Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Hi Nick,

Another one for you - this chap is mentioned in the local paper (January 1919) as being awarded the DCM but I cannot find anything else (so far!) to back it up:

WYATT, Bonsor - Sergt G/6165 Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment (possibly 7th or 3rd Battn).

Many thanks,

Andy

Found his MIC on Ancestry. Correct regiment. Nothing on there about a DCM. Nor does he appear in the DCM Citations 1914 - 1920 book.

Simon.

WYATT, Bonsor - Sergt G/6165 Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment (possibly 7th or 3rd Battn).

Andy

DCM citation was published in London Gazette #30879, 3rd September 1918, Pages 10363 & 10364. Links are here....http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30879/supplements/10363 and here....http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30879/supplements/10364.

Medal Cards (there are two) on National Archives site show his surname as WYATT, London Gazette has it published, incorrectly, as WATT.

Regards

Steve

Steve, many thanks - no wonder I was having difficulty finding him!

Regards,

Andy

• 8 months later...

Hi Nick could you look up the following please

Sgt Thomas Evans of 2nd Welch regiment. I think it is an early award in November 1914.

I have him down as Acting CSM but this appears to be a later addition.

service number is 9176

Thank you.

EDIT for service number

Thomas Evans' DCM seems to be rather later than 1914. It was announced in the London Gazette of 1-1-1917 and the Citation published on 14-2-1917.

Announcement:

http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/13033/pages/48

Citation:

9176 Sjt. T. Evans, Welsh R.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He organised the men near him, and held them together against a strong enemy counter attack. Later, he held part of a trench single handed against a hostile attack.

http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/13051/pages/337

Steve.

• 6 years later...

Hi, I am wanting the DCM citation for my  great uncle George Henry (Harry) Downing who served with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in WW1. I know that he received it for gallantry in the Battle of Loos, but I would like more information regarding the circumstances. Secondly, did he survive WW1?  Thanks, Heather

Edited by Guest

• Admin
6 hours ago, Heather Downing Stone said:

Hi, I am wanting the DCM citation for my  great uncle George Henry (Harry) Downing who served with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in WW1. I know that he received it for gallantry in the Battle of Loos, but I would like more information regarding the circumstances. Secondly, did he survive WW1?  Thanks, Heather

Welcome to the forum

Since this thread began (the last post before yours was in 2011) the Citations for the Distinguished Conduct Medal have been made available online on Ancestry.  You could also search the London Gazette (for free) to see if you can find him.

I've done a quick search for you and can't find your great uncle listed on the Ancestry database.  A search returns four Downings none of whom served in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

If you have his medals a regimental number might help as there were quite a few Downings in the Warwicks.  I did find a George Downing 2263/305291 who in addition to the 'war medals' though not the 14-15 Star, was awarded the Territorial Force War medal.  There is a tiny fragment of record on FMP that shows this soldier's full initials were G.H., this soldier apparently survived the war.

Ken

The only D.C.M. I can find for George Harry Downing is announced in the London Gazette on 11th March 1916 ( which would possibly tie in with operations at Loos ) for 8131 George Harry Jackson 2nd Royal Welsh Fusiliers . The 2nd R.W.F. were in action at Loos .  George Harry Jackson later changed his name to Downing .

Regards Steve.

Edited by esco
error

Definitely , 8131 George Harry Jackson . Previous service with 6th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment . Born Birmingham 1884 . Father George Jackson of Hookley , Birmingham .

Wounded in the throat 9.3.16 & ankle 26.9.1917 .

Address in 1919  123 Braemar Street , Kirkdale , Liverpool . 

Bricklayer to trade .

Service record available on Ancestry .

D.C.M. citation reads    ''For conspicuous gallantry when he led his platoon with great courage and skill . Later he attended and dressed wounded men under heavy fire ''

Regards Steve.

Edited by esco
Additional info.

The link to the London Gazette notification of the citation for the D.C.M. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29503/supplement/2685

The annotated pre-publication notices gives the place of the action as Cambrin, and date as 25 September 1915 [Loos as esco posted]. This notice also confirms his change of name.

Jackson, G. H., 8131, D.C.M. citation.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have access to the annotated pre-publication DCM notices for any of these three men? I am looking for dates. They were all in Gallipoli.

1792 L/Cpl. A. DAVIS, DCM.
"For conspicuous gallantry when covering a retirement under a very heavy fire at a few yards range."
[Gazetted June 21, 1916]

1623 Sgt. JAMES GREENHALGH, DCM.
"For conspicuous gallantry when covering a retirement under a very heavy fire at a few yards range."
[Gazetted June 21, 1916]

1083 Pte. SAMUEL LITTLEFORD, DCM
"For conspicuous gallantry in flinging a lighted bomb over the parapet, and thus probably saving many casualties. He was himself wounded in the arm by the explosion."
[Gazetted June 21, 1916]

Thanks in advance

Peter

Unfortunately no dates are given. The citations are rubber stamped "DARDANELLES" and a what appears to be a reference code given in brackets. In the case of L/Cpl. Davis, 1792, the code is (B1 131), see image below for example.

Sgt.James Greehalgh, 1623 - the same code is listed.

Pte. Samuel Littleford, 1083 - the code is (B1 130)

Sorry, I have no idea what this reference code refers to.

Davis, 1792, Lce. Cpl. A., D.C.M..JPG

2 minutes ago, HarryBrook said:

Unfortunately no dates are given. The citations are rubber stamped "DARDANELLES" and a what appears to be a reference code given in brackets. In the case of L/Cpl. Davis, 1792, the code is (B1 131), see image below for example.

Sgt.James Greehalgh, 1623 - the same code is listed.

Pte. Samuel Littleford, 1083 - the code is (B1 130)

Sorry, I have no idea what this reference code refers to.

Davis, 1792, Lce. Cpl. A., D.C.M..JPG

Thank you very much for the quick response. Much appreciated.

Are the annotated DCM listings available online? I'm wondering if this is something I could lookup myself in the future.

Peter

Hi Peter,

The annotated D.C.M. citations are available to download from the U.K. National Archives under WO391. They are listed as free downloads. This is the link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14595 click on 'browse' which takes you the next page listing the various volumes available.

When I downloaded them years ago you had to go through the usual purchase procedure of putting the required file in the 'basket' but when you get to checkout there is nothing to pay. 

Harry  

Edit add: Also see this http://www.omsa.org/researching-medal-recipients-part-1-free-materials-from-the-british-national-archives/

Edited by HarryBrook

Excellent. Thank you Harry that is very helpful. I also have a couple of MCs from the same time period that I need to research and so I shall start downloading ...

Thanks again

Peter