Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rolls-Royce Armoured Cars

yellow

RRAC-did you ever get to the bottom if the numbering system for these vehicles & the other types?

All the best

Dom.

• 2 months later...
On 25/08/2016 at 20:38, Guest dalevy said:

A couple mor pictures from my grandfather's archives.

David Levy

Goodman cohen RR 006.jpg

Goodman cohen RR 007.jpg

Goodman cohen RR 008.jpg

Goodman cohen RR.jpg

Hi 

These pictures of Iraqi Kurdistan have a picture of Erbil castle behind them

On 27/11/2023 at 14:48, Danaz said:

Hi 

These pictures of Irak Kurdistan have a picture of Kirkuk  castle behind them

• 2 weeks later...

domsim,

I am still making progress on identifying these cars.  Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.

BTW - I am "MarkV" in the landships forum to which you linked.

RRAC

I have two offerings for this thread - the first is from the summer of 1915

N0356H.jpg.ffda921b6f5fd0120f3918f3f2826fab.jpg

The second is more problematical showing a number of cars on a train, it is captioned as Africa but there is a fragment of a station sign on the right which I think is  in India so either pre war or preparations for war.

N0658H.jpg.4bdc17b25666aa43496916bf709478a9.jpg

Edited by Stereoview Paul

2 hours ago, Stereoview Paul said:

The second is more problematical showing a number of cars on a train, it is captioned as Africa but there is a fragment of a station sign on the right which I think is  in India so either pre war or preparations for war.

Thank you for the high resolution scans!  The photo of the RR armoured cars on the train was taken in German Southwest Africa in 1915.  The cars are with the Royal Navy Armoured Car Division's 1 Squadron under the command of Lt. Cmdr W. Whittall.  You can read about the adventures of Whittall and his unit in the book, "With Botha and Smuts in Africa."  It is available in reprint and online.

Cheers!

RRAC

45 minutes ago, RRAC said:

Thank you for the high resolution scans!  The photo of the RR armoured cars on the train was taken in German Southwest Africa in 1915.  The cars are with the Royal Navy Armoured Car Division's 1 Squadron under the command of Lt. Cmdr W. Whittall.  You can read about the adventures of Whittall and his unit in the book, "With Botha and Smuts in Africa."  It is available in reprint and online.

Cheers!

RRAC

I know that this is how this image has been captioned and used - but from my knowledge of the Realistic Travels collection I believe that the date and / or location are almost certainly wrong (this is a high resolution photo, the genuine 1915 African photos in the collection are low resolution - the high resolution photos have generally been re-cycled from an earlier source). Sadly Girdwood's captions are rather creative and are still regularly taken at face value.

19 minutes ago, Stereoview Paul said:

I know that this is how this image has been captioned and used - but from my knowledge of the Realistic Travels collection I believe that the date and / or location are almost certainly wrong (this is a high resolution photo, the genuine 1915 African photos in the collection are low resolution - the high resolution photos have generally been re-cycled from an earlier source). Sadly Girdwood's captions are rather creative and are still regularly taken at face value.

Here's another photo from the book "Rolls-Royce and the Great Victory" (1919, republished in 1972) that also indicates it was taken in German SW Africa in 1915.   The rail car looks very similar to what we can see in the stereo view.  Note that the rail car is marked "S A R" for South African Railways.  The operation in German SW Africa was mostly a South African show.

RRAC

1915 German SW Africa - RR and the Great Victory-5.jpg

I agree this looks similar and the SAR proves this is correct for your image, this is definitely not the same train though as the cars are loaded nose to nose here rather than all in the same direction as in the train image (and the fragment of station sign), I am always happy to correct an assignment which I can prove. Just last week I confirmed a location from and odd shaped rock! Girdwood's images are so good that they pop up everywhere  - reference books, school text books (I can think of two front covers using the captioned information) and that documentary by Tony Robinson. The internet makes it so easy to find an image by it's description and yes that is the original caption, I am gradually sorting the wood from the trees and hope to eventually provide realistic captions for the images. 

Came across this thread whilst checking recent activity, thought you may be interested in this article by James Stejskal regarding the hunt for “Blue Mist” . Apologies if this has been previously posted.

https://warwheels.net/images/SolvingMysteryBlueMist_Stejskal.pdf

IMG_3930.jpeg

I do a lot of photo interpretation (i.e. squinting) with historic photos too!

RRAC 

3 minutes ago, Doug504 said:

Came across this thread whilst checking recent activity, thought you may be interested in this article by James Stejskal regarding the hunt for “Blue Mist” . Apologies if this has been previously posted.

https://warwheels.net/images/SolvingMysteryBlueMist_Stejskal.pdf

Doug,

I have seen that article.  It makes for fascinating reading.  Thanks for posting the link!

RRAC

I should have googled the locomotive before - the best fit is a South African Class 7D 4-8-0, there is a similar Indian locomotive but the details are much closer to the South African version. PS tried Bing and it was much worse and did not find a reasonable fit. I still have reservations about the date but at least I am in your continent - thank you

On a related note, here's a photo of a German battery at Arandis circa 1914/15, before the arrival of the South Africans and the British armoured cars.spacer.png

credit:  Tsumeb Museum, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons