Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kinmel Camp - Great War remnants to be sold

geraint

. . . . and I did too, Stu, but only the first 4 secs played before my crude copper wire gave in. Must get the lineys out to repair it.

Chris

Nice video clip Stuart! nice to see the camp of the 60's hasn't changed much by the look of it. "Great thread Lads"

Cheers Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

Things are starting to move. Got a meeting with DCC regarding 'latest developments' Friday.

Nice one Geraint. I'm looking forward to your findings.

Neil

Turned out to be a glorious Denbighshire County Council cock up! "I don't know. I was only detailed for this meeting 10 minutes ago. I don't know what it's all about. I'm only the tea girl!"

Watch this space - arses are to be kicked, suits to be buttonholed, local council ineptitude to be held to account! :angry2:

• 1 month later...

I was a cadet at Kinmel in the mid 90's, the small brick building I was told was for gas mask training not sure which era.

I spent many nights in the spider huts, as for the training trenches when i was a cub scout we used to be blind folded and sent through canvas tunnels which went up and down these trenches when we had jamborees in the bodelwyddan castle grounds.

Im looking for pictures of Terfyn cottages and lwynt lodge. I saw a picture of lwynt lodge during ww1 in a documentry but have never been able to find them on the net. Im actuallt working at depot which is next to terfyn cottages built on the old bakery and stores opposite where camp 20 used to be.

I wouldnt mind seeing any photos of Kinmel park camp during any period when it was an active camp if anybody can help.

• 1 month later...

Just an update.

I contacted Denbighshire CC's Planning Dept, and was told that all planning processes have now been completed. I asked if a demolition order had been submitted and was told that the Building Regulations department would be the guiding departnment now. On contacting them, I was told that no submissions had been made. It seems, that the new proprietors are not that anxious to demolish and develop at the moment. Thank God for the credit crunch! It's still a mater of 'watch this space' :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

Hi Neil,

Looks as if those huts havent changed since i was there in 69,the camp is obviously smaller now than it was.But that bridge in pics 6 & 7 brings back memories of the log race.

This involved a section of telegraph pole and 4 or 5 bodies to carry,drag it over a course which included going through that bridge. (where was elf and safety then!!!) :lol:

Great days and Memories

Regards

Brian

Brian - Welcome to the forum!

What was that small red brick building used for in your days there?

Geraint

• 1 year later...

Bringing this up to date. The remaining bits of Kinmel were scheduled to be sold as part of a larger development at Bodelwyddan. The new development was to enlarge the Business Estate, and to build 1700 new houses. Yesterday Bodelwyddan residents held a Denbighshire CC inspired referendum regarding the proposed developments. The result was approx 300 against and 30 in favour. (Bodelwyddan IS a small village.) Though this referendum is not binding; developers will have to take the result into consideration. As the Chinese say - "Interesting times!"

Geraint, I was told that Oxford Archaeology was carrying out a site survey. It wasn't available online on the CPAT website or published in another form when I asked CPAT a few months ago. Do you know anything about its results?

Gwyn

Gwyn

Thanks for that information. I've not been at Kinmel for a while, and I wasn't aware that there was any recent archaeological interest in the place. I'll contact Denbighshire CC.

Hi

I was told that by someone in CPAT (Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust - CPAT) whom I contacted because my grandad spent time training at Kinmel. I asked specifically whether anyone intended to organise an historical site survey prior to development. Unfortunately I've lost the email.

Gwyn

Gwyn

I've a few close contacts at the Clwyd Powys - working on hillforts at the moment - they may have info. When was the survey made? With hindsight, it does strike a chord, and deep in the inner cortex of my befuddled brain 2006(ish) leaps out! DCC will undoubtedly know! :unsure:

• 10 months later...