Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS River Clyde

oak

Hello Ken, old thread I know but did you ever finish/complete/continue with your database on who was on the River Clyde? My reason for asking is that I'm looking to substantiate that Richard Hampson Cheeseman 1 RMF took part in the landings on V beach (see a separate thread for the why's and wherefores)

Regards

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone. Dont know if chat still available. I have just found out my great grandfather was on this ship. Found this forum through search of ss Clyde. Many thanks. Julie 

Hi Robert,

Thank you for reply. The document I found (discharge letter from August 15) is very confusing. It firstly says 5th battalion to 2nd reserve then 3rd battalion. I also have a photo of him on a certain geo site with his uniform on but still trying to work out how to save to iPad. Many thanks. Julie.

Julie,

Those on board the River Clyde on 25th April 1915 were:

1st Royal Munster Fusiliers

2nd Hampshire Regiment (less 2 companies)

1 Company of 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers

1 Platoon, Anson Battalion, RND

GHQ Signal Section

West Riding Field Company, Royal Engineers

3 Bearer Sub Divisions from B1, B2 & B3 (this must refer to RAMC men taken from transports or Hospital Ships with those three IDs)

Was your great-grandfather with one of these units?

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply also. As I said to Robert, its all confusing for me so please forgive my non knowledge of war units etc. From this document it also says “ 23/8/15 detached from anson bnttn to stavros while serving with MF.F” Hope this helps. Again I do apologise but just trying to find out more. Many thanks. Julie

It sounds as though he was serving in Anson Battalion of the Royal Naval Division. If so, he should be easy to find. What was the name of your GGF, Julie?

This is your GGF. Clyde Division RNVR.  He was not on the RIVER CLYDE because he did not join Anson Battalion until March 1916, after the withdrawal from Gallipoli.

He went on to serve with Anson Battalion in France with the BEF but had several bouts of illness - all described on the above record. He earned the British War Medal and Victory Medal, which he claimed after the war. If you have any questions on the record cards, post here.