Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surrey Recruitment Registers

ChrisC

I have just purchased the CD from the Surrey Family History Trust. It contains the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment & East Surrey Regiment Regimental Recruiting District's register from 1908 to 1933. It seems to contain all those who enlisted within the recruiting district but not men who enlisted elsewhere and went into those regiments. A useful resource nontheless.

Chris C

Chris

what sort of details does it include?

Chris

Hello Chris

Please could you have a look for 7593 Pte William Arthur Prior, 1st East Surrey Regt.

SDGW says he enlisted at Kingston; it may have been before 1908 though.

Also 46712 Pte William Arthur Deacon, 19th Queen's. SDGW says London, but may have fallen within Surrey?

Many thanks.

Hello Chris

Have the Recruitment Books enabled you to resolve the mystery of your grandfather?

Regards

Mel

Chris

Could you check G/23185 Pte Herbert Cornwell Please

Chris

Hello,

Could you check for

Pte Albert Howard 265482 Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment ?1916

Pte Harry Howard 38401 East Surrey Regiment

Lance Corporal H W Hursey Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment

First two from Westerham, Kent not sure about the 3rd but local.

Many thanks,

Jo

Mel, regretably not, but I'm applying to Glasgow for records.

All other Pals I will have a look at all your enquiries on Sunday and let you know.

The level of detail varies. Name, medical classification (war years), sometimes address, sometimes name of proposer of the recruit. Numbers do not seem to equate to regimental. Well worth the 15 quid though and as it arrived the next day, shows the West Suurey History Trust is an efficient outfit!

Chris C

7593 Pte William Arthur Prior, 1st East Surrey Regt.

William Arthur Prior East Surrey Regiment 3rd Bn Spec Res. Attestation date 11/08/14 Kingston. Place of birth East Isley Berkshire Age 34 yrs 1 mth Height 5' 4" Weight 114lbs Chest 35.5" exp 2.5" Eyes Brown Hair Dark Brown Occupation Groom

46712 Pte William Arthur Deacon, 19th Queen's.

No record

Pte Albert Howard 265482 Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment ?1916

No record

Pte Harry Howard 38401 East Surrey Regiment

No record

Lance Corporal H W Hursey Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment

No record

G/23185 Pte Herbert Cornwell

No record

Chris C

Thank you, Chris. I had wondered if William Prior had been in the Army pre-War, but obviously not. Every little helps!

Thank you, Chris. I had wondered if William Prior had been in the Army pre-War, but obviously not. Every little helps!

Not necessarily. Look at the age and the fact that he was attested into a Special Reserve Bn, Plus the date, 1 week after declaration. From all I've read few "civilians" rushed to the colours then, it was only after news of the huge losses and the thought that "Your country needs YOU". Others more expert than I will certainly have more info on the significance of that but he may have been a pre war regular. I suggest more searching.

Chris C

He doesn't appear in the 1901 census anywhere I might expect to find him, so I had wondered if he was in South Africa with the Army. Yes, he could have been called up as a regular; but from his description he sounds a bit on the small side. Would there have been a minimum height requirement in the pre-1914 Army? I have read about the so-called Bantam battalions which accepted men below a regulation height, but I'm afraid my recollection is a bit vague ...

He doesn't appear in the 1901 census anywhere I might expect to find him, so I had wondered if he was in South Africa with the Army. Yes, he could have been called up as a regular; but from his description he sounds a bit on the small side. Would there have been a minimum height requirement in the pre-1914 Army? I have read about the so-called Bantam battalions which accepted men below a regulation height, but I'm afraid my recollection is a bit vague ...

5 foot 4 was not particularly short in 1914. Remember average heights have shot up in the last 90 years. I have seen soldiers in the records at 4 foot 10. Have you looked at the pre war records at Kew? I found my GGF with comparative ease, knowing only surname.

Chris C

Chris,

Thanks for looking, having re-read your original post I don't suppose Albert would be there since he was originally with 1/4 Royal West Kents & went to India returning in 1916 then posted to the Queen's.

Harold was a bit of a long shot but he may have started also with the West Kents, He was my grandfather & is causing me all sorts of problems since the photo I have of him clearly shows a Fusiliers cap badge so I thought I'd found him with a MIC for Harry Howard, East surrey & Fusiliers.

Lance corporal Hursey(G492) joined up early, 1914, apparently at Croydon, so I'm surprised there's no record for him. He was wounded 1915 ( Loos) & spent the rest of the war as an NCO training instructor.

I don't suppose you could just check again for Harold Howard, thanks

Jo

Harold was a bit of a long shot but he may have started also with the West Kents, He was my grandfather & is causing me all sorts of problems since the photo I have of him clearly shows a Fusiliers cap badge so I thought I'd found him with a MIC for Harry Howard, East surrey & Fusiliers.

Lance corporal Hursey(G492) joined up early, 1914, apparently at Croydon, so I'm surprised there's no record for him. He was wounded 1915 ( Loos) & spent the rest of the war as an NCO training instructor.

I don't suppose you could just check again for Harold Howard, thanks

Jo

Hi Jo

Remember , Harry is not Harold. A man who was known by one name in his family may well have enlisted under his correct name. There is only 1 Harold Howard. Enlisted into the RFC.

There are 2 Hurseys. 1 is RE and the other East Surrey. The Regimental Districts covered by the CD seems not to have included Croydon in 1914, but only in1916 - even though it is in Surrey.

Chris C

Hi Chris,

The Harold Howard RFC on NA was a captain, so not my grandfather since he was a private, but the only other possibility was that he had joined up using Harry instead of Harold. Have searched H, harold & Harry & only turned up 1 possibility.

Harry Howard East Surrey Regiment Pte 38401

R Fus GS/78813

I have to say that this is all very new for me & everyone has been so helpful, still very confused though!

Jo

Chris

My thanks for looking

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
I have just purchased the CD from the Surrey Family History Trust. It contains the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment & East Surrey Regiment Regimental Recruiting District's register from 1908 to 1933. It seems to contain all those who enlisted within the recruiting district but not men who enlisted elsewhere and went into those regiments. A useful resource nontheless.

Chris C

Hi Chris

Would this include Herbert Ernest Randall DCM - he enrolled in the Royal West Kent Regiment, November 11 1914, lived in Crockenhill, and was transferred to the RWS one week later??

Many thanks

FrankC

Chris,

There were a couple of fairly large groups of lads who enlisted into the Lincolns, at various towns in Surrey. I wonder if you would mind searching for a few of the lads. The groups include a surprising number who were later commissioned or became senior NCOs.

John Arthur Pighills (12674 Lincs later 2nd Lt, West Yorks)

Herbert Tugwell (12681 Lincs)

Ernest walter Adams (12684 Lincs)

I'd be happy to give you more info on the group, if you are interested.

Jim

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I wonder if you could please look up my Grandfather.

Pte William Parsons, The Queens Reg. I have a copy of the MIC which shows that he had two service numbers. They were T 2255 and T 240530.

Many thanks,

Keith

• 3 months later...

hiya just wondered if u could help me at all

im looking for men who live in croyed sum1 told me they would have been in the

queens royal west surry regiment and i got old u are the 1 to help me

their names are

micheal donovan

jeremiah donovan

george donovan

john donovan

cornelius donovan

anything u have would be alot of help

thanks tasha

Snap!!!!!

You beat me to it.

Surrey recruitment registers on cd also came through my letter box this morning.

The copy I have details all the men recruited in Surrey & not just those sent to either the East Surrrey or Queens West Surrey Rgts. Is this the same one you have?

Also if you get snowed under with look up requests give me a shout, I'm sure I could help.

Andy

micheal donovan

jeremiah donovan

george donovan

john donovan

cornelius donovan

anything u have would be alot of help

thanks tasha

Tasha

Cornelius Donovan -

Volume 35 page 179

Royal Flying Corps

Age: 24 years 6 months - Height: 5' 3 3/4'' - Weight: 118lb - Chest: 36'' - Expansion: 2''

Complection: Fresh - Eyes: Blue - hair: Brown - Distinctive marks: Scar Leg+

Occupation: Fitter & Turner - Birthplace: Camberwell - County: Surrey -

Attestation Date 05/12/12 - Where Attested: Kingston

Remarks: FH Sprang, 87 Grange Road Bermondsey

More to Donovans to follow

Andy

Tasha

J Donovan

Hope it's the right one, First name is only listed as J but it's the only J Donovan from Croydon to enlist in Surrey.

Volume 3 page 195

Connaught Rangers

Age 31 years & 6 months

Height 5' 7''

Weight 1161lb

Chest 40''

Expansion 3''

No complection, eyes, hair entered

Distinctive marks Scar+

Occupation Labourer

Birth place Croydon

Attestation date 14/06/15

Where Attested Croydon

Yet more to Donovans to follow

Andy

Tasha

George Donovan

Croydon is not mentioned but this is the only George or G Donovan to enlist in Surrey so hope it's your man

East Surrey Rgt (4th Bn)

Age 17 years 10 Months

Height 5' 4 3/4''

Weight 109lb

Chest 33''

Expansion 2''

No complection entered

Eyes Blue

Hair Brown

Distinctive marks moles face+

Occupation hawker

Birthplace Wimbledon