Remembered Today:

Imperial German Artillery

wyliecoyote

7,7 cm field gun used as Ballon Abwehr Kanone

To reduce the recoil a heavy weight has been attached under the barrel

Cnock

post-7723-1220364388.jpg

Not daft at all!

The Heer was term used for the German armed forces between 1935 - 1945. Wehrmacht was the term used for the German Armee 1935-1945.

Armee or in English, Army, is the term used for the Alte Armee before 1919. Reichswehr was the term used for the Versailles restricted National Defense Army 1919-1935.

Thanks for that - I recall hat Bundeswehr helicopters used to have markings "HEER" - has the term reappeared again?

Stephen

Easy to forget that Anti-Aircraft tactics were a new career field and so were the tACTICS & EQUIPMENT.

No kidding,

Rare photo of weapons testing on one of the first AA weapons in the German army.

s.S.s n/A

(schwere Steinschleuder, neuer Art)

post-3882-1220372220.jpg

15 cm Ringkanone

Cnock

A timely reminder of the intimate involvement of the gunners in chemical warfare - both, increasingly, as the primary delivery mechanism and as the primary target for enemy gas shells.

From 7th to 25th October 1916, 4. and 5. Batteries / FAR 48 (both armed with 10.5cm lFH) were detached from the regiment and used as reinforcing artillery for 17. Res. Div. Firing from North of Le Mesnil they delivered concentrated fire against the artillery supporting the allied drive on Sailly-Saillissel. Using Green Cross (phosgene), they reached a peak daily rate of fire of 400 rounds per gun (though I am not sure from my IWM notes here whether they were exclusively using gas shells to achieve this figure). The working environment for the kanonier whilst engaged in these counter-battery 'gas duels' must have been ghastly, most especially after both sides started making heavy use of mustard gas.

My GGF, incidentally, was extremely hard of hearing when he returned from the war.

ARL

No kidding,

Rare photo of weapons testing on one of the first AA weapons in the German army.

s.S.s n/A

(schwere Steinschleuder, neuer Art)

:D

This low tech solution has given me stomach cramps! lol! Paul are you sure it's not a schwere Steinschleuder a.A.? (lmao!).

Thanks for that - I recall hat Bundeswehr helicopters used to have markings "HEER" - has the term reappeared again?

Stephen

Yes it is!

Did anyone get a chance to check the link on post# 75 for that gorgeous FAR 49 ensamble?

Cnock, your collection of photos is excellant!

George,

thanks

part of crew 7,7 cm FK

Cnock

George,

thanks

part of crew 7,7 cm FK

Cnock

January 1918

Iron crosses 2nd Class for members of Reserve Field Artillerie Rgt nr.50

Cnock

post-7723-1220380235.jpg

post-7723-1220380295.jpg

Hi you Lads have probably seen this one but I`ll put it in anyway.

pic from First World War in Photographs ( Imperial War Museum ) Richard Holmes>

all the best Gary. ^_^

dundeesown

Thanks for posting! Does the book mention the location of the photo. Can you tell whether or not the bayonets are M71's or Artillery Seitengewehre?

George,

the man left of the gun breach is wearing I believe an Seitengewehr 1864 umgeändertes Muster (U/M)

Cnock

George,

it is not a bayonet, I have the same one, it has a slightly curved blade ( old French blade) visible on the pic of dundeesown.

Normally I have a pic of it, but cannot find it.

Mine is marked L.M. (Landwehr Munitionskolonne)

Copies of it are made in India, since some 15 years.

Regards,

Cnock

dundeesown

Thanks for posting! Does the book mention the location of the photo. Can you tell whether or not the bayonets are M71's or Artillery Seitengewehre?

Hi I`m sorry book has no Location for German field gun.

Gary.

George,

Seitengewehr 1864 U/M compared with its Saxon counterpart (middle) and bayonet mod.1871

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1220429879.jpg

Cnock

Took me a while to type a response, not only did I have to change my shirt from drooling, had to pop my eyeballs back in their sockets! Absolutely excellant! My collection of bayonets is mostly gear towards ones issued with Gew 88's, but I have always admired the Artillery models. I only have a matching S71 with regimental for the Saxon 108th, probably my favorite.

Very nice indeed, thanks for posting those.

Very interesting to see the artillery shortswords(?) and especially the Saxon model!

My GGF - Gefreiter Arno Bierast of FAR48, La Ville aux Bois / Juvincourt sector, July 1916...apparently equipped as a fahrer on this occasion, and now wearing a vereinfachte tunic with plain cuffs:

Arno_mounted_1916.gif

Interesting to note that his bayonet is just about visible here:

Arno_mounted_1916_detail.gif

Arno complains that the horse wouldn't stay still for the photo:

Arno_mounted_1916_bk.gif

Previous topic with further images here.

Unfortunately this one is the latest dated picture of Arno from WW1 that we possess - nothing has so far turned up for 1917-18, though his CV clearly states that he served for the duration. We suspect that further service mementoes were lost when my GGM's cashbox was stolen many years ago - it definitely contained his Iron Cross (class unknown, I never saw it), 'Hindenburg Cross' and (Royal Saxon) St Henry Medal in Bronze.

ARL

Andi

Thanks for the link, it is very cool that you can track the military service of a relative from so many years ago. The jumpy horse explains his expression, lol. Can you tell what type of bayonet he is armed with? Hard to tell from the scan. That and what ever was under his tunic is obscuring the bayonet scabbard.

Geo

Andi,

the Saxon shortsword was not intented for artillery, mine is marked 107 R

Regards,

Cnock