Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial German Artillery

wyliecoyote

Wow! This looks like something you would expect to see the Spanish Army using in Cuba in 1898. Does anybody know what model 21 cm Morser this is? Very cool photo, Cnock, your collection of artillery photos is outstanding! You have really made this thread.

Geo

Wow! This looks like something you would expect to see the Spanish Army using in Cuba in 1898. Does anybody know what model 21 cm Morser this is?

Luckily I have my copy of Sonja Wetzig's 'German Artillery 1864-1910' (Schiffer Military History) to hand:

21cm Mörser 1899, a modestly modernised version of an older bronze gun. Weight in position 4820 kg, shell 83-120 kg, actual calibre 211mm.

ARL

Does anybody have a copy of the Ehrenbuch der Fußartillerie ?

Yes, I do...

Paul

Stahlhelm, a member of pickelhaubes.com is trying to identify a pair of shoulderboards, they are yellow boards, with red crossed cannons & red 327 below the cannons at the end of the boards. For a link to the photo click here. Can you identify what unit they belonged to?

Geo

Stahlhelm, a member of pickelhaubes.com is trying to identify a pair of shoulderboards, they are yellow boards, with red crossed cannons & red 327 below the cannons at the end of the boards. For a link to the photo click here. Can you identify what unit they belonged to?

There is no '327' in the listing of Fussartillerie for October 1918, although that of course does not confirm that one did not exist at some point earlier in the war. I would think it likely to be either an independent battery (there were an immense multitude of these, especially on the Eastern Front with captured ordnance - many were dissolved or amalgamated later, or indeed destroyed and not rebuilt) or an independently numbered munitions-kolonne as suggested.

Fußart.-Bttr. Nr. 327, formed 1.7.1915 VIRK, 5AOK. Initially armed with s. 12 cm K's. Later became 1./ LandFußaBatl. 64 (formed sometime in 1917). That's from files from the Stuttgart archives.

I wasn't aware batteries had seperate shoulder insignia (?)

Paul

Ah, I did some reading and I see that independent batteries did wear their number after 1.3.1916...interesting.

Paul

Greetings to themonsstar! Nice photos!

First one, the Mecklenburg-Schwerin, nice, what number is his shoulderstrap?

The back of the second photo: Errinerung von Anton(?) Wissman(?) ? ? ? 1917. Can you read the last line above 1917?

4th down: Bulgarians or Russian?

5th one down, looks like a studio but it is a drop down screen in a barn, see the horse nose at right? That is a very cool photo! What number shoulder strap is on the Feld artillerist to the left?

6th is nice to have all folks in the photo identified. Too bad they are all not like this one.

7th is a nice Boot Camp rekruten photo from 8 Nov 1913. Can you read the location on the upper camcellation stamp? How about the small sign at left? Very nice pics, Thank You for posting!

Hi,

picture most probably taken at training site.

Cnock

Hi I`m not big on German Pics or on ww1pics . but how can you say this is a training pic ? as most of the pictures on this thread are posed ? :blink:

Hi all,

I had posted this in another thread some time ago, but thought it more pertinent to mention in this thread:

http://ph0ebus13.googlepages.com/home

My grandfather was in the Imperial German Artillery, and his personal pictures from thre front can be seen via the link above.

Any information you may have about the 43rd Field Artillery Regiment would be greatly appreciated; what I know (which is not much) is on the page above.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Captions says 21 cm Môrser (old model) at the Somme

Cnock

Luckily I have my copy of Sonja Wetzig's 'German Artillery 1864-1910' (Schiffer Military History) to hand:

21cm Mörser 1899, a modestly modernised version of an older bronze gun. Weight in position 4820 kg, shell 83-120 kg, actual calibre 211mm.

ARL

Just realized that this was one of the morsers that Hoplophile was discussing in an earlier thread:

The German custom of calling their 210mm short-barreled artillery piece a Mörser ('mortar') was a relic of the late nineteenth century, when the term lange Mörser ('long mortar') was used to designate artillery pieces with barrels that were about twelve calibres long. In other words, the 1910 model Mörser was a Mörser because its daddy (the 1899 model) was a Mörser, and the 1899 model Mörser was a Mörser because its immediate predecessor (the date of introduction of which slips my mind) was a Mörser.

dundeesown-Hi I`m not big on German Pics or on ww1pics . but how can you say this is a training pic ? as most of the pictures on this thread are posed ?

Concerning German recruits: A German platoon was made up of 8 Grüppen, each of eight to 10 men. A group of two Grüppen was known as a Korporalschaft. A Korporalschaft was led by an Unteroffiziere. Therefore, a platoon had four Korporalschafts. Once they were in a Kaserne (means barracks), a group of recruits would live in a big room known as a Stube. Trainees were divided one Korporalschaft for each Stube. The sign at the right in the rekrut photo you can read Die Lustige Stube 8, you will come across many, many recruit photos, even from the Pre-War years, and they will display a similiar sign including the phrase "Lustige Stube", "the merry room", and that is how I came to call it a recruit photo.

ph0ebus, glad you have joined the discussion. Been a while since I fist saw your Grandfathers photos on pickelhaubes.com. A perfect addition to this thread, thanks for sharing them with us!

Geo

We have an evolution in photos of the German 21cm Morser. First Cnock's photo of the M1899 21 cm Morser:

post77231220517827hu9.jpg

Next the M1910 21 cm Morser. (To the left in the photo).

21cmorserm93feldhaubitzjt5.jpg

And Next the M1916 or M1917 21 cm Lange Morser. Quite a jump in technology in under 20 years.

franzflandern191821cmcaud5.jpg

...We have an evolution in photos of the German 21cm Morser...

As Jack would say, at the risk of sounding pedantic, the terms used by the Germans were:

21 cm Mörser, Mörser, Langer Mörser, respectively. I think using these will eliminate a lot of confusion when referring to German texts.

Paul

These are drivers (Fahrer), and therefore dressed as mounted troops, with riding trousers and boots and the cavalry-style belt buckle. Gunners (Kanonier) wore infantry tousers, boots and buckles. Notice the leather-bodied fist strap (faustriemen) on the bayonet instead of the infantry-style troddel:

FAR31_detail2.gif

I know very little about bayonet models - can someone ID the above? I am working on a Feldartillerie 'living history' impression and am pondering what type of bayonet I may need.

Incidentally, the 1917 artillery manual I possess still states that in the Feldartillerie the authorised equipment of a Fahrer is a sword and revolver, that of a Kanonier a bayonet and a revolver or automatic pistol.

ARL

Andi

Quite by accident I came across some bayonet info in Anthony Carter's German Bayonets Volume II. Regarding the S 84/98n.A. (second type) bayonet, it was introduced in 1915 to provide a short bayonet for the cavalry, FIELD ARTILLERY, & technical troop. Learn something new every day!