Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
yellow

Rolls-Royce Armoured Cars

boctok

Many thanks for the Gazette references. 

(I was fascinated to see the "No. 4 Soda Water Section"' in the composition!)

keithmroberts

I htink we have been pushing the boundaries of the great War here, so perhaps this  topic could  stick to great War subjects from here on. I ahve not removed the recent posts as "nearly on topic"

Thanks

Keith Roberts

RJFB

Although a late-comer to this forum I can add a little information about one of the armoured cars, HMAC Bloodhound.  My father Ralph Beaney served in the RAF 1st Armoured Car Company on 1940-41 in Iraq and then the Western Desert and he was gunner/driver of Bloodhound.  It definitely was still an armoured car at that time and had not been converted to a tender as hypothesised above.  He was stationed at RAF Habbaniya in 1941 during the Rashid Ali revolt.  He also used to tell us about being at Kirkuk and Damascus with Faisal and then in the desert,  He was finally invalided out with appendicitis in late 1941 having an emergency operation in a tent by a man who was a famous Harley Street surgeon.  He believed that Bloodhound was one of the cars which served with T E Lawrence.  At some point the cars in his section received additional armour plate.  Apparently the "griff" was that this armour was some that came off HMS Hood when that iconic ship was refitted but this seems unlikely.

Back in 2008 I corresponded with John Rolph who was collaborating with Dr Nigel Warwick in the compilation of a history of the RAF Armoured Car Companies from 1921 to 1953.  He wrote that "Have done a bit of research on HMAC Bloodhound. It might have been good fortune that your father was hospitalized in November 1941 as three armoured cars were destroyed by enemy action in the retreat in Libya in January 1942, Bloodhound being one of them."

Walrus was one of two one-off "tanks" stationed at Habbaniya in 1941 see this link for more info. https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/two-dragons-or-a-seal-and-a-walrus/

James A Pratt III

The book "Warcars" is about British armored cars in the WW I period.

RRAC

RJFB,

That is a great photo of Bloodhound.  The car in your photo is a 1920 Pattern MK I.  It served in 1st Armoured Car Company, RAF in Iraq during the 1930s and into WWII.  It appears to have been the second Rolls-Royce armoured car to have this name.  The first Bloodhound was a 1914 Admiralty Pattern car that served in France and Egypt in WWI, initially with No. 2 Squadron of the Royal Naval Armoured Car Division but later turned over to the Army.  It was the earlier 1914 car that was converted into a tender during WWI.

The most visible differences between the two patterns are the height of the turret and the presence of the louvered plates on the armoured doors which protect the radiator. 

Do you have any more photos of these wonderful cars?  I would love to see them!

Mark Cowan

"RRAC"

RJFB
Posted (edited)

Here are more pictures from my father's war service in Iraq.  The first is a parade in honour of the King's birthday in 1940.  The second illustrates "Battle Formation" and the third depicts RAF Armoured Car Company 1 titled RR AC 01.

KingsBirthday1940.jpg

BattleFormation.jpg

RR AC 01.jpg

Edited by RJFB
Captions

RJFB

Apologies that it has taken so long for me to respond.  Here are some further photos from that time.  The first five show the difficulties experienced negotiating floods at Fallujah in 1940.  The last two were of members of the company with cars in the background.

FloodsFallujah1940-1.jpg

FloodsFallujah1940-2.jpg

FloodsFallujah1940-3.jpg

FloodsFallujah1940-E.jpg

FloodsFallujah1940-F.jpg

AC Crew-1.jpg

Sgt Ryan-2.jpg

RRAC

Outstanding photos!  Thank you for posting them. 

Most of these cars are updated 1914 Pattern.

Mark Cowan

"RRAC"