Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers

wulsten

Darryl

From Bronprys, Towyn, Meirionydd.

Medal Rolls shows 14th Bn and then 8th Bn. Although his MIC shows entry France 1 12 15 he is not on the 14th Bn embarkation roll for some reason.

He is on a Times RWF wounded list dated 12 4 1916 (same list in N W Chronicle 14 4 1916). Usually about 4 to 6 weeks from event to the Times list. This wounding most likely to be 14th Bn and a likely scenario is that he has gone to 8th on recovery?

Hywyn

Hywyn,

Once again you have come to my rescue. I have him transferring to the 8th but I couldn't discover where he was from.

Many thanks/ diolch yn fawr

Darryl

Hi

Another group picture of the 14th Battalion RWF, Corporal Robert Evans is 2nd form the right

Any ideas on the others??

Cheers

Alan

I wonder if the soldier sat on his right is this man, Pte W F Williams also of 14/RWF and with a very similar number 21129? It looks that it may be him.

post-91897-0-34645000-1452096962_thumb.j

I wonder if the soldier sat on his right is this man, Pte W F Williams also of 14/RWF and with a very similar number 21129? It looks that it may be him.

I think you are right.

What paper was that in?

I think you are right.

What paper was that in?

This one if the link works. It was Hywyn who found it for me as I was researching his medals because I have his war medal BWM).

http://cymru1914.org/en/view/newspaper/3460380/5

The Herald Cymraeg Tuesday 11th of January 1916 edition.

20564 Alfred Edwin Piper is on a casualty list in 1916 as from Llanrwst.

The Embarkation Roll gives him an address of 8 Union Street, Chester.

1911 Census has an Alfred Piper born ca 1876 at Scotland Street, Llanrwst.

(The Roll does have the occasional error, typos etc. Next one on the Roll is 20565 Peter Fox who is shown as from 10 Albert Place Llanrwst. Other material suggests Peter to be a Flint man.)

Does the Llanrwst connection (or the Chester one come to that) mean anything in respect of you great grandfather?

edit: have seen you PM now. I'll wait on the reply to this post before expanding.

Hi Hywyn,

is there a phrase used on the forum to indicate a 'find', I'll use 'bingo bingo bingo!!!' until advised otherwise?

I can now place Alfred Edwin Piper 20564 at the address attributed to Fox, P 20565 in the Embarkation Roll, so your theory of a typo looks correct.

I have just received a birth certificate of one of Alfred's daughters which took place at 10, Albert Place, Llanrwst in November 1914. Address of informant as at 22 12 1914 is 10 Albert Place, Llanrwst.

Thanks again

David

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello. I am looking for information regarding a Harold Williams (14th Battalion, RWF).

I am currently doing some research, and I can't seem to find his D.O.B. or any information about him.

Hello LouiseW,

Can you give us some more information about this Harold Williams please?  His regimental number and/or place of birth/residence would be useful.  I can see medal cards for eleven Harold Williamses who served in the RWF: two at least had numbers within the original 14th RWF number block, but that isn't conclusive.  

Clive 

Hello Clive,

Thank for getting back to me on this one. Unfortunately, I do not have any personal information regarding DOB etc. But I believe from what I've read about the 14th Battalion, they all came from the Caernarvonshire region.

I'm conducting research based on a Christmas Card that was sent to Major W.P. Wheldon by Harold Williams (1916). 

One site that I saw yesterday, had a H. P. Williams (Captain) from the 14th Battalion., which I assume is him. Although I cannot prove it conclusively.

Hi LouiseW,

I've just been tackling this in a different way on your parallel thread about Harold Williams 14th RWF !  Was the Christmas card specifically a 14th Battalion one?  

The 14th Battalion were subtitled "Carnarvonshire & Anglesey" and raised from November 1914 at Llandudno.  An analysis of those non-commissioned personnel who eventually embarked with it for France in December 1915 shows that 24 per cent gave next-of-kin addresses in Caernarfonshire; 9 per cent in Anglesey; the rest of North Wales 26 per cent; mid and South Wales 19.6 per cent; England 21.4 per cent (including a handful whose addresses were in Ireland and the USA).  

If it is of help, Major Wheldon's personal papers are held by the archives of Bangor University, ref. Bangor MS. 7059, 7060.  

Clive 

Captain H P Williams who went overseas with 14th Bn in Dec 1915 was killed in action in June 1916 and is this one

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/325389/WILLIAMS, HUGH POWELL

so cannot be the one you seek.

There are numerous newspapers articles of Harry/Harri Williams of Caledffrwd Terrace, Clwt y Bont who went over with the 14th Bn as a Lt but, according to report in the Herald Cymraeg of 1 8 1916,  was promoted Captain & Adjutant ot the 14th Bn. I'm having a problem at the moment in placing him to Caledffrwd Terrace in the census etc and so I'm not entirely sure if his name is a derivative of Harold or Henry etc. In 1920 he and his family moved to London to live. He was then the Private Secretary to D Davies MP ( Y Genedl Gymraeg 13 1 1920)

Bit more digging needed on this first name.

Is the card actually signed Harold? 

Just seen the other thread now and looks like things are coming together.

so I'm going to copyand paste my above reply to that one and I suggest, to avoid confusion,  that any further posts re Capt Harold Williams continue on the other thread.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, hodgeypodgy said:

Can anyone shed any light on a man with the least Welsh name ever 60753 A/Cpl Bohnslav Hrachovec 14 RWF

Other than he died in Lambeth Reg,Dist in March qtr.1969 aged 77.

His wife Agnes M. died in the same district in March qtr.1958 aged 66.

Can't find a record of the marriage though.

Ancestry have his MIC mis -spelt and mis indexed as ' Bohnshav'.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

44 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Other than he died in Lambeth Reg,Dist in March qtr.1969 aged 77.

His wife Agnes M. died in the same district in March qtr.1958 aged 66.

Can't find a record of the marriage though.

Ancestry have his MIC mis -spelt and mis indexed as ' Bohnshav'.

Thanks very much!

I fired up my database fully expecting him to be amongst a block transfer in but not so. He is bang in amongst all the Jones/Williams/Evans etc etc from North Wales towns. They were called up mid November 1916 to 3rd (Reserve) Bn for their training.

I see from his MIC that he was (later?) in the Royal Fusiliers GS/95692

There are also some public trees on Ancestry from the USA for the surname, which suggests the surname is Bohemian in origin.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

• 2 months later...

Currently in Ypres paying our respects to Arthur Edwards 55334 of 14th Battalion. He died 18th February 2017, buried in Bard Cemetery. Any info anyone has on him would be great to hear. I will look at the links too.....

• 3 months later...
On 23-7-2013 at 23:37, Alan James said:

HI

I am researching Robert Hugh Evans 21105 - 14th Battalion Welsh Fusiliers....who was my gr grandmothers brother.

I have some info gained from Ancestory.com....and very limited family knowledge of him - however does anyone know if any military records exist of him?

Many thanks

Alan

• 1 month later...
On 23-7-2013 at 23:37, Alan James said:

HI

I am researching Robert Hugh Evans 21105 - 14th Battalion Welsh Fusiliers....who was my gr grandmothers brother.

I have some info gained from Ancestory.com....and very limited family knowledge of him - however does anyone know if any military records exist of him?

Many thanks

Alan

Hello, I found some information dealing with a certain Hugh and Robert Evans from the 14th Coy RWF. However when researching the  CWGC database, the information I got is incorrect. Neither their names, their parents, the cemeteries, the date of death matches.  There are no "Evans" fallen of that Regiment, on that date,  with those christian names, and none is buried at the cemeteries mentioned. This is what I got: (from: "the long long road" / whom I informed of these errors, but who didn't care to reply) Maybe someone else can help here

HUGH EVANS,  aged 22, and his brother ROBERT EVANS, aged 20, both (?) were killed on 24 December 1915 (?)

They served with  14th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.  Hugh was in 'D' Company and Robert in 'B'. They  were the sons of Evan and Jane Jones of 24 Romer Road, Kensington, Liverpool. Hugh is buried in Rue-du-Bacquerot Laventie (?) and Robert in La Gorgue Communal Cemetery (?)

• 1 month later...