Remembered Today:

Kinmel Camp - Great War remnants to be sold

geraint

As promised a selection of Photographs

1. Main road in to the modern Camp

2. Huts to the left of the main entrance

post-31332-1211462227.jpg

post-31332-1211462283.jpg

5. Probably the oldest structure left in the camp, storage facility? ideas welcome

6. Old bridge, access from modern camp into the old area. (where the modern shooting range is)

7. Close up the brick work supporting the bridge.

8. Site of the 1914-1960's camp.

9. Old traffic Island?

post-31332-1211462530.jpg

post-31332-1211462697.jpg

post-31332-1211462791.jpg

post-31332-1211462884.jpg

post-31332-1211462938.jpg

10. Structure just to the right of the island.

11. Brickwork below the left tree on photo 10

12. Steps to a long gone hut.

13. Sign of modern training, foxhole?

post-31332-1211463058.jpg

post-31332-1211463134.jpg

post-31332-1211463204.jpg

post-31332-1211463243.jpg

14. Old road running across a section of the camp. To the right is a wall running parallel with the road, there is a 2ft difference between the top and bottom of the wall, curious as this was the only structure of its kind.

post-31332-1211463454.jpg

15. Foundations/floor of the old huts.

16. Old fire place, only one found built into a hut. Cookhouse?

17. Urinal, there were 3 such structure next to each other, each contained 2 visable urinals in each corner of the hut.

18. Road to no where.

19. The only remaing building to have a chimney.

20. Trenches in the grounds of Bodelwyddan Castle.

21. Zig-Zag trench pattern.

22. Crater.

23. Another view of the trenches.

24. Profile of the uneven ground., the trenches would have joined.

I've many more photographs, if you'd like them please pm me so i send them in a send resolution.

Neil

post-31332-1211463630.jpg

post-31332-1211463781.jpg

post-31332-1211463868.jpg

post-31332-1211463911.jpg

post-31332-1211463952.jpg

post-31332-1211464018.jpg

post-31332-1211464077.jpg

post-31332-1211464126.jpg

post-31332-1211464170.jpg

post-31332-1211464291.jpg

Geraint and Neil.

Very well done! both of you, great report and photographs of an historic Great War site that in all probability will soon not exist.

Thanks again Rob.

One or two of those brought a tear to the eye - well, almost - after many years since I was there. Thanks for the memory.

Daggers

Brilliant details and photos.

I was gutted to miss this event. As it happens I was ill - in hospital for a minor op. I had a great view over towards the camp from my ward at Glan Clwyd hospital, but at the time you lot were poking the undergrowth in the camp I was snoozing under an anaesthetic!

I did think of you though.

Any more pics?

Hi Andrew

We were well and truely poking around in the undergrowth, glad you're now well

i'll get some more photo's to post.

Neil

New lot

1. Car Park

2. Main Gate

3. Huts, yes more

4. Main Rd

5. Entrance to modern training area, formally a hutted area.

6. Boudary Ditch from the main area to the training area.

7. Poking around the undergrowth, boundary ditch, North/South Alignment

8. Concrete Post in the ditch. WW2?

post-31332-1211820788.jpg

9. Milk Bottle, Geriant mentioned what size it was, can't remember 1/3 1/4 pint?

10. 15ft ditch, water channel? Training obstacle? Modern? there was signs of a long gone bridge.

11. Crater (Castle Grounds)

12. Trenches

• 2 weeks later...

Geraint

Thank you so much for this thread although I'm much saddened by the circumstance that led to it. I'm sad, too, not to have picked it up and taken the opportunity to visit with you.

My reason? I was a boy soldier at Kinmel Sep 64-Apr 66. I loved it. Those formative military months laid a firm foundation from which sprang 35 years service for a contented soldier whose boots fitted, who enjoyed the grub and who continues to cherish the mates he made there and throughout his career. I can think of no other path I'd rather have followed. I've only ever been back once, in an official capacity, about 10 years ago but didn't have an opportunity to 'root around'.

And key to that attitude was a firm, fair and professional training delivered by sound men, most of whom were veterans of WWII or the wars and campaigns post-1945. Many years later, whilst taking a beer with my first ever WOI (who was, by the time of our chat, a retired major), I told him how I still carried the values he'd instilled in me more than 30 years before. He smiled and said he'd once had a similar conversation with one of his first warrant officers, and that that WO had served in France in 1918. We then mused that his WWI's WO's outlook may well have been shaped by a Boer War veteran. I guess that's a significant factor in tradition.

Enough, I'll have you in tears. :blush: I'm going to PM you.

Chris

9. Milk Bottle, Geriant mentioned what size it was, can't remember 1/3 1/4 pint?

10. 15ft ditch, water channel? Training obstacle? Modern? there was signs of a long gone bridge.

11. Crater (Castle Grounds)

12. Trenches

The Milk Bottle !!!!

We as Junior Tradesmen in the 60s used to get one bottle a day (and that IS the bottle!!) I think we got it at 1030 mornings and we would swig it down and then go on a 3 mile bash and see it again later on :D and the 15 foot ditch was full of the muddyest water in the whole of Wales and there was an old creaky tree with a rope on it and you had to run and swing over to the other side :rolleyes: Yes Rope was a bit short !! Also in the near was a bunch of trees with a Thing called the Trainaisium it was a assult course built in the trees and high up B) But that Was Kinmel Park Camp a super place to go and learn how to get on in life and I can tell you it has helped thousands of Lads from the late 50s till the early 70s into a worthwhile life .I thank you for this super forum and invite you all to take a SHUFTY at the JTR RHYL forum and meet some of the Lads that are still around and have gotten on so well in Life her eis the URL

http://jtrrhyl.10.forumer.com/

Stu

I salute you

SUPER PHOTOS !!!

5. Probably the oldest structure left in the camp, storage facility? ideas welcome

6. Old bridge, access from modern camp into the old area. (where the modern shooting range is)

7. Close up the brick work supporting the bridge.

8. Site of the 1914-1960's camp.

9. Old traffic Island?

In the 60s and 70s Kinmel had one of the most advanced driver training areas in the UK hence your photo of the roundabout then over the bridge went out to the driver training area with traffic lights (didnt work) and stuff we needed before we were alowed to go out and put the fear of god up the Welsh population and sheep.But i must say most of us went on to finish our army time and go on to driving Trucks round Europe.

That little Bunker with 2 doors I am afraid to say is (I am positve :o ) where the Radioctive rods where stored for our fun days out "FIND THE GLOWING RODS" witha Geiger counter ;) !!!! Realy no wonder I dont have no Kids -_- It was situated very near the RSMs Office

There was on the the far LEFT end of the camp built in 1970 a dry ski run Yes realy we were so advanced

Thanks for the memorys

Stu

http://jtrrhyl.10.forumer.com/

I salute you

New lot

1. Car Park

2. Main Gate

3. Huts, yes more

4. Main Rd

5. Entrance to modern training area, formally a hutted area.

6. Boudary Ditch from the main area to the training area.

7. Poking around the undergrowth, boundary ditch, North/South Alignment

8. Concrete Post in the ditch. WW2?

If my memory serves me right I think that the photo Number 3 was in 1968 a MRS Medical Reception Centre .I spent a week in there with a bad dose of Athletes Foot (I prefare to call it TRENCH FOOT haha)

Stu

Hi Stuart

Thank you for your input, it's been brilliant.

I'll pm you later when i have more time.

Again thank you. Loving the picture

Neil

Stuart- Yes - I've looked. Good stuff lads.

I'm digging around for DCC latest on site sale.