Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War One Military Bands

A.A.Savery

This may not fit your area of interest as this Military Band is a civilian and not regimental Band. There is a nice WW1 Roll of Honour Scroll photo though.

Dave

http://www.adamsonband.co.uk/

post-1837-1173722817.jpg

Being a musician I am always very pleased to see any photos of Military Bands.

The Salvation Army had a band composed of thier ambulance drivers, which played at hospitals and gave concerts, as well as accompanying their services.

See attached pic. They had special instruments engraved wth the name of Bramwell Booth, their general.

Liz

post-1837-1173723233.jpg...and I have no idea who or where these were, but they were among my aunt's photos taken in the Boulogne/ Abbeville? Arras areas between 1917 and 1923. Any suggestions welcome.

Liz

My thanks to Coath, Stephen, Dave and Liz for their contributions here.

Wonderful pictures!

Cheers,

Tony

Hi

If I remember correctly one of the guards bands did some recording before the Great War, they were playing Sibelius

I'll have a look for them.

Regards

Mart

Hi

If I remember correctly one of the guards bands did some recording before the Great War, they were playing Sibelius

I'll have a look for them.

Regards

Mart

I'll look forward to that Mart.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony

I've found it

CD Finlandia Records FACD 003 Music of Jean Sibelius (18651957).

Track 4 Valse triste H. M. Coldstream Guards Orchestra. recorded 1907.

When I googled lI found a lot of links to H M guards bands and acoustic recordings.

Regards

Mart

Hi Tony

I've found it

CD Finlandia Records FACD 003 Music of Jean Sibelius (18651957).

Track 4 Valse triste H. M. Coldstream Guards Orchestra. recorded 1907.

When I googled lI found a lot of links to H M guards bands and acoustic recordings.

Regards

Mart

Many thanks Mart,

Actually you have now got me thinking about the possibility of scouring jumble sales etc. for old 78 recordings of these bands.

Then of course it will mean buying an old gramophone which can interpret the scratchiness correctly.

One more hobby won't hurt will it?

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony

There are some historic CDs of these bands I think. You can also get a machine/ssftware to remove cracks.

There are two very good collections of marching music, one by Herbert Von Karajan, probabally the project dearest to his heart, recorded in the early 1970's, if you read some of the autobiographies, after the first day some wags asked him to come in his old ss uniform...

The other is french, but I can't recall the conductor.

Regards

Mart

PS not great war but have you watch the DVD about Furtwangler at the end of World War 2?

[ I have only just joined so not too sure about the form! I noticed when scrolling through the Great War Forum that last year somebody had mentioned finding a book called Bullets & Bandsmen - well, I wrote it and it was published in 1992 (out of print...possibly on eBay). It was about my father Bandsman Erskine Williams (1881-1951) who (in his mid-thirties) trained at Brocton Camp in Staffordshire and joined the band of the 11th Division at Forceville early in 1917. His instrument was the oboe (violin, too) and as he was a commercial artist he sent home scores of sketches of what he saw until the end of 1918 - in particular other bandsmen. It shows the lighter side of the Western Front - he did posters for the Wunny Wuns concert party too - but also the horrors of burying the dead in his capacity as a stretcher bearer. In 1998 - 80 years on - I went to the Western Front with my son to make four short films for Channel 4 called Armistice Diary - you may have seen them. Based on his diaries and featuring Nov 9, 10, 11 and 12 1918 the films were shown on those same dates in 1998. Incidentally I would be very interested in finding any descendants of the bandsmen he drew (and sent home to his dad) as I have most of their names and regiments. I could type them out though it might take a little time! Got pictures, too - when I can work out how to send them.

Hi Wunny Wuns,

Welcome to the forum.

I am sure that you will find many things to interest you and hope that you will stay and share some ideas with us.

There are some very knowledgeable members who I am sure would be able to help you with your area of interest.

As far as posting photo’s goes, it’s not that difficult once you have had a try. There is even an area of the forum where you can practice this till you get it right.

Best wishes,

Tony

Here are a couple of photos which I find interesting.

Exactly when they are from, I couldn’t say, though they do look like Great War to me.

Tony

post-14730-1173894472.jpg

I kind of like this one two because my grandfather was a 'Spurs' supporter.

I have no doubt they he listened to Brass Bands too.

Tony

post-14730-1173894184.jpg

Hi Tony.

Interesting thread having played the trumpet for over thirty years now!

Picture is the 'Leeds Pals' Regimental Band. My Father bought me my first trumpet from Kitchens of Leeds, now defunct i am sorry to say. The shop donated the instruments to the 'Pals'. Link with the past or what :D

Well, i think between us all we have formed the first 'Forum Battalion Band'!

Kindest regards to you all.

Chris.

post-47-1174426375.jpg

Herewith a couple. First, Royal Fusiliers and then two from the 6th (Rifles) King's (Liverpool). All c. 1915 - Simplified Service Dress in evidence, while all caps are stiff.

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

Band-RoyalFusiliers.jpg

Band-6thKingsLiverpoolRifles1.jpg

Band-6thKingsLiverpoolRifles2.jpg

Hi Tony.

Interesting thread having played the trumpet for over thirty years now!

Picture is the 'Leeds Pals' Regimental Band. My Father bought me my first trumpet from Kitchens of Leeds, now defunct i am sorry to say. The shop donated the instruments to the 'Pals'. Link with the past or what :D

Well, i think between us all we have formed the first 'Forum Battalion Band'!

Kindest regards to you all.

Chris.

Hi Chris. When I can work out how to attach pictures I will send some bands my father Erskine Williams was in when in training at Brocton Camp Staffs and later 'all over' the Western Front, plus some concert party pix.

Daphne (ie Wunny Wuns)

Daphne,

Assuming the photo is already saved as a file on your computer:

click ADD REPLY

click the grey Browse button

a box called CHOOSE FILE will appear, from where you locate and select the required file from your computer

click Add this Attachment

Finish you meesage as usual by clicking Add Reply

Grovetown

Can you interpret the chalk marks to the left of the door in the buglers' photo? I have seen similar marks made by billeting officers and sergeants to denote the unit and number of men billeted therein.

There is a lot of work going on to save/capture/restore military and flute band music of the Great War and immediate pre-war period - both from recorded media (cylinders/78's/discs on card) and by playing the sheet music. The fall of East Germany brought a lot of splendid material to light from the German side.

Currently several CDs have been released and there is also I believe some French material forthcoming

In Russia there is a Choral Institute which is systematically recording and documenting the marching songs of the Tsarist Army (and the White Forces of the Civil War)

Anyone who is interested in this sort of thing please PM me

The Drums & Bugles of the 6th [service] Bn The Northamptonshire Regt,The base drummer is a Pte/Cpl Rabbitt

post-2388-1174517874.jpg

Drums and Bugles, 1st battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers, circa 1912.

post-148-1174535657.jpg

Nearly 3 years later, the majority of these men landed at 'V Beach' Cape Helles from the S.S. River Clyde, 25.04.1915.

The Drum Major Joseph Hickey was reported killed in action May 1st 1915, he was aged 32 years. In actual fact he was shot by Turkish sniper while burying one of his buglers.

Sullivan.

1st battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers leaving Coventry March 1915 for Gallipoli via Avonmouth Docks and Malta.

post-148-1174536644.jpg

The Munster Fusiliers with band marching to Coventry Railway Station in Hertford Street. Well wishers line the route and cheer them on their way.

This photo is copyright of Coventry Central Library - Education and Library Services. Special permission has been given to display this image.

Sullivan.