Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Daily Ma*l DVD series

PhilB

The Daily Ma*l is issuing a 26 DVD library entitled The Great War starting next Saturday. I have no idea how good it is but members may be interested.

post-2329-1191749395.jpg

Phil,

It is a very good series, the original BBC one from the 1960's.

Looks like I will be buying the Mail for the next few weeks, then I can dispose of my video set.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...mp;#entry541282

The above should be a link to a previous thread, although I am not quite sure what constitutes the link.

Best wishes

Malcolm

You go for years persuading the BBC (1) that the film still exists and (2) that it would be a good idea to release it again. Now it's free with a tabloid paper. How times have changed in the last 20 years, WW1-wise.

You go for years persuading the BBC (1) that the film still exists and (2) that it would be a good idea to release it again. Now it's free with a tabloid paper. How times have changed in the last 20 years, WW1-wise.

:D - Yes, there's a certain irony there, Chris! On the whole, however, I think it bodes well for the maintenance of the Great War in our national story that a national paper would think it significant enough to give away this landmark series. Although I already have the boxed DVD set, I'll be collecting the Daily Mail set over the next few weeks to donate to my kid's school. Maybe others who already have the series would consider doing likewise - the cost of a few newspapers isn't much for making such an important resource available to a new generation.

ciao,

GAC

I recently spent several weeks collecting the World at War tokens in said paper and - after spending about £20 for them plus the box (that has yet to arrive) - I now have almost 30 DVDs of the Olivier narrated history. As it was about £100 in the shops it made the pain of buying the DMl a bit easier!

I have the GW series on video.

Bernard

I think the 'buy and donate' idea is brilliant. Excellent thinking.

I think the 'buy and donate' idea is brilliant. Excellent thinking.

I got the WW2 series for my son in law who was delighted with them and I will certainly be collecting the WW1 series for myself.

Had not realised they cost so much to buy.

No crappy comments about the Mail please, I read it every day.

Sue

The series is great. I have it on a VHS boxset! My lecturer often uses it as a visual aid and the information quality is fabulous! I am a sucker for a grainy black and white documentary series! You've gotta love Sir Michael Redgrave's plummy voice!

Lynz :lol:

I got my hopes up... then came crashing back to earth. It looks like you don't get the actual DVD in the paper (other than pt1) - it's a voucher thing. Below is an extract from the article/link above -

"The first DVD is FREE inside today's Daily Mail and then from Monday, we will be printing a voucher. Simply cut it out and take it to your local branch of WHSmith or Easons, where in return you will be given that day's DVD (Excludes airport and outlet centre stores). Or if you prefer, you can just collect twelve of the separate tokens we will print in the paper and send them in an envelope to an address we will publish later in the promotion Full details are in the paper each day.

There also a chance to collect for a unique Presentation Box and free paperback book that is the perfect companion to this glorious series. So remember to pick up the Daily Mail every day for your chance to own The Great War on DVD.

PLUS - Every day during the promotion, every reader can claim a free download of a first-hand account of The Great War. Painstakingly compiled from hundreds of face to face interviews, these touching reminiscences really bring the history of the First World War to life".

Still got to buy the Daily Mail (ptooee) or you can cheat - ask a work mate if you can nick their voucher!!

Les.

Hello all !

Although this particular newspaper is shipped to Malta, I have been advised by the local agents that the DVDs will NOT be included - despite the fact that CDs that have been occasionally offered by other newspapers have.

Is there some kind soul over in the UK who is willing to purchase them on my behalf, against payment, and then only mail the DVDs out to me ? If so, please PM to arrange details.

Thanks & regards

Wayne

Would have been nice if they hadn`t made you pick up from WH sm*ths as the nearest to me are both 20 miles away making a round trip daily of 40 miles. Whats wrong with Woolie Grrrrrr.

oh well looks like fleabay

Annoyed

Coastie

Coastie, you can just save up all the vouchers from each day's papers then mail the lot to the DM office to receive the set in one go - it will just mean a few £'s postage on top.

Reminder

The Forum does not support the illegal copying of DVDs nor the illegal trade in such items - the profits of which usually fund organised crime.

Any further posts promoting such trade will be deleted.

You only need 12 vouchers to get the set +£9.99 post and packing. Or collect all vouchers to pick up the DVDs from Smiths -3 weeks worth of Daily Mails

Jane

I think the 9.99 also includes a Forgotten Voices book by the way.

In my experience if you buy the rag - I mean newspaper - from Smith's they usually give you the DVD without needing the voucher so there is the opportunity to get 2 sets if you play your cards right.

Ian

Got my first DVD today - looking forward to getting the rest (by vouchers).

If you do the voucher thing you get the opportunity to (and I quote): 'Also claim your DVD's in a special presentation pack with a fabulous paperback copy of Forgotten Voices of the Great War by Max Arthur worth £7.99 absolutely free' ............... and some more 'You can also download FREE a different first-hand account of the war every day during the promotion. Painstakingly compiled from hundreds of face to face interviews, these touching reminiscences bring the history of the Great War vividly to life. Simply visit www.dailymail.co.uk/great war for details and a step-by-step beginners guide on how to download.'

I nearly forgot to ask - has anyone bothered looking in the magazine? there is another 3 pages inside which include some cracking postcards complete with background writing on them.

Living as I do 25 miles from the nearest Smiths its a b****** pain. Still I'll have to get it by hook or by crook. Watching the original BBC programs when they first came out I was at my parents home and seeing the coverage of the Somme. A cameraman had set up shop in a communications trench and was filming men who had survived the first waves, been relieved and were making their way back, in dribs and drabs, to the rear. They looked shattered. There was a gasp from my mother who saw her father, my late grandfather, walk into camera and then out again. I have to get it just for that.

If you do the voucher thing you get the opportunity to (and I quote): 'Also claim your DVD's in a special presentation pack with a fabulous paperback copy of Forgotten Voices of the Great War by Max Arthur worth £7.99 absolutely free' ...............

It does say after this though that: "...more details and costs will be provided later in the promotion." Not sure it will be totally free?!

............... and some more 'You can also download FREE a different first-hand account of the war every day during the promotion. Painstakingly compiled from hundreds of face to face interviews, these touching reminiscences bring the history of the Great War vividly to life. Simply visit www.dailymail.co.uk/great war for details and a step-by-step beginners guide on how to download.'

Computer says Page does not exist or is no longer available.