Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What WW1 books are you reading?

andigger

On 18/08/2023 at 13:49, Marilyne said:

Hi all, 

have we all stopped reading?? Nobody posted since 1st June... 

I'll get on with it then... had a busy two months, unfortunately not with WW1 readings. I've fallen behind a bit on my schedule (what else is new? I hear you sigh...)

So after finishing my research on the Wimereux girls, I decided to return to the Somme a bit and have taken Sebag-Montefiore's seminal "Somme" back into my hands. I had Boyfriend bring it to me in hospital in January, but they kicked me home before the WE started and I got sidetracked. For the next two weeks holiday I want to read that one and also go back to Middlebrook's "First day on the Somme", which I read 8 years ago and Lynn McDonald's "Somme" before turning to Peter Liddle's "the Battle of the Somme reconsidered", although I understand the latter did not received the same reviews everywhere. 

We'll see how far it gets... 

M.

we're at the end of the holiday nearly and I've managed 200 pages of Sebag Montefiore... nothing to do with the quality of the book... it's just amazing, but rather with the rest of my schedule... and let's be honest: it's not easy to follow a book on a subject so important as the Battle of the Somme when next to you Boyfriend is watching st***d video' on YT or FB... :(

M.

Currently re reading Lyn McDonald's "Somme". Still a really great read. What an affinity she had with "her boys". 

On 29/08/2023 at 20:54, Marilyne said:

we're at the end of the holiday nearly and I've managed 200 pages of Sebag Montefiore... nothing to do with the quality of the book... it's just amazing, but rather with the rest of my schedule... and let's be honest: it's not easy to follow a book on a subject so important as the Battle of the Somme when next to you Boyfriend is watching st***d video' on YT or FB... :(

M.

At the risk of sounding a discordant note, M, let me say that I found SM’s book first rate in the earlier part, but that it tailed off in his treatment of the later phases of the battle. It’s almost as if he succumbed to the attrition himself, and lost heart as the book ground on …..

Phil

1 hour ago, Cockney said:

Currently re reading Lyn McDonald's "Somme". Still a really great read. What an affinity she had with "her boys". 

Yes : some snooty and sniffy criticism from academics notwithstanding, her commitment to her subject was heartfelt and her contribution to our folklore is heartwarming.

Phil

4 hours ago, phil andrade said:

At the risk of sounding a discordant note, M, let me say that I found SM’s book first rate in the earlier part, but that it tailed off in his treatment of the later phases of the battle. It’s almost as if he succumbed to the attrition himself, and lost heart as the book ground on …..

Phil

I'll keep that in mind for the rest of the book. 

M.

I just finished this book. Intresting book for those who want to read from the men that fought there. 

book.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After reading Somme 1916 and Passendale 1917, Dutch version of Somme & They Called It Passchendaele i started reading Voorjaar 1918: Tot de laatste man, Dutch version of To the Last Man: Spring 1918. As you know all books written by Lyn MacDonald.

I read the books of Lyn MacDonald years ago, also in Dutch. I like them. 

Rozen in Niemandsland, (roses of nomandsland), from Lynn i reccomend you Genietsoldaat to read. Total different than the other books.

On 18/08/2023 at 12:49, Marilyne said:

Peter Liddle's "the Battle of the Somme reconsidered",

Marilyne.

It ranks with me as one of the worst books I have read on the subject.  In my opinion, his continual bashing of the "Oh what a lovely war" or "lions led by donkeys"  brigades and many of his other comments about society at the time, "justifying" the establishment, actually do more to support the view to which he is so opposed.  It is, of course, a rather complex subject which does not warrant his summary dismissal of views with which he does not agree.  I found myself becoming more and more infuriated (angry?) as I made my way through the book.  I guess, for that reason, reading it was useful but I sure wouldn't read it again.

Reg

Edited by Don Regiano

@Geniesoldaat: welkom op dit forum !! You chose some really nice books there!! And I agree with @Loopgraaf: "Roses of No Man's Land" ranks among my favorites! 

@Don Regiano thanks foir the tip, I'll keep it in mind when reading... whenever I get to it... there's this little thing called work keeping me from the books... oh and that big four-legged something  in the barn!  

M.

On a spy trail this week, finished reading Dutch version of "Gabrielle Petit: The Death and Life of a Female Spy in the First World War" called "Gabrielle Petit: Dood en leven van een Belgische spionne tijdens de eerste wereldoorlog" by Sophie De Schaepdrijver. Now reading Dutch version of "I Was a Spy" by Marthe McKenna called "Ik was een spionne: Het mysterieuze spionageverhaal van Martha Cnockaert uit Westrozebeke". Dutch version also contains a chapter devoted to everything that happened in and around Westrozebeke at that time. Book written by Roger Quaghebeur.

Reading "Tot aan de Ijzer" by Max Deauville, nom de plume of Maurice Duwez, a doctor from Brussels. Account of his experiences on the Yser front. Original version released as "Jusqu'a l'Yser. Uitgever/publisher: De Schorre

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly finished 'Russia - Revolution and Civil War 1917-1921' by Anthony Beevor.

A quite stunning book. Huge amount of detail and personal stories. It is also a grim book with the most common ingredient being massacres of civilians, soldiers and anyone who was around at the time. This applied to both red and white sides. If they couldn't massacre a towns population they'd have a pogram against any local Jewish population.  On that level the book is a true eyeopener. 

The involvement of outside armies from Czechoslovakia, Poland, France, America and the UK is well detailed as well as the mostly incompetent leadership of the white armies.

Ben Macintyre said "Required (reading) for anyone interested in this tortured land". A very true statement.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

Maybe with the advent of all the Youtube channels and videos people are reading less books.

I enjoy watching the videos, but they cannot give you the detail that a book can

Both can help to get an idea about the front or to form an opinion about something. 

But Dignap15, you are right, in books are more details. Watch a movie that is made from a book idea. It always lost something from the story. 

8 hours ago, DigNap15 said:

Maybe with the advent of all the Youtube channels and videos people are reading less books.

I enjoy watching the videos, but they cannot give you the detail that a book can

That is very true!! 

I got my hands on a first edition of Guy Chapman's seminal "Vain Glory" from the library of the RMA, which I'll read during my holiday at my parent's next week. 

Could not think about reading this digitally ... 

M. 

4 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

I'm currently reading Michael Palin's book Great Uncle Harry. Enjoying it so far just got to Gallipoli.

That's on my Santa's wishlist.

Mike.

To continue a bit on the Somme topic... I am just putting my notes in order and consulting Oldfield's "VC's of the Western Front - Somme" from time to time (have to give that back to the library somewhere next week) and started with the Middlebrook's Guide to the Somme Battlefields with my morning coffee. I'm 50 pages through and have already ordered one follow-on book (WWII related I have to admit, on the Flying Nightingales) and have started a notes-booklet with indications for the next visits ... which cause Boyfriend, once he finally made it out of bed on this holiday, to start moaning about the fact that holidays should be FUN and RELAXING ... as if visiting a battlefield or a memorial is not relaxing... I ask you... :hypocrite::hypocrite:

M. 

• 3 weeks later...

In and around Ieper I bought 2 books.

James Fraser Bourhill:  Deveron to Devastation, brother officer of the 7th inniskilling fusiliers in the first world war

Graham J Shanks: Yet another glorious day, the 1915 world war 1 diary of Alexander Rule D company 4th battalion the Gordon Highlanders

I like diary books of written about a soldier/docter/nurse with letters what they found or searching for information about.

The left book on the picture, I started allready in it to read. 

Somebody read these books? 

20231120_225111.jpg

• Admin

Reading again after a very long time, The Hell They Called High Wood. I have an old copy dating from the early 80s, the photos are pretty poor. I know it’s been reprinted. I wonder of better photos were included? 

I bought the pen & swords 2009 edition a couple of month back - so it's on that "to read" pile - the author's pictures of the battlefield in its "actual" state are indeed quite poor. There's no new pics in them. 

M.

• Admin

Thank you Marilyne, it’s a shame the photos aren’t good. I know the ground pretty well, but for someone who doesn’t, they wouldn’t be able to glean much from them.