Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Extracts from a WW1 Autograph Album

jainvince

Sorry if the clarity of the previous two posts is poor but it doesn't help having to make the poor original of a smaller size.

For the next post, can someone provide a translation? I am assuming its OK so apologies if it isn't!

Bernard P

A quick Google tells me it's a Welsh hymn - http://www.angelfire.com/in/gillionhome/Wo...au/marchog.html

Bernard, Again, many thanks. These are wonderful. Make you laugh and cry (sometimes together).

Susan.

Am now ploughing through the Albums and have scanned over 50 pages with many more to do. However, came across a picture which provides bith the date of the soldiers injury and when he got to hospital in England. Thouht these details may be of interest.

have also another page to show you but due to size will be done separately

Bernard P

post-23884-1192483062.jpg

Another poem from the past. Not sure whether the words are original or he has borrowed them. nonetheless, can understand the sentiments

Bernard P

post-23884-1192483230.jpg

Hello Bernard

I have followed these entries with great interest, mainly as I have a very similar album. In recent years I have come across another two albums; please take a look at mine via my little website and you will see a great number of similarities. Last night's sample is a close match to this one in my book:-

post-10-1192521194.jpeg

Hello Bernard

I have followed these entries with great interest, mainly as I have a very similar album. In recent years I have come across another two albums; please take a look at mine via my little website and you will see a great number of similarities. Last night's sample is a close match to this one in my book:-

Mike

Just looked at your website. Fascinating. Its amazing just how much information is available to link us to the men of WW1 and other campaigns. There are a number of themes of which being remembered, not being foregotten is particularly strong. Through the humour, the genuine fear also comes across hidden behind 'the stiff upper lip'.

What is also clear is their writing abilities, some letters I have read are incredibly well written as are the entries in the Albums. Many would put our written contibutions to shame!

Our Albums cover about 100 individual soldiers but some are unsigned plus some are obviously by nurses (interesting none the less). Will try and list them. I see there is a list on your website which may not have been seen by others doing research.

I do intend to post a few more extracts but am busy trying to put an exhibition together so am a bit time constrained.

Bernard

I have just come across this thread, thank you so much for sharing the words, thoughts and artwork of men in the middle of what can only be imagined by us, much appreciate it.

Cheers

Shirley

Did you spot that posts 9 and 29 are by the same man?

Did you spot that posts 9 and 29 are by the same man?

Dave

Hadn't noticed but then I was scanning about 90 pages. Some do have similar styles and in the same vein the same message has been posted by different men but in the other (of the two) albums.

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out

Bernard P

Part of the aim of our researches is to Remember and commemorate those who paid the ultimate price. From the enclosed extracts Remembrance was clearly on the minds of soldiers recovering in Brirch Hill Hospital. I have there posted them for perusal. Again, the quality of the scan is a little poor as the pen/pencil words are rather faint.

Bernard

This is amazing, Bernard, and reminds us that these events and horrors happened to real people with real emotions. Add my thanks to the others. Regards, Elaine

Moonraker provided me with a link to the Rochdale Observer's website which quotes

"Warm welcome home for wounded heroes

SOLDIERS wounded in battle were treated to tender loving care in Rochdale.

The Ambulance Drill Hall, Birch Hill Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, Castleton House, the Crippled Children's Memorial Home in Norden and Mount Pleasant at Facit were all used to treat soldiers.

The first casulaties started to arrive in November 1914. Having been treated in Manchester they were transferred to Rochdale to continue their convalescence.Belgian soldiers who had served in the trenches at Dixmude and Nieuport were taken to the Ambulance Drill Hall. Great crowds flocked to Summer Street and Milnrow Road to welcome the brave men of Rochdale.

At the same time about 17 British soldiers were taken to the Norden children's home. They were wounded in fighting near the French towns of Lille and La Bassee on the Belgian border.

The following year all the other institutions started treating soldiers as the numbers of wounded increased."

For some more details of Birch Hill hospital (where the Autograph Album's were compiled) please see

http://www.dunning94.freeserve.co.uk/birch.../birch_hill.htm

Bernard P

Sometime earlier i was asked for a list. not done one yet but heare are a few names which may just be of interest to a pal and their research.

Bernard P

post-23884-1192707657.jpg

I've been reading this thread with tears and laughter. Thank you Bernard for sharing such a wonderful treasure. An absolutely fascinating trip back into the time.

It just makes you wonder how many of these poor lads were sent straight back to the front.

It never ceases to amaze me how talented and artistic these fellows are. I know they had a lot of time on their hands whilst recovering in hospital but some of these cartoons and sketches are fantastic.

Shellyj

• 3 weeks later...

Having determined which of the many Album entries we can include in our exhibition (not that many) at Hollingworth Lake Visitor Centre, Littleborough - on from tomorrow for next 3 weeks, I can post a few more entries on the forum for pals to enjoy. There are a couple of word entries and a picture but as always the quality is compromised by making the size of the scan fit the forum requirements. Any problems and will provide a typed versio of thescript.

BernardP

post-23884-1194473323.jpg

post-23884-1194473341.jpg

Absolutely fascinating, thank you so much for sharing them :)

Up to now, i've posted a number of entries but many remain unseen. Are pals still interested or has this post gone far enough? Is there any interest in the WW1 Postcards which we have copies of? Won't post more until pals have had a chance to comment.

BernardP

Bernard: I would appreciate all postings you have time to post. For the ones of us that have not seen any of these type of jems before, they are ALL very interesting and I thank you for sharing them with us. :wub:

Doris