Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th{Fife} Bn. Royal Highlanders

gnr.ktrha

Fascinating photo on the previous page - what is the bonnet badge the chap in the foreground is wearing - it looks circular?

Alan

Hi Allen if you have a look at my avitar and signature at the bottom here that should answer your question.

Cheers

Ian

Here is another BW picture, not sure what Battalion he is but his tunic does not look correct to me for wearing the kilt and I also notice that he is not wearing a sporron.

post-7352-1176584750.jpg

MacT,

Great picture, boots dirty & jacket creased, possibly this picture has been taken after training or in France? The jacket not having a cutaway is not a problem; it is likely to be a replacement. I don't know how many regimental tailors the Territorial Force and Service Battalions had, but if a battalion came out of the line all needing replacement jackets for whatever reason (gas, dhobi, beyond repair etc.) then this would be most likely what you would receive, as it would take a while for all the jackets to get through the tailors, especially if you were the only Highland Regiment in a Division full of English Line, and Rifle Regiments.

An interesting point is that the 1st Cameronians (quite rightly) complained about receiving jackets with a cutaway whilst in the 33rd Division; they never should have had a cutaway in the first place. That aside, it would have been easier for the tailors of the Highland Division to be pooled, and cut the corners off of the received the Service Dress jackets on arrival.

Not wearing a sporran was comonplace, especailly after deployment to France. Generally, the kilt apron would be worn in the trenches. I don't think the full dress items went to France and instead were sent to the depot, most never to come back out - with the exception of certain items for pipers and drummers.

Here is a picture of a draft from the 3rd line of the 4th Black Watch (TF), in the UK, without sporrans

Hope this helps

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1176622345.jpg

:) Given the conditions of the trenches, it is highly unlikely that any Officer or Senior rank would wear their sporran in the trenches, for the simple reason, it was a valuable item of their dress uniform.

Even in those far off times, the Senior NCOs bought their own sporrans. Privates were issued with them. Nevertheless, if the latter lost or damaged their sporran, they would then have to pay for them.

Doubtless, the Private soldier followed the example of their seniors.

Hi Tom,

What is the date of the group photo 'Getting Ready For Another Draft' ? Is it possible that some of these men ended up in the 7th TF Bn.?

Regards,

David

p7 10th

The Battalion remained all day in bivouac, and

casualty lists were prepared. The details of these lists

were:-

officers

wounded 8 vizt:-

Lieut. R.F.D. BRUCE

2/Lieut. Hon. J. BOWES LYON (accidental)

2/Lieut. H.S. QUEKETT

2/Lieut. R.M. RITCHIE

Lieut. A.D. DICKIE

Capt. T. AUBERTIN

Lieut. H.R. McCABE

Lieut. A.W. DUKE

Other ranks

Killed 22

Wounded 108

Missing 8, of whom 2 reported later in the morning.

For the Royalists this Officer was the Late Queen Mother's brother who was killed later in the war. Bowes Lyon was her maiden name. It does make you wonder what was 'accidental'

Alan

Alan,

Sorry to correct you. The Queen Mother's Brother who was killed was:

Hon Fergus Bowes-Lyon. He was killed with the 8th Black Watch whilst counter-attacking the Hohenzollern Redoubt at Loos, Sep 1915. There is a dramatic paintaing of this at the BW museum at Balhousie. His body was never recovered and his name is etched onto the wall at Dud Corner.

2 brothers were wounded

1 brother was missing, Michael, who I think may have been Scots Guards; he was subsequently found to be a Prisoner of War.

Her cousin Claude (CLC Bowes-Lyon), was with the 3rd BW, and called to 1st BW, fought and was injured at the Aisne, and was killed at 23/10/1914 at the First Ypres.

- Hon J H Bowes-Lyon is first injured at Aubers Ridge with the 5th BW on 9th May 1915.

- G F Bowes-Lyon is evacuated sick with the 5th BW, on 15 Dec 1914, he is then wounded with the 4/5th BW during their attack on the Schwaben Redoubt.

Hope this helps

Aye

Tom McC

PS - Out of interest, H S QUEKETT was originally with the 5th BW, and was injured at Aubers Ridge, 09 May 1915

• 12 years later...

Does anyone know if there was a CSM John McKenzie in the 7th RH. The reason for asking is that I have had a large period framed photo of a Royal Highlanders CSM ,written into the bottom Left of the Photo is John McKenzie. On the bottom Right is Gordons Studio Cupar Fife. The person in the photo is not wearing any medal ribbons, sorry for poor photo .

30EE4C73-FEC0-40C7-9AAD-1DF440435E53.jpeg

Edited by nemesis