Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jellicoe or Beatty?

Jonathan Saunders

Jellicoe was like Ray Spruance while Beatty was like Bill Halsey. I came away with a new appreciation for Jellicoe after reading Castles of Steel.

Personally, I think you short change Halsey ... who, though he almost bungled the Leyete (sp) Gulf, was no "flashy" guy making many mistakes ...

Personally, I think you short change Halsey ... who, though he almost bungled the Leyete (sp) Gulf, was no "flashy" guy making many mistakes ...

Hi Andy , how are you? Halsey got a bit of a slating in a TV programme here.

Letye Gulf is one example. I was also thinking of the time when he sent his ships through a typhoon. Didn't that happen twice? Halsey liked posting signs that said, "Kill Japs, kill Japs, kill more Japs". I think that's pretty flashy. Both Halsey and Beatty were darlings of the media; they had the aggressive killer instinct personalities whereas Spruance and Jellicoe were more cautious and contemplative. Just my opinion of course.

Hi Andy , how are you? Halsey got a bit of a slating in a TV programme here.

Hey, doing fine. Perhaps Halsey was more of a media darling than I thought ... I'll have to look back and re-assess ...

Hey, doing fine. Perhaps Halsey was more of a media darling than I thought ... I'll have to look back and re-assess ...

The TV programme, Battleplan, blamed him for running after a decoy force and leaving the other U.S. force exposed to attack. I was only watching with one eye, wrong war, but that criticism came across strongly. Battle of Leyte Gulf , I think.