Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS River Clyde

oak

I don't think they have named them and there is some confusion as to how many there actually were hence my 60-100 vagueness! I must ask Tolga Ornek - he did a mass of research for the Gallipoli film not yet released here.

Pete

This DVD is in the library at the school, and it is quite stunning - I also saw Tolga Ornek on Andrew Denton's show I think it was, and it does help us try to get heads and hearts around the many perspectives of such carnage

Cheers

Shirley

see

where the units involved on the 25th April 1915 are listed

It should be possible to get further information from the regimental associations of the units involved

For example;

The RMFA can be contacted here http://www.rmfa92.org/Contact.htm

The RDFA can be contacted here http://www.tcd.ie/General/Fusiliers/DUBFUS...ML/emal_top.htm

regards

Michael

Regarding the list of units involved;

Please note my remark in post #2 in the above link

"I stress that this is regarding those actually landing

The Maxims of the RNAS were providing covering fire from the ‘River Clyde’

And not part of the landing force at that stage"

This also applies to Father Finn who did not land from the 'River Clyde' but was in one of the tows which put off from a Fleet Sweeper [FS No.1 per the OH]

regards

Michael

Well guys, I sincerely hope I can do your efforts justice. I'm somewhat surprised that so far, nothing has been heard from a decendent of any man or boy who sailed in on the Clyde that slaughterous day.

I need all the help I can get,

Ken

To your info,

Turkish defenders of V Beach (Ertuğrul Koyu)

26th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Battalion, 10th Company

It was an under strength rifle company without machine gun sections -usually Turkish rifle coys got machine guns from regiment or division machine gun coys.

The original Coy OC Lt. Abdurrahman was killed during the initial stage of the defense and Sgt. Ezineli Yahya took command and led the Coy whole day. The Coy literally annihilated.

Today there is a monument (Yahya Çavuşu Anıtı) dedicated for the gallant defenders over looking the beach

Well guys, I sincerely hope I can do your efforts justice. I'm somewhat surprised that so far, nothing has been heard from a decendent of any man or boy who sailed in on the Clyde that slaughterous day.

I need all the help I can get,

Ken

Ken,

I do not wish to dampen your enthusiasm but the task you have selected is going to be frustrating and difficult. I just wish to point out a few pitfalls for you.

I am now speaking only of the 1st battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers (I am the son of one who landed).

To identify the Munster's that were actually on the River Clyde on the 25 April 1915 you need an embarkation roll and I am not sure if any exist now. If you work say from the CWGC database and identify men who died of wounds or were killed in action on Gallipoli, then some of those men would have been draft replacements and would have shipped out by other transports. So you would have to be selective in that case.

As an example for two days after the landing, the Munster's were engaged in fighting, they were relieved by the French on 27 April 1915, by that time about 600 non-commissioned officers and men had been killed in action or had died of wounds. The Dublin's suffered heavy casualties as well, in fact the Munster's and the Dublins' were amalgamated on the 29th April and named the Dubster's. They so remained until May 19th. Then in June drafts were received for the Munster's and numbers build up again. I assume the same happened for the Dublin's.

In the case of the Munster's, it would be possible to start your list by identifying those who died between the 25th April and before June 17th 1915. We can assume they landed from the River Clyde, but to identify the remainder I see an embarkation roll as the necessary research tool.

Sullivan.

• 5 months later...
I would be most interested in building up a database of men who landed from the Clyde at V beach. All contributions most welcome.

Dont forget the 1/5 Royal Scots fusiliers, ALL OF THEM.

Ken

• 1 month later...

The caretaker at my school says that his grandfather, Benjamin Blackham, born in Darlaston, Staffs, but later moved to Wales, was one of nine RWF men on the River Clyde during that fateful landing.

Would anyone know how they got there?

Regards,

Trebrys.

• 1 month later...

Trebrys,

Staff Officer Doughty-Wyllie (who was awarded a posthumous VC) was a member of the Royal Welch Fusiliers. I have come across an account that says his orderly was killed with him. It seems reasonable to assume that the orderly must also have been RWF. A friend who is retired from the RWF has so far been unsuccessful in attempts to identify the orderly.

It would be great if any Pal with access to the official RWF history or contact with the regiment could enlighten us on the name of the orderly and/or give information on the other RWF men on the "River Clyde."

Regards,

Philip

• 11 months later...

I have just come across this thread. If you are still interested, my great uncle landed at Gallipoli on the River Clyde, survived, and was killed in France 30 September 1918.

His details are:

Private Joseph Grimes, 4464 1stBN Royal Munster Fusiliers. Born Limerick 1895.

MarieE

• 3 weeks later...
I would be most interested in building up a database of men who landed from the Clyde at V beach. All contributions most welcome.

Ken

Ken

A few from the 2nd Hampshire Regiment.

Lieut Colonel H Carrington, Major Beckwith, Captain Reid, Captain Addison, Corporal C Waterman and Privates E Carrell and Veal.

I have copies of letters from the local paper from these men.

Regards

Mike

I do not wish to dampen your enthusiasm but the task you have selected is going to be frustrating and difficult. I just wish to point out a few pitfalls for you.

Ken,

In the case of 2nd Hants I fear that the the task is an impossible one. The headquarters, Y and Z Companies were on board the River Clyde at V Beach with W and X Companies landing at W Beach. In the absence of an embarkation roll for the Battalion, other than a few named individuals mentioned in various sources, I don't see how you can identify definitively who was on the River Clyde at V Beach. I know for a fact that the Regimental Museum doesn't have anything in their archive that will help.

Marc

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mike,

I would be most grateful for any contribution.

And to all other friends, sincere thanks.

This is a labour of love much longer than anticipated.

Ken

• 7 months later...

Ken

Try 1914 1915 Star Medal Rolls for relevant units - (Munsters Dublins Hampshires, etc) eg for 1RMF, it is all those dated 25th April 1915 in the rolls

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the advice, I just didn't know what I was letting myself in for when I set out on this task.

Kind regards,

Ken

Try 1914 1915 Star Medal Rolls for relevant units - (Munsters Dublins Hampshires, etc) eg for 1RMF, it is all those dated 25th April 1915 in the rolls

• 6 months later...
Many thanks for the advice, I just didn't know what I was letting myself in for when I set out on this task.

Kind regards,

Ken

Hi Ken,

How is your project going? I haven't been on this forum for some time but a search I did popped up this thread. My great granduncle Andrew Condon (Pte. No. 9512) from Cork City would have landed from the River Clyde. He was just 17 when he joined up, lying about his age. Sadfully I have no personal details for him apart from medal roll (listed as Concon - transcribe error) and CWG entry. The family were aware he died from an explosion on 1/5/1915 where he was decapitated. From my own research it was either the bombardment that preceded the Turkish night attack on 1st May/2nd May or else it was from a trench grenade. He would have been on the Eski line at the time as part of the Dubsters (86th) but I have not managed to get to Galipolli yet so I haven't been able to pin point the exact location. I believe they were on the left of a prominent nullah so I might be able to identify the spot. Hopefully I'll get there soon and get to see the inscription on the Helles Memorial (Panel 185-190).

I also have copies of the war diaries 376/377 and 378 which give the descriptions of the landings. Bad stuff reading about the Dublin lads being towed in on the open boats and being massacred.

Incidently there are a trio of medals on ebay from a Pte. John Fitzgerald 9846 on ebay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW1-MEDAL-TRIO-CASUA...=item414e3ff95b (by the way I'm not selling them or have no connection/ knowledge of the seller). But as this lad died the same day as Andrew, possibly very near him, he was probably on the Clyde aswell.

Must make a better effort to stay up to date with this forum.

Best regards,

Tim.

Ken,

Extract from my book No Time To Spare (A history of Summer Fields School War Dead)

Captain George Malcolm Dunlop (771) of the 1st Battalion Royal Dublin

Fusiliers had lost his older brother in August 1914, fighting with the 2nd Battalion at

Le Cateau. Born in 1889 George had come to Summer Fields in January 1900 and gone

on to Cheltenham in 1904. In 1907 he attended the R.M.C. and gained a commission

into the RDF. At the outbreak of war he was stationed in Madras, India, but was rapidly

recalled and arrived back to Plymouth on December 21st 1914. They were then attached

to the 86th Brigade, 29th Division and sent to Egypt (on March 16th 1915), which was

the holding and training camp for the Gallipoli Campaign. They were only there a short

time before being sent to Mudros on the Greek Island of Lemnos, which was to be the

stepping off point for the attacks. Most of these soldiers had not seen any action yet. In

fact many of them had spent most of the war at sea, travelling from the subcontinent

and antipodes to England, then back out to the Mediterranean. The Dubliners were

involved in the landings at what was codenamed ‘V’ Beach where a variety of

amphibious transport was used. The Dubliners were sent ashore from HMS Clyde in

small open boats but the Turks were ready for them and they suffered murderous fire

both in their approach and when they got ashore.

It was here that Captain Dunlop died aged 26. He was the battalion’s machine gun

officer and the Battalion’s History, Blue Caps records the events form when they

landed;

They were met by a perfect tornado of fire. The machine-gun detachment worked

desperately to get their guns ashore but they were nearly all killed or wounded; both

the officers, Captain Dunlop and Lieutenant Corbet, were killed.

His body is buried in ‘V’ Beach Cemetery, but it is not known which grave his is so

he is commemorated on a special memorial there. Thus John Dunlop had died in

France in his first action and George had died in Turkey in his first.

Hope this is of some use to you!

Chris

• 4 months later...

Thanks for that Chris.

Making some progress albeit snail-like.

Ken

Hello Ken:

Since only one company of the 1RDF was on the River Clyde it might be helpful if you could find out whidh company that was. My uncle CSM Patrick Delaney 9364, DCM, MM was in "W" company. His medal card shows first entry into Balkin theater was

25-4-1915..

Our fellow GWF member museumtom was kind enough to find this information for me.

DELANEY, PATRICK. Rank: Company Sergeant Major. Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Unit: 1st Battalion. Date of Death: 28-September-1918. Service No: 9364 Awards: D C M and the Military Medal and he is listed in the London Gazette. Born in Kilkenny. Enlisted in Carlow while living in Kilkenny. Died of wounds. Supplementary information: Son of Michael Delaney, of Collier's Lane, Kilkenny.

Kilkenny Journal, October, 1915.

Kilkenny’s “Roll of Honour.”

Private Patrick Delaney, 1st Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who has been wounded in action, is now in a convalescent home in Lancashire, having had his arm amputated. With a letter to his father, Mr Michael Delaney, Colliers Lane, Kilkenny, he enclosed a photo of the heroic chaplain, Father Finn, and the place where he was buried, with six hundred of the “Dublins.” Private Delaney refers in the highest terms to the bravery of Father Finn. “He was a father to the lot of us,” he states, “We had many a chat with him about old Ireland and Home Rule. He was the bravest of the brave. He died looking after the dying and wounded. He was a great man and a worthy son of gallant Tipperary. I would like to hear from Christie. Please God, he is all right.” His brother, Private Christie Delaney, 4th Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment, about whom he inquires, was killed in action at the battle of Hooge, Ypres, on the 15th May last.

Grave or Memorial Reference: III. C. 21. Cemetery: Haringhe ( Bandaghem ) Military Cemetery in Belgium.

I do not knw if uncle Patrick. Delaney was on The River Clyde, or in the tows.

QUOTE (Ken Devitt @ Mar 24 2007, 11:20 PM) I would be most interested in building up a database of men who landed from the Clyde at V beach. All contributions most welcome.

Dont forget the 1/5 Royal Scots fusiliers, ALL OF THEM.

Ken

Did the1/5th Royal Scots land from the "River Clyde" ? I thought they were not involved in the initial assault. Also was it not the Royal Scots rather than the fusiliers.

Glen

Quote: Since only one company of the 1RDF was on the River Clyde it might be helpful if you could find out which company that was.

Per Westlake's 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' it was the RDF's 'W' Company which was in the River Clyde

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Quote: Did the1/5th Royal Scots land from the "River Clyde" ? I thought they were not involved in the initial assault. Also was it not the Royal Scots rather than the fusiliers.

Also per Westlake the 1/5th Battalion (Queen's Edinburgh Rifles) (TF) "Two companies sailed for Gallipoli 3.30 pm (25th). Landed V Beach Helles 12.30 pm without casualties. Moved forward to support trenches. Two remaining companies landed and provided working parties on beach."

They were not part of the original dawn 'landing from the River Clyde' which as far as I know, carried to V Beach the following units;

1st RMF,

2nd Hants (less 2 companies)

One company 1st RDF

One platoon Anson Battalion, RND

GHQ Signal Section

West Riding Field Company RE (less one [sorry, can't read next word])

3(rd?) Bearer Sub-div 80th Field Ambulance

regards

Michael

• 7 months later...

Hello Ken,

Are you still progressing with this project? I ask as I have been reading a book listed at Gutenburg written from a diary kept by a Lieutenant George Davidson RAMC 89th Field Ambulance. He landed from the River Clyde and mentions several names in the diary. He also gives a list of the other units on board, although I do not know how accurate it is as it differs slightly from the list in the comment above. If you are still interested, let me know & I can give you what info is in the book.

Elizabeth

• 3 months later...

Here are a couple of views of the 'River Clyde' which I had not come across before.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/photograph/C02178

and

http://cas.awm.gov.au/photograph/C02167

The rarity of the photographs is only surpassed by that of the AWM's captions:

"After taking part in the landing at Anzac Cove, the River Clyde was run aground at Cape Helles…"

The AWM's collections are a great resource and they cannot be praised too highly for making them so readily available to the world at large. However, their captions do need a little editing & refining: after 96 years, it's still not too late to get things correct

O dear, simply a dreadful caption and probably taken from one originally with the photos and just copied across without thought. With most of, if not all, these organisations, they are lacking expertise and probably time to review every image. The staff doing the scanning and editing on these sites are left to a high degree to themselves without any historian checking their work. It maybe worth pinging them a line, as I have found most of the other captions are spot on.

A great photo nevertheless.