Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cambrai, 1917: Myth of the First Great Tank Battle

PMHart

Bryn is visiting my local WFA Branch shortly to give a talk: presumably copies of his book will be available to purchase?

Cambrai isn't really my field of interest (aside from Wain, V.C., who went to my old school) - Julian Byng on the other hand has always interested me. Is there much on his supposed "blaming" of the men after the battle? I ask because Byng's biographer, Lt Col Jeffery Williams stated quite clearly that the Official History had been unfair to him and any of his comments taken out of context and referred to the standard of training the men had received.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon

I think it's fair to say I have given some consideration to this and the Cambrai Enquiry. I have to say that I have been critical of Byng in the book but I might add this is because I don't regard him in 1917 as the general he became in 1918. Although that's not a fact I've stated in the book. My criticisms are chiefly in regard to his conduct of operations but I have noted the popular perception of him as a man of integrity and humanity and an intelligent, determined and resourceful commander. My criticisms are balanced by praise for him on the occasions he demonstrated these qualities.

I hope this helps.

Bryn

Bryn is visiting my local WFA Branch shortly to give a talk: presumably copies of his book will be available to purchase?

Definitely !!!!!

Bryn

Simon

I think it's fair to say I have given some consideration to this and the Cambrai Enquiry. I have to say that I have been critical of Byng in the book but I might add this is because I don't regard him in 1917 as the general he became in 1918. Although that's not a fact I've stated in the book. My criticisms are chiefly in regard to his conduct of operations but I have noted the popular perception of him as a man of integrity and humanity and an intelligent, determined and resourceful commander. My criticisms are balanced by praise for him on the occasions he demonstrated these qualities.

I hope this helps.

Bryn

Bryn, thank you for the response.

I am aware that criticism has been levelled at Byng over the years, but of course if he merits it then he deserves it. I will give your book a lookover the next time I'm in "Waterstone's" (not for a while, alas).

Regards,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really like to read this Bryn, but noticed that Waterstone's are knocking them out at £25 - which is £5 more than that Hart chappie's last effort. I'm sure the comparative depth of research justifies the extra cost of yours over his but it puts it beyond my price range; so I was wondering if you had any spare review copies as freebies to help out a poor student of the Great War - I'm working on the principle that you don't get if you don't ask (and it probably wouldn't do any harm for you to establish some chums up here in Black Watchshire before November, if you follow...........)

Regards,

George

I think it's fair to say I have given some consideration to this and the Cambrai Enquiry. I have to say that I have been critical of Byng in the book but I might add this is because I don't regard him in 1917 as the general he became in 1918.

Teflon Byng would be more apt than Bungo.

Book ordered and on its way to my letter box. Looking forward to the German counter attack chapter(s)

Regards

Arm

I'd really like to read this Bryn, but noticed that Waterstone's are knocking them out at £25 - which is £5 more than that Hart chappie's last effort. I'm sure the comparative depth of research justifies the extra cost of yours over his but it puts it beyond my price range; so I was wondering if you had any spare review copies as freebies to help out a poor student of the Great War - I'm working on the principle that you don't get if you don't ask (and it probably wouldn't do any harm for you to establish some chums up here in Black Watchshire before November, if you follow...........)

Regards,

George

George

I will not be intimidated! My book justifies its higher price tag on the quality of the research and writing - as opposed to Hart's (no offence, Pete. As you know I am your biggest fan. I have all your books).

However, since 4 customer reviews on Amazon have suddenly mysteriously disappeared (is this an example of the Black Watch's power?), I am prepared to consider your kind offer...

I will, of course, be bringing books with me when I visit WFA branches to talk. To Tayside WFA, for instance.

Bryn

I have a sick wife, two starving children and several small animals to support.

If anyone has a buckshee copy of their book that would serve to lighten my twilight years, it could be sent, Poste Restante, to the gentlemen's toilets at Waterloo Station.

I thank you.

However, since 4 customer reviews on Amazon have suddenly mysteriously disappeared (is this an example of the Black Watch's power?), I am prepared to consider your kind offer...

Bryn

Bryn,

I don't wish to unduly disturb you, old chum, but if four of your customers were to suddenly mysteriously disapear that would be more of an indication of the power of the Black Watch than the loss of their reviews!

Pete

PS You only have all my books as you made me give them to you!!!! I think George's request has much merit...

Bryn,

I don't wish to unduly disturb you, old chum, but if four of your customers were to suddenly mysteriously disapear that would be more of an indication of the power of the Black Watch than the loss of their reviews!

Pete

PS You only have all my books as you made me give them to you!!!! I think George's request has much merit...

Oh, yes! George, George, George! You're 'best mates' with George now you've sold books on Tayside! It was different when you were stoking me up to tell the good people of Scotland about the numbers of Englishmen (and others) lurking in the ranks of the Highland Regiments!

Anyway, you told me George was a rich eccentric who had bought you 'tons' of beer...

Bryn

ps I only have all your books because I couldn't sell the signed ones on eBay.

pps Are we 'dangerously close to Skindles'? (A phrase I don't understand. Sounds rude and, as you know, I don't swear. Ever)

Regards,

George

George

Do something about your inbox, will you? I'm trying to PM you.

Bryn

Bryn

You are going to have to be at your delboy best in November to beat Pete's WFA book selling antics.

It was a pleasure watching a professional " hawker " at work. I can easily see how he got the job on "Bid up " tv punting paint rollers which dont run.

Learn from the book selling maestro ie accept Green shield stamps, Cigarette tokens, exchange dollars at 1.10:£1 and take french francs.

If you want to send me an advance free cc of your book i'll easily promote it between now and november !

Major Boab ( ps seriously joking here - Petes books sold themselves. His talk was great and we are indebted to him and also to you for your help )

George

Do something about your inbox, will you? I'm trying to PM you.

Bryn

Been away to the archives for the last week, Bryn. Made space in my pm inbox now though - you'll be after a postal address I fancy? ;)

Best,

George

Been away to the archives for the last week, Bryn. Made space in my pm inbox now though - you'll be after a postal address I fancy? ;)

Best,

George

Well, not sure what to do, George. They've sold so well the publishers have nearly sold out of what they printed and aren't sure whether to print any more hardbacks. They may be about to become a rare and precious commodity. Spin, spin, spin ...

Bryn

They may be about to become a rare and precious commodity.

Now Bryn, don't exaggerate - a "rare and precious commodity" is something in the order of an unsigned copy of one of that Hart chap's efforts (something so rare, in fact, that the only one I've ever seen is my own unsigned copy of '1918' - and how that one got by him heaven only knows).

What to do? Get a grip Bryn - if the bookshop shelves are bereft of any remaining copies of Cambrai (which, of course, I couldn't have afforded anyway) then how am I going to be able to give it the once over before November if you don't do the decent thing and step into the breach and send up a review copy from your personal cache? Lines of communication are now open for you to pm for an address when it's all parcelled up and ready to go.

Best,

George

Now Bryn, don't exaggerate - a "rare and precious commodity" is something in the order of an unsigned copy of one of that Hart chap's efforts (something so rare, in fact, that the only one I've ever seen is my own unsigned copy of '1918' - and how that one got by him heaven only knows).

What to do? Get a grip Bryn - if the bookshop shelves are bereft of any remaining copies of Cambrai (which, of course, I couldn't have afforded anyway) then how am I going to be able to give it the once over before November if you don't do the decent thing and step into the breach and send up a review copy from your personal cache? Lines of communication are now open for you to pm for an address when it's all parcelled up and ready to go.

Best,

George

George

Surely that's 'once over and review'?

The issue is the fast-diminishing status of what you term my 'personal cache'. But I'll rise to the challenge somehow. Looks like my silver-haired maother's copy will have to be prised from her poor old arthritic fingers. Sniff.

Bryn

Bryn

That's Bryn all over - sorry for himself and so good they named him twice.

Pete

Oi, you - just watch it! Bryn is my new BF so stop taking the michael.

PM received and responded to Bryn. I do hope it wasn't your mother's former copy of the book you were sobbing over and dropping tears on though - I wouldn't want to be palmed off with a shop-soiled copy of this future collector's item!

Best,

George

That's Bryn all over - sorry for himself and so good they named him twice.

Pete

Pete

You write twice as much as me normally ... but I write things that are twice as wonderful.

Your oldest friend and biggest fan

• 1 month later...

I have just finished this book. Yes I know its taken me a long time but I have been occupied with some research and reading else where and it has taken a lot longer than I would have expected! That is not a reflection on the book by the way, just more my lifestyle!

I can not offer as scholarly a review as Peter Hart has done at the opening of this thread, however I can whole heartedly recommend this book on various levels. For me I have a feeling of a battle I thought I knew but did not completely. A battle that was all about tanks, when quite logically it was not. I guess nor were any of the WW1 battles come to that.

The use of first hand accounts was very well done, with not just the tankies being used but the pilots as well as the PBI. More enjoyable was the use of other arms like MG company men and artillerymen. The use of both officers and other ranks blended to give on occasions a balanced view where you could see two different perspectives. There was even some examples of the German side as well.

The narrative was also taken at both levels of command. The high command perspective and the 'on the ground up to ya necks in blood and mud' side as well, which again was well woven.

Given my own interest in Lt-Gen. Snow I was pleased to see him get a more favourable reference than he normally warrants, though I would liked to have seen a more thorough analysis of the defence put up by VII Corps, but thats just me being picky.

I also thought that the author came across as very balanced, not really planting a foot in either camp for 'Donkey or 'Lion', this may have been intentional I am not sure, but apart from one or two comments in the book there were times when the writing was critical of the planning and execution of the battle and other times where it showed an understanding of the difficulties involved. At the same time by the end of the book you are left with no real doubt as to the authors feelings in regard to the conduct and subsequent perceptions of this battle and the way history has treated it.

An excellent book that I would recommend to many and advise to be a book for the shelf (or floor if there is no more room).

Regards

Arm

I totally agree with the previous post - an excellent study. One criticism which could be addressed in the paperback edition if there is one - the chapters need clearer signposting to which day of the battle we are on. I say this having made notes on the whole book for a battlefield tour I am running in two months time.

I totally agree with the previous post - an excellent study. One criticism which could be addressed in the paperback edition if there is one - the chapters need clearer signposting to which day of the battle we are on. I say this having made notes on the whole book for a battlefield tour I am running in two months time.

Alan

Thanks very much for the suggestion which I will pass on to the publishers. I have to send corrections (I have 3!) to the publishers today if possible. Last chance anyone!

Bryn

• 2 weeks later...

Alan

Sorry to report but I don't think this is going to happen. I made the suggestion but I think something about "offsetting" means any corrections need to take up the same (or similar) amount of space to what's already there. Paperback due now for mid-October.

I hope your trip goes well, but if I can be of any more assistance, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best,

Bryn

• 4 weeks later...

My tuppence worth -

This is a great mix of first hand accounts and recollections mixed with an authoritative text from both British and German sources. These coming from soldier to officer, infantry to airman, amounting to an enjoyable, informative easy read.

Bryn, when is your next book out ?

Mick

Mick

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Nothing on the stocks at the moment apart from getting my thesis published and a couple of academic articles. Looking for a good subject at the moment. The real problem is the publishers and their view that 'books on the First World War don't sell'.

Bryn