Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richard Henry Ham

Frajohn

The more i think about it,the more i think you are correct.It seems strange that most of Richards Comrades killed at Loos are on Dud Corner memorial,and Richard is Not.It seems a safe bet to assume,that somewhere along the line an error has occurred on the part of Graves Registations..please keep us informed of any feedback you get John,and my offer to drive us to the Somme still stands...Kind Regards..Russell.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had a really big surprise this evening. I have been working on my database for the 8th Devons and the current task is to complete where each man is buried / commemorated. I got to Richard Ham, said to myself "we know where he is don't we!" WRONG

Name: HAM, RICHARD HENRY

Initials: R H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Devonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 25/09/1915

Service No: 14526

N.B.: Please note Lance Corporal Ham is incorrectly commemorated. Arrangements are being made to add his name to the Loos Memorial.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panels 35-37

Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL

Then checked on Samuel, to find;

Name: HAM, SAMUEL

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Devonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/05/1916

Service No: 11474

N.B.: Please note Lance Corporal Ham's name also appears on Pier and Face 1C on the Thiepval Memorial,France where he was previously commemorated but will be removed when the panel is next replaced.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot V. Row E. Grave 13

Cemetery: CITADEL NEW MILITARY CEMETERY, FRICOURT

Absolutely amazed and somewhat emotional about it. It is great that these men's names will be in the right places.

I'd like to thank all of those Pals who gave both information and encouragement throughout this thread.

Kind regards

John

John

That really sums up how I felt when I first saw it.

What has really made it for me is that Samuel will be in Citadel, where we believed he should be, but I never thought that would happen. Bit sad that Richard will lose his headstone but he will be with those who he died with.

Do you think that the CWGC might advise if they had any evidence to support the theory?

Again thanks for the encouragenent

Kind regards

John

John

Now I've calmed down a bit, I agree this is a result more than we ever hoped for. I thought you might get Richard properly sorted onto Loos Memorial, but I never reckoned Samuel would get his proper recognition.

NOT FORGOTTEN.

John

Well Chaps,as i have previously stated,i am more than willing to provide Transport to the Somme Area,when the adjustments are in place,Great result,i apologise for my initial sceptisism.PBI. :D

Russ

I reckon your "doubting Thomas" was helpful. It was picking the potential holes in my argument - always a good thing.

John

Amazing thread and great outcome, although tinged with a little sadness for the descendants of Richard Ham. Presuming they have been paying their respects to him at Citadel over the years.

Do CWGC advise relatives when this type of anomaly occurs?

Cheers, Diane

Presuming they have been paying their respects to him at Citadel over the years.

If they have then, of course, we now know that they would have been actually paying respects to his brother. So it's still within the family, if you see what I mean.

John

Diane

"although tinged with a little sadness for the descendants of Richard Ham. Presuming they have been paying their respects to him at Citadel over the years."

I felt the same as you do, in fact there's a little guilt there as well. However, the outcome is better than I expected. I originally thought that the grave in Citadel Cemetery would be marked with "Known Unto God" headstone. In fact, at one point I hesitated about continuing with this as I felt that their families would not appreciate some stranger meddling with their ancestors.

I certainly will continue to pay my respects to them when visiting France.

Kind regards

John

If they have then, of course, we now know that they would have been actually paying respects to his brother. So it's still within the family, if you see what I mean.

John

Yes, chances are they would have driven the extra kms to the Thiepval Memorial as well. :)

Cheers, Diane

A big pat on the back for all who contributed to this detective story. Great team work.

I felt the same as you do, in fact there's a little guilt there as well.

It was only a matter of time John and the error was bound to have been picked up by someone. Good on you for bring this case to the attention of people who can rectify the mistake. :)

Cheers, Diane

Russ

I reckon your "doubting Thomas" was helpful. It was picking the potential holes in my argument - always a good thing.

John

Morning John,Sorry for the belated reply,just got back from Ypres.I am glad that Frajohn has finally got a result,i shall be at Citadel Mil Cem in September and will have a look and seei f the adjustments have been made... :D