Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War One Military Bands

A.A.Savery

this is the band of the 6th dorset battalion 1914 -1918 .tom

Another badly faded photo Tom! :rolleyes:

Tony

My thanks for everyone sending in these superb photos.

I am quite astonished with some of the formations and can’t help wondering how a Double-Bass or Cello player is able to march with such an instrument. Would the string players perhaps have doubled on brass instruments?

Cheers,

Tony

Certainly have difficulty marching while trying to play any of the large stringed instruments. IIRC they played brass instruments in the Military band and strings in the "orchestra". Royal Marines still do today as far as I understand.

dear pals i know its pre war but do any pals have a photo of the royal marine artillery band portsmouth that sailed with the king on the royal yacht medina in 1911 for india .my great uncle was in the band .tom

i forgot to add that he was with the 10th hussars up to about 1901 tom

And we are still waiting around to see what has happened to the 6th dorset battalion Tom.

I'm getting sleepy now though, so tomorrow will be okay. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Tony

well tony you have found me out there is no photo of the 6th dorset band something i would love to do is post a photo of the band i have been trying for some time to get a picture it may show my granddad .i also have been trying get a picture of my great uncle who was in the 10th hussars band up to about 1901 he then joined the royal marine artillery band portsmouth "the best" and sailed on the royal yacht medina in 1911 to india with king george the 5th .i have yet to see a photo of the three bands but i live in hope .all the best tom

Daphne,

Assuming the photo is already saved as a file on your computer:

click ADD REPLY

click the grey Browse button

a box called CHOOSE FILE will appear, from where you locate and select the required file from your computer

click Add this Attachment

Thanks Kate, will do! Best wishes Daphne

Finish you meesage as usual by clicking Add Reply

Grovetown

Can you interpret the chalk marks to the left of the door in the buglers' photo? I have seen similar marks made by billeting officers and sergeants to denote the unit and number of men billeted therein.

Mystery band.

Follow this link for the story so far.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=23&t=71429

Tony

post-14730-1175108179.jpg

Hi Tony

I have a couple of photos of K.S.L.I. but they are copies from Regimental Museum, so I feel I should ask them if its ok to post them on forum first.

Annette

Drums and bugles of the the 1st/1st Herefordshire Regiment, 1914; a number of these men became casualties at Gallipoli.

post-38-1175119578.jpg

Some super quality photos!

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...
annette. dont worry just post them

Tom seeing that I am researching the Regiment, I had best stay in the Museum's good books B), but I have found one sent to me by a relative of a soldier and I am sure they will not mind me posting it. It's only a photocopy so hope it comes out ok. It shows the band of the 4th K.S.L.I. (possibly 2/4th), the chap lying down on the left is 201257 Bgl. Benjamin, Purslow, of Cornbrook, Nr Clee Hill, Shrops. & also Cleobury Mortimer.

The photo must have been taken in Britian, because of small child in photo.

I also have a photo of the 6th K.S.L.I. band but I have not got around to asking museum if I can post it yet.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/ras...g/lastscana.jpg

Here is the 15th Convalescent Depot Band, Trouville-Ser-Mer, France. Taken on August 4th 1918.

Men from many units including a Scottish unit and an airman.

Spr H G Quarry, 248th field Coy, Royal Engineers, 63rd Royal Naval Division, is seated second right in the first full row.

I have a collection of this mans pictures, he came from Bedford and is mentioned in the NRGW.

Cheers.

Many thanks to all who have still been supporting this thread.

I´m on holiday at the moment and haven´t had much opportunity to look in here, but it´s nice to see everything still rolling along.

I´ll catch up with you all in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Tony

yes pals lets keep this post going. bands i would like to see is the 6th dorset band from the great war and the royal marine artilary band portsmouth from 1900 - 1917 my granddad was in the dorsets and my great uncle was in the marine band yet to see a photo of them .thanks tom

• 1 month later...

Sorting through my pics again today and thought that this one may be appreciated here. They are Kiwis.(from New Zealand :D ) "MO"

post-13272-1181339345.jpg

heres a Scottish one for you, Harry Lauder lent his name to this recruiting band.

post-19630-1181341091.jpg

Nice photo Mo! and I am delighted to see some tartan at last and with some clever colouring. Thanks for that anyway Logan.

Which regiment are they actually?

Are there any Black Watch bands out there?

Cheers,

Tony

Actually, the band in the postcard were recruited from all over Scotland by Lauder himself. He gave them Highland uniforms and paid them to go out around the country to assist in the recruitment effort. They played in theatres but also in town squares and marched off to the recruiting offices followed by dozens, sometimes hundreds of men. He claimed that they were the first recruiting band in Britain.