Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers

wulsten

On 11/19/2008 at 3:31 AM, Guest barneydog said:

Pte Richard R Jones of the Prince of Wales Hotel was my Grandmother's son. My late father's half brother who was KIA 23rd August 1918. His name is listed on panel 6 of the Vis En Artois Memorial but I don't know if it is known where his remains lie. As far as I can find out he was a Pte. ser. No.21102. 14th(service)Batt. RWF. I was amazed to see the 2 references to him in this post and would dearly like to find out more about him and his service record. As a brand new member to this forum I would greatly appreciate any help or advice. Thank you.

Pte Richard R Jones Royal Welsh Fusiliers (21102) was my grandmother's brother, Ritchie, and  died almost exactly one hundred years ago on 23 August. I hadn't realised that my great grandmother had children from another father.  If you are still around, Barney dog, maybe we could communicate!  I realise your search was 10 years ago. 

• 6 months later...

The serjeant in the middle is almost certainly 20346 JOHN EVAN WILLIAMS of Llandudno. 14 RWF KIA 15 June 1917.

He was a serjeant when the battalion landed in France in December 1915.

He is on the right in the large image taken at Hayling Island.

johnevanwilliams.jpg

JOHNEVANWILLIAMSHAYLING.jpg

Edited by typandy
fingers

• 4 months later...

Hi All

not sure if anyone still following these amazing brave soldiers? A curve ball 

Oliver Arthur ling 14 th batt royal Welsh fusiliers. Died 4.9.1918 from Bridgend jenkins street any info be great. 

Thanks 

phil 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m interested in 20603 Pte. H. McHale. D.C.M. winner with the   14/ R.W.Fus.   K.I.A.  18.9.1918.  From Llanrwst.  if any member come across his name or picture when looking at the history of the 14th R. W. Fus.  I would be interested.   Thank you.    Lyn.

Lyn,

I can't see anything in the Welsh Newspapers online set, except the fact of his DCM award which was published on 28 July 1916 by the Cambria Daily Leader in South Wales.  His next of kin according to the embarkation roll in early December 1915 were simply listed as " c/o Mr. Castle, 60 New Kent Road, SE".   

Born Llanrwst, Pte (A/ L/Cpl) Harry McHale was the stepson of Mrs. E. McHale, of 4140, Adelaide Street, Birmingham, he enlisted at Llanrwst, Denbighshire in 14th RWF, and embarked for France 1/12/15.  As A/Sgt, for gallantry in trench raids in Laventie sector on the 4/5th Jun 1916 he was awarded the DCM 25/6/16.  Later in the battle of Epehy in the attack on Gouzeaucourt, he was killed in the action 18/9/18.  Commemorated Vis-en-Artois Memorial, France.

His was one of 24 DCMs to the 14th RWF, plus one bar.  

No picture I know of, and it's not on the Royal Welch Forum centenary list for his death date.  Always possible there was a newspaper picture from another newspaper not covered by the online series.  

Clive 

Edited by clive_hughes

1 hour ago, clive_hughes said:

Lyn,

I can't see anything in the Welsh Newspapers online set, except the fact of his DCM award which was published on 28 July 1916 by the Cambria Daily Leader in South Wales.  His next of kin according to the embarkation roll in early December 1915 were simply listed as " c/o Mr. Castle, 60 New Kent Road, SE".   

Born Llanrwst, Pte (A/ L/Cpl) Harry McHale was the stepson of Mrs. E. McHale, of 4140, Adelaide Street, Birmingham, he enlisted at Llanrwst, Denbighshire in 14th RWF, and embarked for France 1/12/15.  As A/Sgt, for gallantry in trench raids in Laventie sector on the 4/5th Jun 1916 he was awarded the DCM 25/6/16.  Later in the battle of Epehy in the attack on Gouzeaucourt, he was killed in the action 18/9/18.  Commemorated Vis-en-Artois Memorial, France.

DCM Citation :- "For conspicuous gallantry during a raid on the enemy's trenches. He and his officer were first into the trench, where they accounted for several of the enemy. He showed great determination later in covering the retreat, and finally assisted in bringing in two wounded men" (LG 27/7/16).

His was one of 24 DCMs to the 14th RWF, plus one bar.  

No picture I know of, and it's not on the Royal Welch Forum centenary list for his death date.  Always possible there was a newspaper picture from another newspaper not covered by the online series.  

Clive    

PS - sorry - I added the citation and tweaked the previous post, but it's saved both versions!

Edited by clive_hughes
Duplication

• 1 month later...
On 17/05/2019 at 07:20, Paul Davies said:

Hi Anne.

Wow what a surprise! I realized later that Ritchie was too old to be her son. I have a copy of the memorial card from Ritchie's funeral. Our Grandmother remarried in 1921 to John J Davies and had 2 sons. I would be happy to hear from you directly. eMail:  rickenreATyahooDOTcomDOTau

Kind regards, Paul Davies

Hello Paul.  I just logged in to this forum after a long break.  I'm not sure if there's a link here: 'my' Ritchie Jones was born 1891 and died 1918 so was 27 when he was killed.  But do you have Ritchie Jones' funeral card?  Maybe there is some other link.  Full details are Pte Richard Jones, born Llanberis,  21102 of the 14th Battalion, RWF.  My grandmother was Ellen Thomas (1881-1964) and was widowed in 1931 and never remarried.  Regards Anne

Again when I see pictures of soldiers to the 14th, Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. If someone comes across a picture of 20900 Pte./ Cpl. W. C. T. Lloyd. I would be interested.   Thank you.   Lyn.

• 2 weeks later...

Llanberis recruits to the 14th Battalion RWF.  A recently discovered relative has sent me a photograph of a group of four RWF 14th Battalion soldiers.  One of them has to be my great-uncle,  Pte Richard Jones 21102 (1891-1918), but I am uncertain which.  I recognise the probable location - the front porch of a boarding house on Clifton Road, Llandudno - where the 14th was billeted before embarkation.  A man I do recognise is Corporal Robert Hugh Evans 21105 (1886-1917), seated to the front,  as he has featured in a number of photos posted to this site. Richard Jones witnessed his death in late July 1917, a couple of weeks after Mametz Wood, and informed the parents himself.   Richard and Robert were both from Llanberis so if the other two  also were their friends, it could just be that they enlisted in sequence.  That would make the man at the back Pte Evan John Williams 21104 (1891-1916) from Llanberis and the man to the left  Pte David Richard Jones 21103 (1889-1916).  I have added a newspaper clipping of Evan Williams and think the images match.  I have nothing for David R Jones.  My deduction now is that my great uncle is the man on the right.

1360979540_1915WW1group.jpg.8592bdf1b244972ca141a58d182ee6fc.jpg

image.png

Here's a newspaper photo of 21103 David Richard Jones who was also a Llanberis man (1 Eilian Terrace) and was killed in action at Mametz in July 1916.

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3460416/3460422    (bottom left photo)

The man next to him in the above link, Owen Jonah Owen, Pte 21002 14th RWF and is also a Llanberis man (5 Llain Wen & 2 Eilian Terrace). He was wounded at Mametz and died of those wounds 12th Nov 1916. He is buried at Nant Peris.

(Mametz Wood was July 1916 so the incident where Richard Jones came across Robert Evans in the recently shelled dugout was over a year later)

To help with your elimination here's a newspaper clip of 21105 Robert Hugh Evans  (2nd from bottom on right)

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3460398/3460404/76/

The man to his left is 21176 Evan Aneurin Williams of 9 Ceunant Street, Llanberis. He was a 14th Bn man and survived the war (I think he was killed in the Quarry in 1932 but I'd have to firm up on that)

There are about 9 Llanberis men in 14th Bn around these numbers plus more from the surrounding villages.

Edited by Hywyn

Thanks for this reply, Hywyn.  You helped me a lot a year or so ago - in fact I got the photo of Evan Aneurin from you.  He was one of the few survivors of the Llanberis group.  My mistake re Robert Evans and Mametz Wood - I realise it was July 1916 and not a year later.   I'm very sure of Bob Evans now, having at least three images of him and also Evan Williams.  Your images of Owen Jonah Jones and David Richard Jones help me complete the picture of this group of Llanberis men.  However I can't square the newspaper  image of David R Jones with either of the two unknown men in my photo.  Is there any chance that you could find a newspaper photo of Richard Jones, my gt uncle?  So far, I haven't been able to find one.

I had a feeling that we had communicated but couldn't pinpoint it. (Found it now)

I'm afraid that I haven't come across a photo of Richard Jones. Plenty of newspaper references to him (which you have) but no photo.

Thanks!  I spent an hour or so going through Welsh papers last night and, as you say, there are no photos.  I'm pursuing long out of touch family now to see if there's anything in the archives.  Could you remind me where I can access embarkation lists?

Anne. I take it you mean the 14th Bn list. I'm not aware of any other RWF Bn having had one compiled.  I got a copy* at Bangor University Library. There are copies at RWF Archives which are now part of Wrexham county archives.

Anyone in particular you are looking for?

* the copies are A3 so not easy to scan and send.

I need to visit Wrexham archives, I guess.  My general aim is to establish all the names, numbers and personal details of the group of Llanberis men in the 14th Battalion who would have been my great uncle's friends or comrades.  I've picked up a fair amount from Forces War Records.  You mentioned  recently  'There are about 9 Llanberis men in 14th Bn around these numbers plus more from the surrounding villages' - could you send me the names and numbers as I feel I have only 3 or 4 so far.

4 hours ago, Anne Thomas said:

I need to visit Wrexham archives, I guess.  My general aim is to establish all the names, numbers and personal details of the group of Llanberis men in the 14th Battalion who would have been my great uncle's friends or comrades.  I've picked up a fair amount from Forces War Records.  You mentioned  recently  'There are about 9 Llanberis men in 14th Bn around these numbers plus more from the surrounding villages' - could you send me the names and numbers as I feel I have only 3 or 4 so far.

I have a group photograph taken at the second reunion of the 14th R.W.F. at Llandinham in 1937.  One of those attending is listed as Rees Jones, Fron Heulog, Llanberis. 

14th R.W.F..1937.jpg

14th RWF.-Reunion (2).jpg

14th RWF. (2).jpg

14th RWF.- (2).jpg

14th RWF.-.. (2).jpg

Guy

There are three Rees Jones that I can see on the Embarkation Roll

21124 Rees Jones from Trealaw, Rhondda. He was a casualty 6 5 1916 and cannot therefore be one of the above.

20779 Rees Jones of Ty Nant Mills, Tynant, Corwen. Possibly under Merioneth in your reunion material if you get a chance to look.

20715 Rees Jones of 10 Brittania Street, Bangor.

The addresses on the reunion list are likely to be 1938 ones I'd imagine so he could be one of these two.

Drawing on years of researching men who served from that area I cannot put a Rees Jones from Llanberis to RWF. This does not rule out that there was one of course.

(I have considered variants of Rees)

Anne

I will address your query later. Do you read/understand Welsh?

Edited by Hywyn

9 hours ago, Hywyn said:

Guy

21124 Rees Jones from Trealaw, Rhondda. He was a casualty 6 5 1916 and cannot therefore be one of the above.

20779 Rees Jones of Ty Nant Mills, Tynant, Corwen. Possibly under Merioneth in your reunion material if you get a chance to look.

The addresses on the reunion list are likely to be 1938 ones I'd imagine so he could be one of these two.

Drawing on years of researching men who served from that area I cannot put a Rees Jones from Llanberis to RWF. This does not rule out that there was one of course.

Thanks Hywyn, 

The booklet was printed and sent out for Xmas 1937.  There is a W.R. Jones and R.W. Jones listed under Merioneth, both from Blaenau Ffestiniog. 

A Google search for Fron Heulog, Llanberis brings up Fronheulog, Llanfrothen!  - ( Jones. B. lived at Vron Heulog, Thorner, Nr Leeds.)

14th RWF.-Merionethshire (2).jpg

Great document Guy.

Is that the sum total of Anglesey men, or are there more on p35?

Would love to see if there are any from the Llanfairpwll, Gaerwen or Menai Bridge areas, although most recruits from these areas would not generally have been in the 14th Bn.

56 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Great document Guy.

Is that the sum total of Anglesey men, or are there more on p35?

Would love to see if there are any from the Llanfairpwll, Gaerwen or Menai Bridge areas, although most recruits from these areas would not generally have been in the 14th Bn.

Dai,

Here are the rest of the Angelsey listings.

14th RWF.-Anglesey. (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2019 at 12:48, Hywyn said:

Guy

Anne

I will address your query later. Do you read/understand Welsh?

Hello Hywyn.  No I don't read Welsh I'm sorry to say.  Anne

I note that the group of Llanberis men I'm familiar with - apart from those from Cwm y Glo - aren't on the list, including Richard Jones 21102,  David R Jones 21103, Evan Williams 21104, Bob Evans 21105, etc