnt? Does every one survive to this day?

Regards

CGM

Good question CGM.......how did the Luftwaffe miss the medal rolls! scratch.gif

Nigel,

I am now a Vickers expert. Try me - it fired .303 ammo. All the same thanks mate

David

I now have a naval question (no not the other one) What is a drifter ? Some sort of fishing vessel or what ?

David

Just put "died" on the SDGW and it lists 85479 in total ,of which 33706 were in F and F. Ralph.

Just put "died" on the SDGW and it lists 85479 in total ,of which 33706 were in F and F. Ralph.

so can I still say "mostly" if not almost all :huh:

so then died would get my vote for this one

Thanks Ralph.

I now have a naval question (no not the other one) What is a drifter ? Some sort of fishing vessel or what ?

David

I believe so - as in "Drift nets"

Chris

Drifters, as suggested, use nets which are suspended in the water like a curtain, as opposed to a trawler which drags a net bag along the bottom.

Thanks for the Tyne Cot answer Tom.

I assume drifters will work in pairs then to suspend their nets?

Cheers,

Nigel

Tom,

gotcha, but what use would be a drifter in the navy, or was it used as a sort of auxiliary

David

In the US navy a drifter was a bum :lol:

As Tom said, a drifter was a 20-50ft fishing boat that dropped it's net out in a circular curtain and stopped; so that the fish within swam into the net and were hauled in. They fished the top five foot of the ocean. A trawler dropped it's net in an ark and carried on steaming, hauling the net against the fish shoals to wind them in. They generally operated at a greater depth. The difference between both boats were superficially minimal. Only the net gantrys were visibly different; the trawlers having those big rectangular blades on either side to sink the net to the required depth. A drifter 'drifted' with it's engines shut; allowing time and tide to take them wherever. A trawler usually worked in groups. My great grandad used to work as a drifter off the North Wales coast catching herring. (So I did a bit of research!!)

Thanks guys, nowadays I suppose there's no use for either - no fish

David

Does anyone know of a website where I might find metereorological charts for a given date in WW1, UK France and Belgium.

Here is a good one for calendars. Just type in Calendar 1914, 1915, or whatever year required.

http://www.hf.rim.or.jp/~kaji/cal/cal.cgi?1914

Cheers Mike

I have been looking for this for a year or so too!

I posted a thread about it some time back, (I don't need charts - just basic daily/weekly even weather conditions) in the orifinal thread I cited the fact that in "Somme day by day" daily weather conditions are provided so presumbaly the records exist somewhere.... I would be VERY grateful if someone can answer this.

Chris

This one isn't obscure ... in fact it's probably painfully obvious to everyone but me: Why didn't officers have service numbers?

I don't know Matt, but by WWII they were numbered. I'd be interested to find out why officers from our period weren't numbered as well. I'd also like to find out when the numbering system came into effect.

Cheers,

Nigel

What happened to the millions of fired shell cases. Were they collected and refilled or recycled and then refilled or what ?

David

Guest KevinEndon

Why are there 12 soldiers in the R.A.M.C with the same number, that being 223, the R.A.S.C. have a similar amount. I would have thought only 1 person would be number 223, even the Royal Warwickshire Regt has 2 men numbered 223.

Confused.com

Kevin