Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why join the RGA?

p189362

Percy,

You could look at your original post started 2004 at http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=11772 .

Basically you have do find something to tie your man to his service number or see whether his records survived WW2.

Kevin

Yes that is what I thought, without either his service number and/or his DOB I seem to be up the proverbial creek without a padlle. :o(

Percy, Hope you don't mind my comments. But I have a special interest in RGA (only because of my own Grandad - whom i can find absolutely nothing whatsoever about!!)

On reading this topic and on looking through posts - for each chap mentioned I am simultanuously looking at "Pension Records" on Ancestry to see if i can help anyone.

I happened to look at the "'Sweeneys" and found a record for one chap Joseph reg no: 114999

Then for some reason I disregarded it.

Then carried on reading another two posts and came across your post where you had put the regiment numbers of those you were querying.

Again checked - found nothing for two of them but the one for 11499 I revisited:

Joseph Sweeney Gnr RGA 114999 Permanent address given on one sheet: Roper's Farm, Bolton, Lancs

He was a signaller in the RGA - got a first class for signalling.

Looks like his former occupation was a "Farmer and Salesman" (employed by a firm in Manchester)

Served in France: June - Sept 1917

and ......................Feb - August 1918

Home: Sept 1916 - June 1917

Back in France ........Aug 1918 - Jan 1919

Joined the 135th Heavy Battery in 1918

Gas Poisoning 5th September 1917

Gas Shell 30th July 1918

Hospitalised - Coombe Lodge in Essex

also In Hospital at 1st Scots General, Aberdeen

Also another two I cannot read. - looks like Number 4 (stationery or military - Paris-Nags, Winchester) The disability statement sheet states HADS, Winchester. sorry...

Gave his National Health Approved Society as: Blackburn Philanthropic Society (with a ? after it)

and had his pension rejected on 4.4.1919 (reason: no disability !!!)

That's about all you may be interested in (or not) but it may narrow your search.

I will download and email to you if you are interested.

It will be a great blessing if his name eventually appears in the "Service records" due to be released onto Ancestry in 2009 (I think).

Sorry not to be able to help further at this stage Percy.

Susan.

Thanks for that Susan, it is not the one I am looking for but at least as you say it eleimnates one of them, I think we may be on the right track with another thread that has resurfaced that I started 4 years ago. I am going to pass the information on to a UK based friend (I am in NZ) who is better placed to do research.

Regards

Alan (AKA Percy)

Alan,

Fingers crossed for you and your man.

Susan.

• 4 months later...

Came across the following advert in the Irish Times of 30 October 1915 which fits nicely into this topic:-

post-6633-1214689247.png

Mark

• 8 years later...

Thanks all

i was about to the same question!

my wifes grandfather arthur hansford 88743 joined rga in may 16 age 29 ? before married men were conscripted. signed on in dover but might have been recruited elsewhere. He was a butcher.

trying to see where 127th HB RGA were in France but having difficulty - landed le havre 19/1/17.

all the best

Gerry

Gerry,

do you have a photo of Arthur? Remember he was in a section that joined from 203 HB, (broken up on its arrival in France) bringing 127 upto 6 gun establishment. Precise movements/actions from when he joined 127, until they became part of the Rhine Army of Occupation, were as follows:

127 HB RGA004.jpg

127 HB RGA007.jpg

Regards

Paul