Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mechanical Transport Colours and Markings

NORTHDUK

Tim,

Many thanks for the information. I do not have a definitive location but I should be able to narrow it down. I will need to compare the chronological sequence in which the photos appear with the letters that go with them. This is part of a rather ambitious project I am working on. If I narrow anything down I will let you know.

Thanks again,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Tim , can you have a guess at what type of Lorry these may be ? sorry but I dont have a closer pic "MO"

HQsectionADAPromsey.jpg

The first one (on the left) is an early Peerless with the Brass Radiator. Really cannot see enough of the others, but they do not look to be Peerless. Really need a bigger picture!

Thanks for that MINESWEEPER , didnt know you were a truck buff too :D . Does this help any ? "MO"

truckcrop.jpg

Yes it does - they are all Peerless'

As a general rule of thumb, it seems that if you see a line of trucks, they are nearly always the same type. Made life easier I suppose for maintaining them and with keeping a supply of spares.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this ol Gal at the Basingstoke festival of transport today. Although she is painted in military colours she was not made till 1919 and therefore did not see service. That wouldn't bother me though cause I,d still like her on my driveway :lol: "MO"

thorney2.jpgthorney1.jpg

Excellent. I knew of this one, but had not seen a good picture of it. I understand that it was put into a WD colour scheme for a tv drama, but do not know which one. With the grey wheels and body it looks like it is creeping back to a civilian appearance once again. Nice to see a picture of it. Thanks.

Tim (too)

Hello Tim, like a fool I never took a clear photo of the accompanying sign. I think it said that the truck was painted for the Forsyth saga in 1976. Although it looks like its reverting to its original civilian form , are the wheels not military pattern ? "MO"

thorney3.jpgthorney4.jpg

thorney4.jpg

Notice the "low level radiator" on this model - the starting handle goes through the radiator unlike the the proper military "J's" where the radiator is mounted much higher and the starting handle is underneath the radiator.

The wheels are typical Thornycroft ones, used by both civilian or military. Earlier ones were spoked although photos of these in military service are not very common. Next time you see it i am sure that the cab will be grey as well.

Tim (too)

• 2 months later...

Here is a question that i am sure someone will be able to answer. I have come across a number of photos of Karrier lorries. By and large they have all carried a name across the scuttle from Dickins eg The Fat Boy, Dick Swiveller, Sergeant Buzzfuzz etc. Many of them have also carried the marking 48S on the side like this one.

Karriera.jpg

Does anybody have a suggestion as to what this indicates?

Many thanks

Tim (too)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

A really interesting thread - My father was in the RASC in WWII and I used the vehicle marking of a jockey similar to the tetleys sign to trace his unit, so I regard this as an important area of research for those interested in the ASC.

So here are my contributions

1 260 Company had a 'thumbs up' sign as sent by M2/121312 Arnott Bolam to his sister on this card, in which he describes his lorry marked x and the sign.

post-27843-1217684420.jpg

post-27843-1217684435.jpg

Number 2

As can be seen this vehicle is in use with 9th Siege battery Ammunition Column.

Two posssibilities for the Driver

M3/318235 Ernest H Oliver or M2/2023 Pte E H Oliver who was transferred to the R Warwickshire Regt as 33868.

The incription on the radiator seems to say 'Pride of Tooting'.

Number 2

As can be seen this vehicle is in use with 9th Siege battery Ammunition Column.

Two posssibilities for the Driver

M3/318235 Ernest H Oliver or M2/2023 Pte E H Oliver who was transferred to the R Warwickshire Regt as 33868.

The incription on the radiator seems to say 'Pride of Tooting'.

here's the radiator

post-27843-1217684797.jpg

post-27843-1217684895.jpg

Great photo, thanks for sharing - i've seen a 'thumbs up' painted on an Austin armoured car of 17th Battalion Tank Corps at Amiens, although I presume this was more of a personalised thing

edit - as for number 2, it appears to be an FWD model B (built in the USA and used by the British in large numbers - Great War Truck's family owns one who'll probably appear in due course)

Here are men and vehicles of 346 MT Company

the writing on the canvas appears to be a makers mark

22 X 1

The ????????? SPINNING Co

post-27843-1217685040.jpg

post-27843-1217685053.jpg

Thanks TC , very good and interesting pics "MO"

• 2 weeks later...
thorney4.jpg

Notice the "low level radiator" on this model - the starting handle goes through the radiator unlike the the proper military "J's" where the radiator is mounted much higher and the starting handle is underneath the radiator.

Experience with the Thornycroft J Type in service revealed a tendency for the chassis to flex to such an extent that it could cause the radiator to leak. To cure this problem, the radiator was lowered by altering the mountings. The bonnet was lowered at the same time and this gave the driver an improved view of the road. This could be the lower radiator position.

Gordon McLaughlin

When I started this thread in March 2007, I had a reliable computer and a reasonable amount of spare time. Since then, I have had recurring computer trouble that the manufacturer has been unable to diagnose or cure with the result that I am often without computer access for weeks at a time. In addition, I have to do a lot of work at home and don't have the spare time that I used to have. For these reasons, I haven't visited the forum for a long time.

Now that I have had a chance to catch up, I see that there are postings that I should have replied to if I had seen them. This particularly apples to postings that specifically address my original question about colours and markings. I'd like to express my sincere thanks to everyone who has posted information and to apologise sincerely for my lack of replies.

As the computer packs up without warning and takes weeks to revive, I won't be able to visit the forum as often as I'd like but I'll contribute when I can.

Gordon McLaughlin

Thanks for those TC, all very interesting. The first photo was taken behind the Bishops Palace in Wells. You can just make out the photographers name Bert Phillips. Sadly there is just not quite enough detail to identify the truck type. Very interesting to see the thumb though. I have not seen that one before.

As you know the next one is an FWD Model B. I have never seen a name written across the top tank like that. I have only come aross very small names before and usually the name of the wife or girl friend.

Interesting to see the makes name on the inside of the canvas. I will have to have a look through my collection now to see if i have any other examples.

Tim (too)

Here are men and vehicles of 346 MT Company

the writing on the canvas appears to be a makers mark

22 X 1

The ????????? SPINNING Co

The missing word is Boase. The Boase Spinning company was based in Dundee. It manufactured canvas articles like these lorrie covers amomg many others.

• 5 months later...
The missing word is Boase. The Boase Spinning company was based in Dundee. It manufactured canvas articles like these lorrie covers amomg many others.

On the same subject (but with a time lapse) here is another one:

Packard14a.jpg

This time off a snow covered Packard.

Tim (too)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I dont think that is a Napier. The rad looks all wrong. Can you do a better photo?

On the previous subject of painted canvas's i found this cracking photo:

Canvas.jpg

The name is painted on the top as well. I first thought that it was just a commercial tarp, but then noticed the letters WD at the top as well (not visible in this scan). I have not seen one with the name so prominent. I wonder if they put it on the lorry upside down by mistake.

Tim (too)

• 1 month later...
Tim , can you have a guess at what type of Lorry these may be ? sorry but I dont have a closer pic "MO"

HQsectionADAPromsey.jpg

Tripped over your interesting image whilst browsing for other info. Currently in the final stages of completing a publication on AIF MT in WW1 and I believe your image is of the HQ Section, 8th Company AASC (Australian Divisional Ammunition Park), later the 301st

Company to fit with the British numbering scheme. As the truck bonnets still have their Bulford numbering scheme the photo was taken just before the Unit embarked for France or just after it arrived. The Bulford number was short lived being soon replaced with the standard European census number. The dungarees and uniforms are also Australian and whilst the image is not clear some or all of the caps would be leather which were peculiar to the AASC, MT and the later AIF Railway staff. Bit of a rarity I would add and I recently arranged for an example to be preserved at the AWM.