wyliecoyote

25 cm Minenwerfer crew in 1918

NB: Pioneers, not artillerymen...

Hi Andi,

You are absolutely right, that is why I didn't add the words 'artillery',

Regards,

Cnock

on the subject of corrections,

Post 99, labeled "coastal gun at the Somme." is incorrect. It is a captured French gun from Herebois, Verdun, February 1916. Photo from 10. RD photgrapher.

Source BA-MA W10-51545.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I didn't invent.

This was written on the back of the original war time foto.

Cnock

post-7723-1220891988.jpg

Prussian Kugelhelm, one years' volunteer 'alte Regimenten'

Cnock

post-7723-1220892075.jpg

Hi Paul,

I didn't invent.

This was written on the back of the original war time foto.

Cnock

Eddy,

I have no doubt it's on the back of your photo. But, there is also a print in the BA-MA archives, with a numbered list (see the number 918 on the photo) with the description I posted. The original is from the 10. RD photographer. There are also other photos of the same gun from the series with the same small log propped against the barrel.

Paul

Both the Hessian & Baden helmets appear to have concave chin skills, so they both originate from Feld Artillery Regiments.

Here is a site well worth checking out for German artillery:

I love artillery

Paul

Very nice P08! Very nice in deed!

Photo of Bavarian Feldartillerymen in front of rail cars,cancelled by Der 6 ARMEE, dated 7 January 1915. The sign reads "Prosit Neujahr Im Felde 1914 - 1915". The gun at left appears to be covered. Can anyone tell me where the 6th Armee was in Jan. 1915?

far19141915fz1.jpg

I'd like to thank Paul for identifying my 327 shoulder boards and Geo for posting my question on this forum. I appreciate it very much Gentlemen. This is a very informative and interesting thread.

Here are a couple of shots of my M07/10 foot artillery tunic on which the boards are temporarily being displayed. The black piped brandenburg cuffs only appeared on tunics from this branch of the artillery. The collar here is a green M15 wartime upgrade, but normally it would be made of the same field grey cloth as the tunic and piped in black.

Hans

post-32871-1221456589.jpg

post-32871-1221456682.jpg

Grabenhelm

Thanks for posting that excellant feldrock!

So now I can see what I have learned from this thread: Your Beri au Bac 1918 photo is a battery of M16/17 21 cm Lange Morsers.

Both my 1918 photos have cammoed guns too. Is 1918 the same year the artillery were starting to be cammoflaged?

Beri au Bac, was this during the last German offensive on the Western Front?

Geo

Grabenhelm

Thanks for posting that excellant feldrock!

So now I can see what I have learned from this thread: Your Beri au Bac 1918 photo is a battery of M16/17 21 cm Lange Morsers.

Both my 1918 photos have cammoed guns too. Is 1918 the same year the artillery were starting to be cammoflaged?

Beri au Bac, was this during the last German offensive on the Western Front?

Geo

I'll have to look up Beri au Bac again, but I think that's right. The topic of camo painted guns and helmets has always interested me because I believe they were linked in regard to when the camo was first introduced and the types of patterns used (timeline). The dot pattern shown in my picture was, according to contemporary accounts, used earlier than the geometric patterns, which were introduced in July 1918 on a large scale. What I haven't determined yet is how early the dot or splotch pattern camos were first used. Mortars, Machineguns and even field equipment like gas mask canisters were also painted in camo patterns.

Hans

The topic of camo painted guns and helmets has always interested me because I believe they were linked in regard to when the camo was first introduced and the types of patterns used (timeline). The dot pattern shown in my picture was, according to contemporary accounts, used earlier than the geometric patterns, which were introduced in July 1918 on a large scale. What I haven't determined yet is how early the dot or splotch pattern camos were first used. Mortars, Machineguns and even field equipment like gas mask canisters were also painted in camo patterns.

Hans

I hope I'm not going too far off topic here, but I thought I'd show two of my helmets to illustrate the two main types of camouflage paint patterns found on both helmets and guns.

The first shows the "earlier" dot pattern, in this case made up of black, green and ochre splotches painted overtop a brown base.

post-32871-1221592275.jpg

post-32871-1221592462.jpg

This example shows a helmet painted in a geometric pattern officially recommended in July 1918. This helmet has four colour panels of green, yellow ochre and 2 shades of brown. These are separated by fairly wide black dividing lines.

post-32871-1221592656.jpg

post-32871-1221592715.jpg

Hans, I have to agree that the helmet & field gun cammo's are related, and yes on target with the thread. I really am glad you posted thes, as I have never seen an original "splotch" pattern before, I have only seen an old photo with one hanging off of a cannon.

Here's a photo with just "1916" written on the reverse. Men from F.A.R. 23, the unit is identified by the shoulder strap of the man at right. 2. Rheinisches Feld-Artillerie-Regt. Nr.23 (Coblenz) IX Armee Korps.

far231916fm5.jpg