Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

On 29/01/2024 at 18:38, trajan said:

Just started Somme Mud, E.P.F.Lych ed by W.Davies (Bantam Books), the autobiographical account of Edward Lynch, A.I.F, on the Western Front 1916-1918/1919. Quite gripping, really, but the equation of this in the Forward with the All Quiet on the Western Front does not ring quite true, as Remarques was very much a rear-line man called up front when needed for trenching, etc., Lynch was full-time front-line.

Julian

That book is amazing!! 

I had to put it aside a couple of times to get to collect myself again... so poignant. 

I just ordered Davies' book "in the footspteps of Pvt Lynch"... once ot's there and I get to it, I'll share my views on it. 

I read both books, you can't read the one without the other one. It is intresting search for details.

While waiting for the delivery of Pedersen's "ANZACS" to venture into the Australian and New Zealand Great War, I took the kindl to my parent's in Spain for a couple of days holiday and have sorted out John Broom's "Reported missing in the Great War" and on the same topic Richard van Emden's "Missing". Thought those two would bridge the time in between two more thorough research topics. 

I started with CE Montague's "Disenchantment" in the plane over here but was quickly really disenchanted myself... 

M. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

While waiting for the delivery of Pedersen's "ANZACS" to venture into the Australian and New Zealand Great War,

If you are researching the Anzacs had this email today from N & MP looks like a bargain to add to your pile :thumbsup:

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/the-55th-infantry-battalion-of-the-australian-army-1916-1918eyewitnesses-at-the-sommea-muddy-and-bloody-campaign-1916-1918/

I liked Richard's 'Missing' usual high standard of research and read like a detective story.

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

If you are researching the Anzacs had this email today from N & MP looks like a bargain to add to your pile :thumbsup:

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/the-55th-infantry-battalion-of-the-australian-army-1916-1918eyewitnesses-at-the-sommea-muddy-and-bloody-campaign-1916-1918/

Thanks, 

I still receive their mails, from N&M and have seen the offer. Problem is that even if the books are a real bargain, the sending costs and extra tax asked for entry in the EU are horrible!! I tried sending an order to a friend in the UK last year, for him to bring it over ... the courrier never found said friend's address and I never got the books. When I asked for them it turned out to be a case of "too bad you live on the continent... " 

M.

My problem also. There's a great bayonet bloke in Oz, Michael Rose, but to get his books here to Turkey doubles the cost... I'm on a Turkish salary, and even as a full professor can't afford it... 

Julian

6 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Thanks, 

I still receive their mails, from N&M and have seen the offer. Problem is that even if the books are a real bargain, the sending costs and extra tax asked for entry in the EU are horrible!!

For any book, assuming it is not available online in the Internet Archive, you can go to OpenLibrary.org (part of the Internet Archive) and indicate that you would like to read the book. Sometimes this is simply a matter of  Searching  to find the book page and clicking on "Want to Read". If the book is not listed in the Open Library, you need to set up a book page yourself.

The Internet Archive has said in the past it does take into account  the number of requests a particular book has received in making decisions about digitisation.

Here is the Open Library page for Eyewitnesses at the Somme https://openlibrary.org/books/OL51012163M/Eyewitnesses_at_the_Somme if anyone wants to click on "Want to Read" (You need to be signed in to the Internet Archive). Main page https://openlibrary.org

Maureen

14 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Thanks, 

I still receive their mails, from N&M and have seen the offer. Problem is that even if the books are a real bargain, the sending costs and extra tax asked for entry in the EU are horrible!! I tried sending an order to a friend in the UK last year, for him to bring it over ... the courrier never found said friend's address and I never got the books. When I asked for them it turned out to be a case of "too bad you live on the continent... " 

M.

The last time I spoke to the person who runs N&MP, he said that he was thinking of stopping exporting books entirely. It had got so expensive and long winded it wasn't worth the effort.

I have a couple of packages of books waiting for me in England if I ever get there again.

(my - main - interest in WW 1 & 2)

I'm not too sure where to leave this little pearl of wisdom, but... 

I've just spent a very pleasant 30 mins browsing through the 'books' thread. 

WW1: nearly All my books are about or by one person, then platoon/company level and a few about Batts and then battlefields & battles. No Div books, whatsoever!

WW2: once again a fair few books about individuals and low-level units, loads of battles/battlefields but LOADS of divisional books. 

WHY?

• 2 weeks later...

British Generalship during the Great War: The Military Career of Sir Henry Horne (1861-1929), by Simon Robbins, just arrived in the mail. It's part of the Birmingham Studies in First World War History series, overall editor John Bourne, and was first published in 2010. I have a newer paperback edition.

• Admin

Picked up Sisters Of The Somme in a charity shop. A book presumably published to jump on the 1916 Somme Centenary. Very misleading blurb (taken from Amazon)

With First World War casualties mounting, there was an appeal for volunteers to train as front-line medical staff. Many women heeded the call: some responding to a vocational or religious calling, others following a sweetheart to the front, and some carried away on the jingoistic patriotism that gripped the nation in 1914. Despite their training, these young women were ill-prepared for the anguished cries of the wounded and the stench of gangrene and trench foot awaiting them at the Somme. Isolated from friends and family, most discovered an inner strength, forging new and close relationships with each other and establishing a camaraderie that was to last through the war and beyond. Based on the previously unpublished true stories of its nurses and medical staff, this book is a heart-warming account of the joys and sorrows of life in an extraordinary Somme field hospital.

The “Somme Field Hospital “ is actually the St John Hospital at Etaples………..I have an interest in that establishment as it’s where Ernest Young died on 1st October 1915. Sadly the battle of Loos barely gets a mention. 

Hmmm. I have that on my bibliography, but I have tried not to add value judgements... how does it stand up against The Roses of No Man's Land?

sJ

• Admin

Not very well I’d say……….

Dear GWF Members,

I am currently reading a recent purchase, namely "War Letters of a Public-School Boy". 

This is a 1918 commemorative book prepared by the grieving father of Paul Mainwaring Jones (1896-1917).

The short-sighted Jones offered his services to the Infantry in 1915 but was refused and had to make do with an ASC commission.

He had been a brilliant scholar and athlete at Dulwich College, and - among other things - spoke French and German. 

By 1917, the authorities were less discerning, and Lieut. PaulJonesASC.jpg.9a204c6ab0f0dd13dd390bc4d93d3dd8.jpgPaulJonesXVDulwichCollege1914-15.jpg.fa97b019346a352194d946e1a6cfed8a.jpgJones was attached to the MGC (Heavy) - the Tank Corps.

KiA 31 July 1917 when commanding a Tank during Third Ypres ("C" or Third Bn.), a bullett entering a porthole, hit him in the head.

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

12 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

I am currently reading a recent purchase, namely "War Letters of a Public-School Boy". 

Very interesting Kim; I see Paul Jones is remembered on the Menin Gate. The chap sitting next to him in the team picture is Harold Gilligan, who would go on to captain the English cricket team in New Zealand in 1930, following on from his brother Arthur, which is so far unique. Harold's son in law was Peter May, so it's a kind of captaincy hat-trick.

Pete.

Waiting for my book to arrive-

1914 FIELD MARSHAL VISCOUNT FRENCH of YPRES with MAPS(1919)

John

Dear Pete,

Thanks for that: much appreciated. 

The information about A. H. H. Gilligan is most welcome. 

Perhaps other Members have information - or hold the medals - of  one or the other Boys in the Dulwich group?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

15 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Pete,

Thanks for that: much appreciated. 

The information about A. H. H. Gilligan is most welcome. 

Perhaps other Members have information - or hold the medals - of  one or the other Boys in the Dulwich group?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Just spotted >

Vintage Dulwich College register , 1619-1926, Military service, casualties,ww1

On eBay right now is

it might be related to the above Dulwich? £9.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364080815531?itmmeta=01HQVQ0C5YGGTN8E9KPZBN6HT8&hash=item54c4e85dab:g:JFoAAOSw9JRjTmOH&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4GFVmxfLfZxegcPW

Just happened to be browsing eBay when i saw your post

John

Edited by johnmelling1979

Dear John (aka "Eagle eye"),

Thanks for that.

Yes, that would be invaluable in tracking down the Ups and Downs of the Old Boys from Dulwich!

Clearly, the death of the erudite and highly-principled Jones was a huge loss, not least for his Country.

Of course, the loss of a single Tommy was similarly tragic, but Jones was a "high achiever" of unusual merit. He was convinced that he would not survive the conflict, but tempted fate by urging his transfer from the ASC to command of a Tank...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All, and Don,

Interesting: my original "First Edition" copy cost 75 GBP. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Always prefer books Kim.  Have a few Kindle editions but not read any (yet).

Reg

I have just received the new release 14th book “Sept - October 1918” in Paul Oldfield’s series “Victoria Crosses on the Western Front”. My Grandfather’s action and his biography is included.:- CSM John (Jack) Henry WILLIAMS VC DCM MM & Bar, Médaille Militaire. He is the most decorated Welsh non-commissioned officer of all time. Information in these interesting books is very comprehensive.

My Grandfather is pictured on the left of the cover:-

PaulOldfield-BookCoverJHWFeb2024.jpg.431a89c94c1905daf0ca826f9c5dcc53.jpg

'Mesopotamia 1914-15 -Extracts from a Regimental Officer's Diary ' by H.B Reynardson  (1919 ) . A very good account of the early phase of the Mesopotamian Campaign from an officer of the Ist Ox & Bucks L.I. ( 6th Indian Div ) . Recently reprinted .

• Admin

Enjoying rereading Siegfried Sassoon diaries 1915-1918. Also raced through a reread of Nothing Of Importance by Bernard Adams. 

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

'Mesopotamia 1914-15 -Extracts from a Regimental Officer's Diary ' by H.B Reynardson  (1919 ) . A very good account of the early phase of the Mesopotamian Campaign from an officer of the Ist Ox & Bucks L.I. ( 6th Indian Div ) . Recently reprinted .

This book is also available online: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.156399/mode/2up

John