Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS River Clyde

oak

I'd be very grateful if anyone could supply/confirm, with source details, information on the miscellaneous groupings who were on the SS River Clyde on 25 April. Apart from Royal Munster Fusiliers, Hampshire Regiment, Royal Dublin Fusiliers and the Armoured Car Section of the Royal Naval Air Service (what a colourful group!), I have been told that the Royal Munster Fusiliers official history names the West Riding Field Engineers, two sub-division Field Ambulance, one platoon "Anson" Battalion, Royal Naval Division and one signal section.

Regards,

Philip

Philip,

1 RMF

2 Hants (less 2 Cos)

1 Coy., 1 RDF

1 Pltn., Anson Bn.,

GHQ Sig Sec

W.R. Fd. Coy. R.E.

3 Br. Subdivs

This is how the diagram in the British OH shows those landing from the ‘River Clyde’

However if one turns to p41 of the Rudges’ ‘Helles Landing - Gallipoli’ in the Battleground Europe series, they have a photograph of the original document and the last two units seem to be

W. Riding Fld Co. RE (less 1 Sec)

3 B(undecipherable) Sub(also undecipherable) 89th Fd Ambul.

I stress that this is regarding those actually landing

The Maxims of the RNAS were providing covering fire from the ‘River Clyde’

And not part of the landing force at that stage

I hope that this helps

Regards

Michael D.R.

Dear Philip,

This time correct

Taken from http://www.worldwar1.com/sfclyde.htm

The disposition of troops on board was as follows:

No. 1 Hold (upper deck).

'X', 'Y' and 'Z' companies, Royal Munster Fusiliers.

No. 1 Hold (lower deck).

'W' company, Royal Munster Fusiliers.

One company Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

No. 2 Hold.

Two companies Hampshire Regiment.

One company West Riding Field Engineers.

No,s. 3 and 4 Holds.

Two sub-divisions Field Ambulance.

One platoon 'Anson' Battalion Royal Naval Division.

One signal section.

Go there also for further reading

cheers

eric

Many thanks Michael and Eric. (I am awaiting a copy of the Rudges "Helles Landing" at my local bookshop.)

Regards,

Philip

• 1 year later...

I would be most interested in building up a database of men who landed from the Clyde at V beach. All contributions most welcome.

Ken

Hi Ken !

Is this what you want ... or are you looking for lists ??

JARRETT

Charles Harry Brownlow

Major 1st Battalion, The Royal Munster Fusiliers. 29th Division. Killed in action on ‘V’ beach during the Gallipoli Landings 25. 4.15. age 40. Son of Colonel H.S.Jarrett (CTE) and Mrs. Agnes Jarrett of South Lodge, East Grinstead. Buried Lancashire Landing Cemetery, Gallipoli.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Sussex/EastGrinstead.html

Medal card of Jarrett, Charles Harry Brownlow

Royal Munster Fusiliers

Major

Munster Fusiliers

Major

Date

1914-1920

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01df/

In Memory of

Major CHARLES HARRY BROWNLOW JARRETT

1st Bn., Royal Munster Fusiliers

who died age 40

on 25 April 1915

Son of Col. H. S. Jarrett, C.I.E., and Mrs. Jarrett.

Remembered with honour

LANCASHIRE LANDING CEMETERY

Yes indeed Annie,

All information identifying the men who landed from the Clyde, wheter it be lists or details, is much appreciated.

Regards,

Ken

Have you read Les Carlyson's Gallipoli yet?

Plenty of info in this book regarding v beach and the Clyde.

Jarvis

Hi Ken,

This may be way off, but from a document on Hellfire Corner, there is a letter from John Guy Gilbert, 6 East Lancashire Regiment, and I quote:

"we went ashore at V beach via the River Clyde but there was little evidence of the terrible struggle there had been around her on April 25. That was on June 28 and as I didn't keep a diary the sequence of events for the next month until August 2nd when I was taken off in another collier to a hospital ship is not very clear".

This caught my eye as my father in law was with the 6 East Lancs'

Are you looking for the people involved with the April 25 action?

Cheers

Shirley

Thanks for the interest Shirley. My intention was to focus on the initial assault of April 25th. and the men who took part in it. Information is always wecome. Jarvis, ashamed to say I have'nt read it but will make a point of it.

Regards,

Ken

In Memory of

Chaplain 4th Class The Rev. WILLIAM JOSEPH FINN

Army Chaplains' Department

who died

on 25 April 1915

Remembered with honour

V BEACH CEMETERY

He is believed to be the first Chaplain to fall in WW1

The Reverend W N Finn, Chaplain to the Forces (4th Class) who was killed on 25 April 1915 Joint Grave F. 4.

Medal card of Finn, W

Army Chaplain's Department

Reverend

Army Chaplain's Department

Temporary Chaplain 4th Class

Date

1914-1920

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01dg/

Les Carlyon's book on page 199 says

"Two thousand men would be on the River Clyde: all the Munsters, the two companies of Hampshires, one company of Dubliners, a few RND troops, including Sub-Lieutenant Arthur Tisdall, and two members of Hamilton's staff, Williams, and Lt. Col. "Dick" Doughty-Wylie"

In 2005 Chris and I went round about 4 CWG Cemetaries at Helles, including Doughty-Wylie, the Anzac Beaches and then another 4 at Suvla.

This is a huge task you have undertaken - good on you!

There are other individual names mentioned, if this is helpful.

Cheers

Shirley

Hi,

The courage of the men landing from the River Clyde (and the Dublins simultaneous landing from tows) at V Beach has rightly been much praised over the last 92 years. But even more worthy of record would be the names of the 60 - 100 Turks that held back for a whole day a force that outnumbered them by more than 20 to 1. ALthough the expedition was doomed to failure their stout resistance certainly underlined the Turkish determination to resist every step of the way. Some of the Turkish experts claim they didn't even have machine guns on V Beach, but I think that they probably had two Maxims (one high on the left centre, one in the fort?) and possibly a pom-pom had survived the attentions of the Royal Navy. It was a W Beach where it seems certain that the Turks had no machine guns. But rapid aimed rifle fire, from above, onto a concentrated target would be too deadly for any of us to contemplate facing I'm sure...

Pete

Hi Pete !

Has anybody done that - do you know ??

Everybody ( the politicians and the military men ) rather took the Turks for granted - assuming they would be a "pushover " .....

but the Turks would not stand down .... they were defending their country !

Annie

Everybody ( the politicians and the military men ) rather took the Turks for granted - assuming they would be a "pushover " .....

I think Churchill (First Lord of the Admiralty) had sent a couple of gun-boats to pound the Dardanelles forts about 6 months earlier and there had been little or no return of fire from the Turks. I understand this led to the expectation that the Turks would simply run away.

Reagrds,

Jon S

Has anybody done that - do you know ??

Annie

I don't think they have named them and there is some confusion as to how many there actually were hence my 60-100 vagueness! I must ask Tolga Ornek - he did a mass of research for the Gallipoli film not yet released here.

Pete

Hi,

The courage of the men landing from the River Clyde (and the Dublins simultaneous landing from tows) at V Beach has rightly been much praised over the last 92 years. But even more worthy of record would be the names of the 60 - 100 Turks that held back for a whole day a force that outnumbered them by more than 20 to 1. ALthough the expedition was doomed to failure their stout resistance certainly underlined the Turkish determination to resist every step of the way. Some of the Turkish experts claim they didn't even have machine guns on V Beach, but I think that they probably had two Maxims (one high on the left centre, one in the fort?) and possibly a pom-pom had survived the attentions of the Royal Navy. It was a W Beach where it seems certain that the Turks had no machine guns. But rapid aimed rifle fire, from above, onto a concentrated target would be too deadly for any of us to contemplate facing I'm sure...

Pete

Good to hear an objective view from this campaign. I have thought about the Turkisk side of things, but shamed to say, never researched, or read too much into it. There were many sides in this war and all were men, like you or I, doing what they had to do. I have been too enrapt in the bravado and shortcomings of the Landings to think of the 'recieving' end of things. Well put Pete.

Jarvis

Hi Annie and friends,

Sincere thanks for the contributions. At this point in time I would like to put names to the Clyde lads, after which their stories can be told.

All additions are most welcome,

Ken

Les Carlyon's book on page 199 says

"Two thousand men would be on the River Clyde: all the Munsters, the two companies of Hampshires, one company of Dubliners, a few RND troops, including Sub-Lieutenant Arthur Tisdall, and two members of Hamilton's staff, Williams, and Lt. Col. "Dick" Doughty-Wylie"

In 2005 Chris and I went round about 4 CWG Cemetaries at Helles, including Doughty-Wylie, the Anzac Beaches and then another 4 at Suvla.

This is a huge task you have undertaken - good on you!

There are other individual names mentioned, if this is helpful.

Cheers

Shirley

Shirley,

Give me all you got.

It seemed a straight foreward task when I first thought of it, but I guess this is going to be a long labour of love. No doubt I'll get by with a litle help from my friends!

Ken

Oh Ken .................... !!

Look what I found Googling ? ....... it was a reply from Steve Morse on another Forum a few years ago ......

The River Clyde was beached at 'V' Beach and amongst the Battalions were 1st Bn Royal Munsters, 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers and 2nd Hampshires - all part of 29th Division - the last Regular Div to be sent in to a theatre of war.

The River Clyde had - 4 companies of Munsters, 2 of Hampshires and one of 1st Dublins.

A quarter of the Divisions strength (13,000 men ) where casualties after the landing on 25th April.

Don't want to put you off or anything !! ;););)

And this too ..... something I didn't know ......

It is a little known fact that numerous Ceylon volunteers fought in some of the bloodiest battles and campaigns of the First World War. For instance, on the Gallipoli Peninsula at Cape Helles on April 25, 1915, a Ceylon volunteer in the Royal Munster Fusiliers recalled the extremely bloody 'V' beach landing: "This was pure slaughter, but on they came, boat after boat and down the gangways went the troops on the 'Clyde' led by their valiant officers, all to meet the same fate. It was an inspiring although ghastly sight, never to be forgotten, to see the magnificent Dublins and Munsters force the landing on that small formidable stretch of beach, dominated at point blank range by the enfilading Turkish fire. ...where was the glory of war? Men who had spent their lifetime training as soldiers piteously mowed down as they stormed that beach mostly without exchanging a shot."

Annie,

Those links were very moving - have forwarded to husband Chris to add to his Gallipoli stuff he presents to his social studies class - the boys will think he is "way cool" when they research utube in class. Thank you

Ken,

A few more names from the book:

Sub Lt Arthur Tisdall

Lt Col Weir de Lancy Williams

Commander Unwin

Able seaman William Williams

Captain Henderson's company

Captain Geddes' company

Commander Josiah Wedgwood ic machine guns on Clyde

Cheers

Shirley