Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tropical jacket and trousers - suitable for WW1 or not?

Andrew Upton

The trouser buttons bear the mark "V. Falzon Malta". The jacket is a really great lived in piece, with numerous repairs and patching - both elbows have been worn out, carefully patched and darned, then worn out again!

My dilemma now is - how to rebadge it for display? It no longer has any buttons or collars badges remaining, and no name to attribute a unit to it. There are two holes for the collar badge lugs that are 1 inch apart vertically, and the faint markings remaining indicate they were originally mostly tall and narrow but with a wide angular base. My gut feeling would lean towards Artillery or Engineer grenade badges as most likely, but the seller revealed it was purchased at auction by him in Ilkley last year - so Yorkshire Regiment collars might match. I definitely won't be adding any new holes, otherwise I have a lovely matched set of MGC buttons that would suit it (but would never find a pair of MGC collars to fit the holes!).

Edited by Andrew Upton

Yorks Regiment collars are wide at the base so won't they usually have two lower lugs? If it were mine I would badge it as Artillery if the collars fitted. Nice early jacket with that rear pleat.

16 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

One to give this a bump - a recent addition to the collection at a bargain price via a misidentified Ebay listing :D :

I am intrigued.  In what respect was the item misidentified?

9 hours ago, wainfleet said:

Yorks Regiment collars are wide at the base so won't they usually have two lower lugs? If it were mine I would badge it as Artillery if the collars fitted. Nice early jacket with that rear pleat.

I had a quick look on Ebay last night, and there was a nice Yorkshire Regiment pair of bronzed collars with, as you say, the three lugs, but didn't know if that was usual or not. Artillery is otherwise as good as any if I can find a nice matched pair that fit...

58 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

I am intrigued.  In what respect was the item misidentified?

Listed in (and sold as) WW2 vintage, because the seller had bought it with some much later KD at the same Ilkley auction, and apparently assumed it all dated from the same period. I've been looking at KD on Ebay recently, and it turned up in a "Similar" search, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it . Like Wainfleet, I spotted the rear pleat and belted section and realised what it was.

4 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

I had a quick look on Ebay last night, and there was a nice Yorkshire Regiment pair of bronzed collars with, as you say, the three lugs, but didn't know if that was usual or not. Artillery is otherwise as good as any if I can find a nice matched pair that fit...

Listed in (and sold as) WW2 vintage, because the seller had bought it with some much later KD at the same Ilkley auction, and apparently assumed it all dated from the same period. I've been looking at KD on Ebay recently, and it turned up in a "Similar" search, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it . Like Wainfleet, I spotted the rear pleat and belted section and realised what it was.

It always feels good when you can acquire a a bargain like this.  Not so good if you are the Seller.  A few years ago I was able to get a pre-1873 Cameron Highlanders dirk belt on eBay far below market that the Seller misidentified as a 1960s -1970s item.

• 3 weeks later...

Only took a couple of weeks, but... :)

https://postimg.org/image/7n6dnqjdb/

RIMG1896.jpg

Looks great worn with Sam Browne and Wolseley - if I ever get the space, will be a great basis for display on a manikin.

Edited by Andrew Upton

19 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Only took a couple of weeks, but... :)

https://postimg.org/image/7n6dnqjdb/

RIMG1896.jpg

Looks great worn with Sam Browne and Wolseley - if I ever get the space, will be a great basis for display on a manikin.

Looks like a nice item.  Please post a photo when you get the display finalized.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, NR72 said:

I came across these a while back , no knowledge of what they are, any ideas? 

I saw the other post - these appear to be c.WW2 production. The use of the big belt loops with the rear pocket is fairly typical of the period, and the material plus the remains of that rounded purple marking is fairly typical of Indian military production clothing in the period.

Thank you Andrew, so would have these been officers breeches or just cavalry in general? and im guessing it wouldnt just be Indian army wearing these ?

3 hours ago, NR72 said:

Thank you Andrew, so would have these been officers breeches or just cavalry in general? and im guessing it wouldnt just be Indian army wearing these ?

From the markings they would be general issue, most likely OR's, and unlikely to be officers. Also worth remembering that some roles like motorcyclists were still in breeches, not just actual cavalry.

• 4 years later...

I'm adding this question here to keep the information on various KD tunics together as a resource.

It's a question about terminology - I have just seen a label in an inter war/ WWII ? vintage Khaki Drill jacket which uses a term I have not seen before, "Florentine" 

I checked and this is not on my similar jackets - can anyone enlighten me?

TIA 

Chris

KDFLorentine.jpg.e805b327ffb426fdfadff65818e16100.jpg

No idea sorry but I have a KD top that’s a reasonable example of an inter-war pattern - straight pockets, pointed cuffs, single vent at the back and single seam, stand and fall collar and single dart. very faint indiscernible markings, GS buttons
IMG_0672.jpeg.593dfc345bb0281540f6c6bf297508c5.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg.643c423f244190a7a0bb8a192150a1aa.jpeg

IMG_0674.jpeg.8d2d4e0a501c670ae7e900d9223b2307.jpeg

IMG_0675.jpeg.9d28beb098b4f2a871fcc4b2bba0c7b7.jpeg

Edited by MrEd

Thanks - this one has a round "mandarin"? collar and "lancer" / "Gauntlet" cuffs (if those are the correct terms) - I have a couple like it and I believe they were Royal Marine issue (based on service numbers inked into them - they were part of the original thread but many images are missing I think -- actually my question was mostly about the Name/Word "Florentine" and what it refers to.

That's a nice looking jacket!

CHris

Edited by 4thGordons

Yep royal Marines did mandarin their collar - in ww2 atleast (I don’t know about before but have seen photos of other mandarin collars before but they are pre-ww1 iirc) there is a great photo in the KD and jungle green book 1939-1945 -out of scope for this forum but a good example of a mandarin collar worn by a RM

IMG_1179.png.dbb086c2a41374afbd9f0bc4158bb83b.png

mine came from a reenactor, I intend to rebadge it to the East Surreys for a late 1920’s Palestine display. Just posted it for the comparison of the later, post-ww1, pattern. I must iron it!

like this

IMG_0522.jpeg.32a00712bb0cac5d6ce72b42e01ae944.jpeg

Edited by MrEd