Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Extracts from a WW1 Autograph Album

jainvince

The Memories post is difficult to read in the Album!. Next two

I'm not sure if the final entry for now is by a soldier or other patient in the hospital

Bernard

post-23884-1200505788.jpg

post-23884-1200505805.jpg

post-23884-1200506005.jpg

Wonderful !

Susan.

Whilst perhaps the more profound entries have now been post as have the best pictures, i'm rounding off the post with the remaining album entries as they may yet contain an entry for a soldier being researched. Again, a couple of the entries may not be by soldiers but by nurses or orderlies. however, they are all from the relevant WW1 timescale.

Thanks for the comments.

Bernard

post-23884-1200583034.jpg

post-23884-1200583050.jpg

post-23884-1200583086.jpg

An incredible insight in to the thoughts of these wounded men. Great humour despite

what they had been through? Please keep them coming.

MacTyke and Susan Hemmings

Many thanks and glad you enjoyed the thread. Only about ten left to post. If anybody wishes a better copy of an entry then PM me and I will be happy to send it to them

Bernard P

| risk with any Autograph Album is that an entry will incorporate a folded page. This clealy occured in these albums:

Enclosed are two such pages. i'll post the answers shortly.

Bernard

post-23884-1200757310.jpg

post-23884-1200757320.jpg

Of the two teaser pages the answers to turning over were:

First entry: Nosie Parker, you dirty dog

Second entry: What the h===== did you do look here for

Bernard

• 1 month later...

As promised, enclosed is a list of those WW1 soldiers who made entries into the 2 Autograph Albums which have been kept by a local resident.

Bernard

post-23884-1203613659.jpg

Bernard

I would just like to add my thanks for this series of posts.

I have my mothers autograph book which she kept from the late 1930s through WW2. It is so similar in content, poems, quips, best wishes, marvelous sketches and even a 'teaser'.

Could todays generation produce such a document, or is it a lost art form?

Many thanks for sharing it with us.

Bob

• 2 years later...

As the albums have returned to their owner, I was looking through the post trying to find a particular entry and thought some new members may wish to view them and see the links to similar items.

Bernard

• 1 year later...

The St Andrew's Church Magazine I am transcribing includes numerous comments about soldiers from Birch Hill attending Sunday services. The vicar, the Rev Oakley was very proud of the numbers of men who volunteered from his parish and was always pleased to welcome recovering soldiers into his church. he wrote a book (or booklet) called 'Under the Flag' which contained talks to soldiers. No doubt, many of the men who pencilled into the diaries were welcomed into the local church and their attendance in uniform duly recorded. They had probably also seen his book.

Bernard

Bernard. Thank you. 90 years drifted away whilst reading the entries. ' WE WILL REMEMBER THEM ':poppy:.JIM

Fantastic bernard. What an insight they give into the thoughts and minds of all these brave Men D <BR>I think the people who run the Forum should give you a medal

Thanks for the comments. I must admit that reading through the Albums was a real pleasure and certain entries featured in an exhibition we produced for a local visitor centre. There, they also keely read. An honour to see the original soldiers entries and now the local church magazine provides some more bits of information.

Bernard

PS just glad the pictures remain (see other post about missing pictures) but at least I have kept the electronic versions.

• 8 months later...

Just found this when searching for something else. Some newbie's may not have found it yet. It is still fascinating to re-read though especially after nearly 2 years.

Bernard

Absolutely brilliant, Bernard.

Many, many thanks for 'bumping' this back up to the top of the forum.

Cheers,

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

Bernard

Yes I've just stumbled onto your great moving/humorous thread. What a read. I have a copy of my Grandmothers Family autograph book. It starts about 1910, covers WW1 and continues. Some time in the future I will post it.I may post it as a WW1 topic to include members who are not yet in Skindles as some pages cover WW1 dates, but then others don't. So you takes your choice.

Regards MN

• 2 years later...

I have just helped with researching a soldier who was a patient at Birch Hill Hospital, Wardle near Rochdale. He subsequently returned to the front never to return. He was one of 5 irish brothers who fell during or as a result of WW1. I looked through the enclosed as I knew I had posted a list of the soldiers who made entries into the Autograph Albums.

Please excuse me bumping it up into a more prominent position as I am sending links to the post so that his relatives can see and read what soldiers entered into the Albums as it may well help them understand a little more.

Bernard