Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Not Forgotten - Ian Hislop

pooter

The programme can be downloaded from Channel 4's website for a fee of 99p. I think that this process requires you to watch it on your PC.

4 on demand

I would, however, be amazed if it isn't repeated on More 4 within the month.

An excellent and perhaps surprisingly a very balanced view from an excellent presenter.

I have to say that I too rather enjoyed the programme and was happy to see that it attempted to give a balnaced argument to an emotive topic. Beyond that, I won't comment as I quite like being a forum member!

Seems to be favourable comments all round, which I totally agree with. I thought Hislop's summing up and the meaning of the term 'Pardon' was excellent.

Was this the first of a new series or a one-off? The first series by the same title 'Not Forgotten' was excellent and prompted me to visit Balcombe Victory Hall to view the murals and we were warmly welcomed - thanks.

Just checked Next Weeks Offerings from Channel.4,and there is no mention of "Not Forgotten",maybe my Listings are wrong,i will double check the Channel 4 Wesite.Double checked C.4 Website and there is NO mention of this First Programme being the first in a New Series. :blink:

I think it was Haig that first stated the figure of 1,000 to Ian Hislop.

Joan - the figure may have come from a book written by Cathryn Corns and John Hughes-Wilson. In their Appendix 3 they give some graphs and narrative - the first refers to Desertion - and they refer to a "steady state of around 1000 men per month throughout the rest of the war" (from about Nov 1916, previously their statistics are much higher).

I cant find their source for this, their definition of desertion or the geographical location to which the figures apply ie. all theatres plus UK?

I am rather sceptical of their figures but sadly (at this moment) no closer to answering your question as to what happened to the (approx.) 30,000+ unaccounted for in their figures! EDITED: I think I miscalculated - its around 56,000 that are unaccounted for according to Corns and Hughes-Wilson (this figure relate purely to desertion).

Just to be on the safe side of the moderators and to remind other Forum members who may want to participate, I have been careful not to use the "E" word or infringe Forum rules (as I understand them) - if i have then please do delete the offending post.

Regards,

Jon S

Was this the first of a new series or a one-off?

It may have been that was to be shown as part of the original series but held over as the issue would have been sort of "sub judice" (is that the right phrase?). And then theyve made a new introduction and end for showing now. Hislop was wearing a poppy a lot of the time which made me think it was going to be shown in November.

I found it very interesting anyway.

I think you may be correct. I cannot remember how many there were in the previous series but usually these things seem to be even number of episodes.

I think Dobrobbichop is right - the programme makers may well have re-shot the programme following the recent developments. They certainly re-did at least one of the earlier programmes because the series was filmed with various people informing relatives of what had happened to their ancestors and I was one of these. I received a letter from the production company telling me that following the success of Ian Hislop's "Who do you think you are?" programme, he had become a hot property as far as Great War TV was concerned, and "my" programme was being re-shot with Ian Hislop instead of me. I believe they re-shot the whole series in this way.

No hard feelings, by the way. I thought the series was excellent.

Tom

I was staying at Avril's in October (2006) when Ian visited for tea - he was going round shooting for the programme then.

Tom - the ladies would have been much happier if they had retained your services I'm sure ! :)

But you are right. Hislop is OK.

On the subject of celebrity Great War enthusiasts, I met Paul McGann at Thiepval and then at the Barbican where he introduced "The Battle of the Somme" film. A decent chap too.

Hi

Talking of celebrities how are enthuisasts, does anyone know if Tom Hanks collection on the US army covers the GW?

What I heard about his collection - it was all to do do with the Second World War, he was supposed to have started as a boy, so it is built with knowledge and love, and a little cash later in life.

Maybe he's one of the old sweats, under a double alias.....

Regards

Mart

Jon S

Thank you for the information,I am aware that the subject has to be treated with kid gloves,perhaps it would have been more appropriate had I raised the question regarding what happened to the 30,000+ using another thread for answers.I second your statement regarding not wishing to infringe Forum rules.

Regards

Joan

I have managed to persuade The Nelson Committe of Pendle Council to seriously consider a new war memorial for Nelson which will include the names of the fallen (The present one has no names) from various conflicts eg Boer War, WW1, WW2 and Korean War.

Does anyone think this would make a good ptogramme for sy Channel 4.

Fred

Yes Fred- I do. And I'm sure that The Nelson Committee of the Council would see some benefit in having the matter covered on TV. Plus of course, it might encourage them to go ahead with the project. I would contact the TV company, explain the project and ask if they would like to come in on the ground floor and follow the project through. Good luck with it.

Tom

WW1 celebrity enthusiasts ...

F1's Eddie Irvine was at Thiepval on July 1 and at Ulster Tower ... he also forked out the money for a pretty decent docu. on Blair Mayne.

My great-grandfather absconded from his (home based) unit sometime in 1916 and was subsequently charged with Desertion. He pleaded guilty to going AWOL at his court martial and was sentenced to 60 days in Wakefield Detention Barracks (Wakefield prison), going on to serve in F&F, being killed in action in 1917. I suspect many men who absconded where similarly initially charged with desertion (and perhaps counting in the figures mentioned earlier) and later being found not guilty, going AWOL or some other related charge.

Regards,

Neil.

>The first series by the same title 'Not Forgotten' was excellent

This has me wondering if the title emanated from a grave for two of the Bradford Pals who died this way. When the men in the company placed flowers on their graves one C.O kicked them away saying Forget these men.... Relatives must have been told about this by a survivor and later had the phrase ' Not Forgotten by those who loved him ' put on one of the graves after the war.

Family legend has it that my grandfather, hearing that my Grandmother and their infant daughter were ill, tried to get leave to see them, he couldn't and so 'went absent', then, having made sure of them, to avoid punishment, went to the local recruiting office, reversed the order of his Christian names and re-enlisted this time in the local Infantry Battalion - Certainly his marriage certificate has him as Gunner, Royal Artillery, but the only pension document for him (names reversed) lists him only as Queen's (W Surrey) Regt and Labour Corps.

So presumably he is listed somewhere as a deserter.

Tom the Walrus

The first series was repeated recently on the satellite channel More 4 on Sunday sfternoons so I would keep a look out for it on E4 or More 4.

You wont be able to record it from More 4 as this Channel seems to be encrypted,anything i have tried to record on More 4 either gives you the Message unable to record this programme,or you get about 1 Minute of the Title Programme then a complete Whiteout when you go to replay it. :(

Addressed to the Moderators...

Again one of my postings has been deleted..

I am fully aware of the rules, and that this posting can be ignored nor correspondence entered into.

However with that in mind the question that I asked was specifically targeted at the context of the programme as it was referred to but never explained, and not on the wider issue which has been firmly driven underground.

John

You wont be able to record it from More 4 as this Channel seems to be encrypted,anything i have tried to record on More 4 either gives you the Message unable to record this programme,or you get about 1 Minute of the Title Programme then a complete Whiteout when you go to replay it. :(

At least someone else is having the same problem, I thought it was me being a prat. :)

At least someone else is having the same problem, I thought it was me being a prat. :)

This is interesting!

I've recorded stuff from Mo' Fo' with no problems. I use 20th century technology (VCR - VHS, I've retired the Betamax :lol: ) combined with 21st century (freeview box). What kit are you and PBI using? Sky? Sky+? Cable? Something else?

Jim

Telewest Digital Cable TV Link,and recording on to a Sony RDR-HX510 DVD Recorder.I can record anything from all the other cable Channels,just Nowt from More.4