Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mechanical Transport Colours and Markings

NORTHDUK

Is this a Napier?
post-32503-1234998242.jpg

Conveying MT across the Mbaka River, German East Africa.

Alan

I copied your image to a good friend of mine who is a bit of an expert in these matters to confirm my thoughts and he sent me the following.....

A quote from the book below........... "The East African Campaign was characterised by the appalling loss of horses due to the tsetse fly, making motor transport more vital than ever. Shipments of vehicles arrived from America and Canada, mainly Ford and Hupmobile cars plus Packard and Autocar trucks."

AND THAT SIR; came from Page 119 of "Early Motoring in South Africa" - a pictorial history - by

R. H. JOHNSTON. Published 1971. The section was titled: "Cars in khaki."

Your image believed to be a Hupmobile....Regards

• 1 year later...

This is a subject that was touched over before, but what colour should this club marking be:

Club.jpg

I understand that it indicates the lorry is carrying forage or food?

Thanks

Tim

• 1 month later...

Tim the club should be green & indicates stores associated with fuel, forage, fuel & light. The earliest indication I can find of an agreed stores marking system was 57/Hong Kong/720 Distinctive marks for packages for the Expeditionary Force in China. 18th October 1859 at that stage the green club signified Commissiriat Stores.

A new set of markings for service of an Army in the field were laid down 57/Montreal/541 Circular, No. 732. Marking of General Stores for Service of an Army in the Field. 21st December 1861

• 6 months later...

[AND THAT SIR; came from Page 119 of "Early Motoring in South Africa" - a pictorial history - by

R. H. JOHNSTON. Published 1971. The section was titled: "Cars in khaki."]

NO IT DID NOT;

It came from my copy of "The History of the great European war, by Stanley MacBean Knight, Vol VIII

Facing page 148. Hanselled Ref number 013556.

Published 1914-19, a bit before 1971.

Alan

• 4 years later...

I would like to add another occasionally seen marking to this thread which is the outline of an artillery shell, painted on either side of the cab and possibly on the rear tailboard as well. This is either shown as a plain white outline or sometimes with coloured bands within the shell. The sign denotes that the vehicle is carrying ammunition.

Tomo

• 3 years later...
On 02/08/2008 at 14:40, Tyneside Chinaman said:

Hi

A really interesting thread - My father was in the RASC in WWII and I used the vehicle marking of a jockey similar to the tetleys sign to trace his unit, so I regard this as an important area of research for those interested in the ASC.

So here are my contributions

1 260 Company had a 'thumbs up' sign as sent by M2/121312 Arnott Bolam to his sister on this card, in which he describes his lorry marked x and the sign.

post-27843-1217684420.jpg

post-27843-1217684435.jpg

260 Coy has a record as well as a diary in XIII Corps

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 16.51.44.png

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 16.52.11.png

Edited by stiletto_33853

good evening,

I would like know if it's possible to find about the Mechanical Transport Colours and Markings for the :

59th Coy - Army Service Corps - Mech. Trans - 1st Divisional Ammunition Column ( 1915 - 1916)

thank's in advance for your help.

regards

michel

In addition to what Stiletto has posted regarding 59 (MT) Coy ASC, Michael Young's book (p261) describes the marking as:

"White spot on blue triangle flag with white edges, on black mast."

good moring,

thank's a lot for your answer.

I'm looking for the war diary of this unit because I found an identity disc of a soldier of this unit found in loos.

315481712_DSC_0006-Copie.JPG.b0bd22112fc8ac77164e551d7be3b2f5.JPG1513070296_clarkegoodwin-pte-2547-asc-medalcarte.jpg.54b6172e689e3012e4ca67a2efc8b4eb.jpg

thank's for your answer.

regards

michel

Michel,

Quite a good size diary from August 1914 to July 1919, even the record of the unit is 48 pages long.

Andy