Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cambrai, 1917: Myth of the First Great Tank Battle

PMHart

just finished this -- paperback edition which I bought together with Peter Hart's '1918', to be read next so it should be interesting to put them head to head, so to speak.

also find this book difficult to put down: an enthralling account of a battle which I had tended to think of as almost a sideshow, but was clearly much more important with regard to the development of tactics and weaponry. as I happen to be suffering from a baddish bout of sciatica at the moment it was something welcome to turn to when woken up in the middle of the night with shooting pains in the old leg. It has also encouraged me to visit the ground before too long.

'fraid the maps are still the wrong way round, though :mellow:

congratulations Bryn, looking forward to your next opus

cheers Martin B

I too enjoyed the book and having finished it immediately started Jack Sheldons "German Army At Cambrai" to get the other side. Both excellant and my understanding of the battle is now far better than three months ago.

Well done both authors.

TT

• 2 months later...

I ventured into the Sinful Big City yesterday and bought a copy. It being lunchtime at work, I'm just about to start it. I've already looked at the Acknowledgements and seen all the usual suspects mentioned!

I ventured into the Sinful Big City

Norwich?

Nay, that Modern Babylon - Manchester. Where it's always raining, and crammed with people shopping for clothes.