Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Three Sons Killed in Action"

Guest mruk

Dave you've stolen my thunder... I was building up to that :P

• 2 weeks later...

I note that the subject of this topic is “Three Sons Killed in Action,” not “Three Brothers Killed in Action.” So, these three qualify:

G/2330 Private Percy Thomas Ragless
8th Battalion, The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment)
Killed in Action September 26, 1915

9600 Private George Ragless
2nd Battalion, Hampshire Regiment
Killed in Action April 17, 1918

22300 Private Arthur Lintott
1st Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment
(formerly 22669, Hampshire Regiment)
Killed in Action April 5, 1918

Percy and George are brothers; Arthur is their older step-brother. They are three sons of Sarah Ragless (formerly Lintott, nee Clarke) of The Square, Elstead, Surrey. The population of Elstead in the 1911 UK Census was 1033 persons, in 250 occupied dwellings. The group of seven small cottages, known collectively as The Square, was situated at the top of Hope Street, at the western edge of the village green. In addition to the sons of Sarah Ragless, the families of The Square lost to the Great War for Civilization William and Ernest Tilson, the sons of George and Jane Tilson; Edmund Ellis, a veteran of the Boer War and husband of Ethel May Ellis; and Lewis and Walter Novell, the sons of Lewis and Alice Novell. The Novells were cousins, by marriage, to two more brothers killed in action, Albert and Walter Wisdom, the sons of Andrew and Charlotte Wisdom of Pot Common, Elstead (formerly of The Square). And, the Wisdoms at Pot Common were next door neighbors to William and Eliza Burchett, whose three sons killed in action have previously been mentioned in this topic :

7882 Serjeant Arthur Burchett
1st Battalion, Coldstream Guards
Killed in Action September 14, 1914

G/48086 Private Colin Burchett
17th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment
Killed in Action December 11, 1917

220046 Private Edwin Burchett
1/4th Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment
Killed in Action November 1, 1918

Arthur Burchett landed in France on August 14, 1914. At the Aisne, exactly one month later, he became the first Elstead man to fall in the war. Edwin Burchett was the last, just 10 days before the armistice. Between these two, 36 other Elstead men fell, including six at Loos, all on the second day, and all probably having never fired a single shot in combat. With the exception of Walter Novell, all these Elstead men are commemorated on the village war memorial. Only four fatalities for the surname Reffold are recorded in UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 . All four are Elstead men, two being brothers, Henry and George Reffold, the sons of Alfred and Elizabeth Reffold of the cottages near the church (formerly of Hope Street). In the 1911 UK Census, by far the most common surname in the village of Elstead, was Ellis, as it had been for forty years. The extended Ellis family is represented four times on the monument, one son each from four Ellis families. There is still a great deal to tell regarding the Elstead men commemorated on the village war memorial. But that will have to wait for another topic. I fear that I have already abused my license for this topic, which is not a wise thing to do in a first post. I apologize.

post-98048-0-78848400-1365128653_thumb.j

• 8 months later...

Although the last one has his surname spelt different, these are three brothers who I found for someone in Bedfordshire.

Name: RAYNER

Initials: W A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 137th Heavy Bty.

Date of Death: 27/10/1916

Service No: 1400

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 17.

Cemetery: BAZENTIN-LE-PETIT MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: RAYNER, ROBERT

Initials: R

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd/7th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/10/1917

Service No: 275749

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXXV. G. 15.

Cemetery: TYNE COT CEMETERY

Name: RAYNOR

Initials: A

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "A" Bty. 124th Bde.

Date of Death: 27/10/1918

Service No: 80545

Grave/Memorial Reference: XIV. B. 4.

Cemetery: ROCQUIGNY-EQUANCOURT ROAD BRITISH CEMETERY, MANANCOURT

My Great Uncles ... Robert, Alf, Wilfred

There is still a great deal to tell regarding the Elstead men commemorated on the village war memorial. But that will have to wait for another topic. I fear that I have already abused my license for this topic, which is not a wise thing to do in a first post. I apologize.

No need to apologize: I wish my first post (many years ago) was as informative as yours...!

Roel

Some more family tragedies:

My Great Uncles and Great Aunt:

Roy DUNCANSON. KIA 7/7/16 Somme

Ian Ferguson DUNCANSON. KIA 12/10/17. Poelcapelle

Una DUNCANSON. A VAD Nurse. Drowned 31/12/17.

Is this the only example of two brothers and a sister?

Three EDWARDS brothers from Buckland, near Reigate in Surrey.

Arthur EDWARDS. KIA 4th April 1916

James EDWARDS. DOW 1st Feb 1917

Charles Herbert EDWARDS. KIA 27th Sept 1918.

And finally the ANDERSON brothers featured in this years Cenotaph Remembrance Sunday programme.

Charlie ANDERSON. KIA 19/12/14

Ronnie ANDERSON. KIA 8/10/15

Teddy ANDERSON. DOW 16/3/18

Bertie ANDERSON VC. KIA 25/3/18

Bertie had children and I know his Grand daughter. Her brother featured in the programme and has written a book, 'The Way Home', based on their letters and their mothers. A wonderful book. (Troubador Publishing)

I believe the current thread "Oz Captain" (John Fitzmaurice Guy Luther) contains information of 2 brothers and a sister who died in WW1

Not totally relevant to this thread, but for family commitment:-

POPE, CHARLES ALFRED WHITING. Rank: Captain. Date of Death: 04/05/1917. Age: 39.
Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps. Panel Reference: Memorial: SAVONA MEMORIAL
Additional Information: M.B. Son of Alfred Pope, J.P., F.S.A., and Elizabeth Mary Pope, of Wrackleford House, Dorset; husband of Marion Ruth Pope, of 7, Sedlescombe Rd. South, St. Leonards-on-Sea. One of eleven brothers and four sisters, all of whom (except one son predeceased) fought or worked for their Country in the Great War.
POPE, EDWARD ALEXANDER. Rank: Lieutenant Colonel. Date of Death: 09/04/1919. Age: 43.
Regiment/Service: Welsh Regiment. 3rd Bn. Awards: D S O
Grave Reference: Near South wall of Church. Cemetery: STRATTON (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD
Additional Information: Son of Alfred Pope, J.P., F.S.A., and Elizabeth Mary Pope, of Wrackleford House, Dorset; husband of Sybil Pope, of The Dring, Queen Camel, Somerset. One of eleven brothers and four sisters, all of whom (except one son predeceased) fought or worked for their Country in the Great War.

Elton Wescott was headteacher of Grasby village school in Lincolnshire. He and his wife Leah lost three sons:

WESCOTT, ELTON HARRY

Service No:9828

Date of Death:15/08/1915

Regiment/Service:Lincolnshire Regiment 6th Bn.

Grave Reference J. 44.

Cemetery ALEXANDRIA (CHATBY) MILITARY AND WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

WESCOTT, EDWARD LAWRENCE

Service No:9580

Date of Death:11/05/1917

Regiment/Service:Lincolnshire Regiment 8th Bn.

Grave Reference XVIII. M. 6A.

Cemetery ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

WESCOTT, ARTHUR FRANK

Service No: 99056

Date of Death: 13/11/1918

Regiment/Service:Royal Field Artillery "A" Bty. 152nd Bde.

Cemetery GRASBY CHURCH BURIAL GROUND

My apologies if these have already been posted, but I haven't read through the previous pages.

Just find it "unusual" that, on all 9 of these entries, the information has only been made on one of the casualties, not the other two brothers....

BAINES, GEORGE. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Date of Death: 03/06/1917. Age: 33.
Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps. 48th Sqdn. and 23rd Bn. Middlesex Regiment
Grave Reference: XVII. E. 21. Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Thomas and Margaret Anne Baines, of 58, Hazlewell Rd., Putney, London. One of seven brothers who served, three of whom were killed. He returned from South America to enlist.
BARNARD, HARRY VICTOR. Rank: Private. Service No: 75265. Date of Death: 09/06/1918. Age: 19.
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers. 17th Bn.
Grave Reference: I. D 10. Cemetery: DOULLENS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION NO.2
Additional Information: Son of George and Eliza Barnard, of Pound Corner, East Harling, Thetford, Norfolk. One of three brothers killed in the War.
BRENNOCK, PATRICK. Rank: Stoker. Service No: 1719U. Date of Death: 26/08/1915. Age: 33.
Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Reserve. H.M.S. "Europa."
Panel Reference: 10. Memorial: PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Michael and Mary Brennock, of 41, South Dock St., Ringsend, Dublin. One of three brothers killed in the war.
DE HERIZ, FRANCIS GERALD VANE SMITH. Rank: Private. Service No: 19657. Date of Death: 15/10/1917. Age: 35.
Regiment/Service: Coldstream Guards. 3rd Coy. 2nd Bn.
Grave Reference: X. I. 1. Cemetery: DOZINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of the late Rev. Lionel Forbes Vane Smith de Heriz and Hannah Maria Vane Smith de Heriz, of High Ercall Vicarage, Wellington, Salop. Formerly resided at Over Whitacre, nr. Birmingham. One of four brothers who served in the Great War, three of whom were killed.
FINNERTY, MARTIN. Rank: Private. Service No: 267910. Date of Death: 20/08/1917. Age: 24.
Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment. 6th Bn.
Grave Reference: III. C. 5. Cemetery: ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION
Additional Information: Son of Thomas and Mary Ann Finnerty, of 5, Etchell St., Stockport. One of three sons killed in action : Thomas and William also fell.
MACAULAY, FREDERIC CHARLES. Rank: Serjeant. Service No: 729. Date of Death: 14/01/1916. Age: 41.
Regiment/Service: 1st King Edward's Horse. "C" Sqdn.
Grave Reference: I. D. 20. Cemetery: MAROC BRITISH CEMETERY, GRENAY
Additional Information: Son of Col. C. E. Macaulay (Probyn's Horse) and Frederica Julia Pollock Macaulay; husband of Mary A. Macaulay, of Crown's, Ugley, Essex. The youngest of three brothers, all of whom were killed in action.
MELLON, PERCIVAL JAMES. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: S/36651. Date of Death: 06/10/1918. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade. posted to 17th Bn. London Regiment
Grave Reference: VI. D. 40. Cemetery: RATION FARM MILITARY CEMETERY, LA CHAPELLE-D'ARMENTIERES
Additional Information: Son of Henry and Annie Mellon, of 38, Trefusis Rd., Redruth, Cornwall. One of three sons killed in the war. Native of Bolton, Lancs.
STEPHENSON, ERIC LIONEL. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Date of Death: 18/03/1916. Age: 24.
Regiment/Service: Lincolnshire Regiment. 4th Bn.
Grave Reference: I. D. 3. Cemetery: ECOIVRES MILITARY CEMETERY, MONT-ST. ELOI
Additional Information: Son of James and Clara Frances Stephenson. Born at Althorpe, Lincs. One of seven brothers who served in the War, three of whom were killed in France.
WATMOUGH, JOHN CYRIL. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Date of Death: 10/07/1915. Age: 26.
Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers. 2nd Bn.
Grave Reference: II. A. 8. Cemetery: RIDGE WOOD MILITARY CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of John and the late Helen Mary Watmough, late of Bramley, Leeds. One of three brothers killed in the war.
Five brothers..
SOULS, ALBERT. Rank: Private. Service No: 17208. Date of Death: 14/03/1916. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry). 5th Coy.
Grave Reference: A. 41. Cemetery: BULLY-GRENAY COMMUNAL CEMETERY, FRENCH EXTENSION
Additional Information: Of Great Rissington, Bourton-on-the-Water, Glos. Son of William and Julia Amy Souls, of Great Barrington, Burford, Oxon. Four of his brothers, Alfred, Arthur William, Frederick George and Walter Davis Souls also fell.
CHISHOLM, RODERICK. Rank: Private. Service No: 11694. Date of Death: 24/11/1917. Age: 24.
Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry. 14th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 10. Memorial: CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL
Additional Information: Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Roderick Chisholm, of 14, Cambridge Drive, Glasgow. Wounded four times. His brothers, Christopher and Thomas John also fell.
CLARKE, ALFRED ERNEST. Rank: Private. Service No: 8993. Date of Death: 05/04/1918. Age: 21.
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers. 7th Bn.
Panel Reference: Bay 3. Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Ernest and Mary Maria Clarke, of I, Railway Villas, St. Margaret's, Herts. One of six sons who served, four of whom fell.
COLLINS, PATRICK. Rank: 2nd Corporal. Service No: 79980. Date of Death: 29/03/1918. Age: 30.
Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers. 173rd Tunnelling Coy.
Panel Reference: Panel 10 to 13. Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Agnes Collins, of 1, Philip St., Waterford. One of six brothers who served, four of whom fell.
COLLINS, STEPHEN. Rank: Private. Service No: 6347. Date of Death: 19/10/1914. Age: 16.
Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Regiment. 2nd Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 11 and 12. Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Agnes Collins, of 1, Philip St., Waterford. One of six brothers who served, four of whom fell.
DUNLOP, JULIAN SILVER STRICKLAND. Rank: Captain. Date of Death: 24/10/1914. Age: 38.
Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 1st Bn. Awards: Mentioned in Despatches.
Panel Reference: Panel 35 and 37. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Andrew Dunlop, M.D., of Belgrave House, Jersey, Channel Islands. Gazetted to a commission in 1895; Lt. 1898; Capt. 1904; A.D.C. to Sir Frederick Fryer, Lt. Governor of Burmah. Adjt. 4th (Spec. Res.) Bn. S. Staffordshire Regt. Four other brothers served, two of whom fell.
DUNN, WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Service No: 8121. Date of Death: 01/07/1916. Age: 24.
Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment. "B" Coy. 17th Bn.
Panel Reference: Pier and Face 13 A and 14 C. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of the late William and Elizabeth Dunn. One of four brothers who served, three of whom fell.
ELLIS, D. Rank: Private. Service No: 236544. Date of Death: 06/11/1917. Age: 25.
Regiment/Service: Herefordshire Regiment. 1st/1st Bn.
Grave Reference: E. 45. Cemetery: BEERSHEBA WAR CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of James and Elizabeth Ellis, of 1, Lower Court, Bridge St., Leominster. One of four sons who fell in the War.
LEE, L F. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: TR8/10881. Date of Death: 29/01/1919. Age: 19.
Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps.
Grave Reference: OOO. 6. Cemetery: BRISTOL (ARNOS VALE) CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Thomas Albert Lee, of 10, Wellgarth Rd., Knowle, Bristol, and the late Mary Ann Lee. One of four brothers who served, three of whom fell.
MURRAY, JAMES BLAIR. Rank: Corporal. Service No: S/10937. Date of Death: 23/07/1918. Age: 33.
Regiment/Service: Cameron Highlanders. 6th Bn.
Panel Reference: Memorial: SOISSONS MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Robert and Mary Murray, of Law, Carluke, Lanarkshire; husband of Sarah D. Murray, of Mayhill, Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire. One of four brothers who served, three of whom fell.
MacRAE, KENNETH. Rank: Gunner. Service No: 166254. Date of Death: 03/04/1918. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery. 110th Heavy Bty.
Grave Reference: VII. D. 2. Cemetery: FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS
Additional Information: Son of Duncan MacRae, of Crask of Aigas, Beauly, Inverness-shire. Born at Kilmorack. The youngest of four brothers who fell.
PIPE, EDWIN GEORGE. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 200937. Date of Death: 10/09/1917. Age: 21.
Regiment/Service: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry. 2nd/4th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 96 to 98. Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of William D. and Emma Pipe, of 9, Queen's Rd., Beccles, Suffolk. Youngest of four sons, all of whom fell.
PLAICE, WALTER. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: S/30981. Date of Death: 21/03/1918. Age: 37.
Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade. 16th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 81 to 84. Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of William and Mary Ann Plaice, of Bakers Alley, Magdalen, King's Lynn, Norfolk. one of four brothers who fell.
TARDY, FRANK. Rank: Private. Service No: 69977. Date of Death: 28/09/1916. Age: 26.
Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry. 26th Bn.
Panel Reference: Memorial: VIMY MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of John and Mary Tardy, of Dalhousie New Brunswick. One of four brothers who fell.
Father (?) and two sons...
RANDALL, H V. Rank: Gunner. Service No: 110213. Date of Death: 31/07/1917. Age: 20.
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery. "B" Bty. 71st Bde.
Panel Reference: Panel 5 and 9. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Blanchard (formerly Randall), of 52, Allestree Rd., Fulham, London, and the late Mr. Randall. His father and four brothers also served, one of whom fell.

Kevin in post 132

I cannot find what you suggest about the two brothers and a sister in 'Oz Captain'. I found one thread about him but no mention of a brother or sister.

Any further help appreciated.

James

James, my apologies, but I must have had a brain fade!

My recollection was of "someone" with a brother killed and sister in law, but can't find that now!

Ignore #132 as not relevant to this thread. Doh!

On the Island of Eigg (population 211 in 1901) only one family lost sons to the War:

McLELLAN, ARCHIBALD. Rank: Sailor. Date of Death: 28/07/1915 Age: 26
Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine S.S. "Mangara" (Glasgow)
Panel Reference Memorial TOWER HILL MEMORIAL
Son of Duncan McLellan and the late Helen McLellan, of Cleadale, Isle of Eigg, Inverness-shire.
McLELLAN, ANGUS. Rank: Private. Service No: S/13551 Date of Death: 25/09/1915 Age: 24
Regiment/Service: Cameron Highlanders 5th Bn.
Panel Reference Panel 119 to 124. Memorial LOOS MEMORIAL
Son of Duncan McLellan and the late Helen McLellan, of Cleadale, Isle of Eigg, Inverness-shire.
McLELLAN, DONALD. Rank: Serjeant. Service No: 12312 Date of Death: 03/11/1916 Age: 22
Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) 100th Coy.
Awards: M M
Panel Reference Pier and Face 5 C and 12 C. Memorial THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
A fourth son, 13553 Cpl. Donald McLellan did return home but appears to have emigrated to New Zealand by 1938

Must have hit the entire community there hard, but especially that family

Angus and Donald are separated by one number.... who dared come between two brothers?

This chap nearly did, dying a few days after Angus, presumably a friend?

McRAE, A. Rank: Private. Service No: S/13555. Date of Death: 28/09/1915. Age: 33.
Regiment/Service: Cameron Highlanders. 5th Bn.
Grave Reference: I. E. 61. Cemetery: CHOCQUES MILITARY CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of the late Alex McRae.

From The Burnley News Saturday 26 August 1916 via The British Newspaper Archive site : -

Colne Family's Loss

Three Sons Make the Supreme Sacrifice

"By the death in action of Private Walter Thompson of the South Lancashire Regiment, Mr & Mrs. Thompson of Carriers-row, Laneshawbridge, near Colne, have lost their third of four sons in the present war. The first son to lose his life in the country's service was Stoker William Henry Thompson, who was one of the crew of HMS Indefatigable sunk in the Jutland Battle. Private George Edward Thompson was killed on July 1st. and Walter on July 13th. The remaining son, Private J. H. Thomspn, is at present in training with the East Lancashire Regiment".

The anguish and pain of Mr. & Mrs. Thompson can only be, inadequately, imagined.

Douglas

Spare a thought for Mr Anthony and Mrs Juliet Mary Christophers from Invercargill, Southland, New Zealand .

Their sons travelled across the world to fight for the Empire .They received the dreaded telegram once a year for four years .They paid the supreme sacrifice .

Trooper Victor James Christophers, service number 9/547,Otago Mounted Rifles ,Killed in Action 31/5/1915,aged 29

Captain Herbert Henry Christophers , service number 24/7 ,New Zealand Rifle brigade ,Killed inaction ,2/6/1916,aged 27

Private Julian Anthony Christophers ,service number 45998,Canterbury Infantry Battalion,Killed in action 5/12/1917,aged 33

Second Lieutenant Reginald Gillon Christophers ,service number 60286,Otago Infantry Regiment,killed in Action 13/10/1918 ,aged 36

Three men from Widnes, Lancashire (Cheshire)

H

Pte Michael Burke
No.8277
1st Bn, The King`s Liverpool Regiment.
6th Bde, 2nd [Regular] Division.
Born : Widnes, Lancashire.
Enlisted : Warrington, Lancashire in 1903.
Resided : 20 Victoria Street, Widnes.
Killed in action in France on 16th May, 1915, aged 29.
No known grave; he is commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial.

The son of Patrick & Margaret Burke, he was one of six brothers in the army,
two of these, Peter and Thomas were also killed in action in France in 1915.
Michael Burke was a regular, initially reported as being wounded on the 16th
May, 1915, he was later listed amongst the killed.# On the 16th May his battalion attacked a German strongpoint, called “Cour D`Avoine”, during the Battle of Festubert.##
# WWN 1915. ## Regimental History.
Pte Peter Burke
No.8276
1st Bn, The King`s Liverpool Regiment.
Enlisted : Warrington, Lancashire in 1903.
Killed in action in France on 10th March, 1915, aged 30 .

A regular soldier, it will be noticed that Peter and his brother Michael have
consecutive numbers, this indicates that they enlisted at the same time. Prior
to enlisting, he worked as a clerk at the Muspratt works in Widnes and also
worked in Coventry for a short time.# One of three brothers who made the
ultimate sacrifice during the war, he was the first to be killed.
The son of Patrick & Margaret Burke, he was killed on the first day of the
Battle of Neuve Chappelle. On this day, the 1st Battalion lost 9 officers and
219 other ranks when attacking the German line, heavy casualties were
caused by the fact that the enemy barbed wire entanglements were uncut by
the allied bombardment.##
# WWN 1915. ## Regimental History.
Pte Thomas Burke
No.10964
1st Bn, The King`s Liverpool Regiment

Enlisted : Warrington, Lancashire in August, 1914.
Killed in action in France on 19th May, 1915, aged 35.

Employed at the Widnes Foundry before he joined up, Thomas Burke landed
in France in March, 1915, an ex regular soldier, he saw active service with the
3rd King`s during the South African War. He was killed during the Second
Battle of Ypres.
In July, 1915, Mrs Margaret Burke received a commemorative scroll from the
Widnes Town Council due to the fact that she had six sons in the army, by
that time, three of them had been killed. Tragically, none of the three Burke

brothers killed in the war have a known grave.#WWN 1915.

Many thanks for posting Jones75............

Here are Four Bothers from St.Helens.

Sergeant 216577 Jack F Eyden - Canadian Expeditionary Force - 100th Bn
http://www.sthelensrollsofhonour.co.uk/casualty-1626-Jack_F_Eyden.html

Trooper 125 James White Eyden - Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line
http://www.sthelensrollsofhonour.co.uk/casualty-1833-James_White_Eyden.htmlhttp://www.sthelensrollsofhonour.co.uk/casualty-1833-James_White_Eyden.html

Serjeant 15934 Harry S Eyden - King's (Liverpool Regiment) - 17th Bn.
http://www.sthelensrollsofhonour.co.uk/casualty-1625-Harry_S_Eyden.html

Company Sergeant Major A/20049 Samuel Frederick Eyden - Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regiment) - 16th Bn.

http://www.sthelensrollsofhonour.co.uk/casualty-1627-Samuel_Frederick_Eyden.html

Some more family tragedies:

My Great Uncles and Great Aunt:

Roy DUNCANSON. KIA 7/7/16 Somme

Ian Ferguson DUNCANSON. KIA 12/10/17. Poelcapelle

Una DUNCANSON. A VAD Nurse. Drowned 31/12/17.

Is this the only example of two brothers and a sister?

Three EDWARDS brothers from Buckland, near Reigate in Surrey.

Arthur EDWARDS. KIA 4th April 1916

James EDWARDS. DOW 1st Feb 1917

Charles Herbert EDWARDS. KIA 27th Sept 1918.

And finally the ANDERSON brothers featured in this years Cenotaph Remembrance Sunday programme.

Charlie ANDERSON. KIA 19/12/14

Ronnie ANDERSON. KIA 8/10/15

Teddy ANDERSON. DOW 16/3/18

Bertie ANDERSON VC. KIA 25/3/18

Bertie had children and I know his Grand daughter. Her brother featured in the programme and has written a book, 'The Way Home', based on their letters and their mothers. A wonderful book. (Troubador Publishing)

My 4 great uncles , all brothers from Glasgow, were killed Matthew SINCLAIR kia 1914 ,

Joseph SINCLAIR dow 1916

Colin SINCLAIR kia1916

Henry SINCLAIR kia1916

I have the book you mentioned THE WAY HOME, an amazing book, The first time I read it , I realised that Charlie Anderson was in the same regiment as Matthew Sinclair HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY, though Charlie was an officer, His letters describing how they were in India and the regiment's journey to the trenches were so interesting , Then I discovered that Charlie Anderson and Matthew Sinclair were killed on the same day.

• 3 weeks later...

sheena2jura. how sad, a truely devastating time for your family.

Best wishes with your research.

KB.

• 3 weeks later...

Three from Liverpool, found thanks to a searchable online transcript of memorial inscriptions at Toxteth Park Cemetery;

WILSON, JOHN ARTHUR, Lance Corporal, 29748, 28/01/1917, 29

Royal Engineers, 3rd Air Line Sect.

Grave Reference 789. SALONIKA (LEMBET ROAD) MILITARY CEMETERY

Son of John and Ellen Wilson, of Liverpool; husband of Aloise E. Wilson, of 39, Kingsdale Rd., Mossley Hill, Liverpool.

WILSON, ALFRED CHARLES, Private, 58531, 21/09/1918, 19

Lancashire Fusiliers, 2nd/5th Bn.

Grave Reference III. E. 28., HOUCHIN BRITISH CEMETERY

Son of Mr. and Mrs. John Wilson, of 9, Granby St., Liverpool.

WILSON, WILLIAM GEORGE, Private, 18892, 08/10/1918, 28

The King's (Liverpool Regiment), 18th Bn.

Grave Reference V. A. 20., BUSIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Son of Mr. J. Wilson, of Liverpool; husband of Mrs. D. E. Wilson, of 109/8, 74th St., Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Daggers

Three more from Liverpool, officers this time, found via the same source as the Wilson brothers on the previous post:

WARRINGTON, GARFIELD, Lieutenant, 18/08/1917, Army Service Corps,

II. C. 12., BERTENACRE MILITARY CEMETERY, FLETRE

Son of Mrs. M. E. Warrington, of 39, Parkfield Rd., Princes Park, Liverpool, and the late J. T. Warrington.

WARRINGTON, FRANCIS ARNOLD, Lieutenant, 07/10/1916, 43

Royal Field Artillery, 148th Bde.

Grave Reference IX. L. 6., GUARDS' CEMETERY, LESBOEUFS

Son of Mrs. Warrington, of 39, Parkfield Rd., Princes Park, Liverpool, and the late Mr. J. T. Warrington.

WARRINGTON, HAROLD GORDON, Lieutenant, 06/12/1917, 33

Royal Field Artillery, 63rd Anti-Aircraft Sect.

Grave Reference Plot 1. Row G. Grave 9., GIAVERA BRITISH CEMETERY, ARCADE

Son of Mr. J. T. and Margaret E. Warrington, of Liverpool.

We will remember them

Daggers

Edited 30 Jan 2018 to add:

The death of an elder half-brother, Captain William  Barnett Warrington, RAMC, on 2 Feb 1919  is also recorded by CWGC.  He did not serve overseas but was on the staff of hospitals in Liverpool.

Edited by daggers
later information

• 3 months later...

Pals

I visited my sisters grave yesterday like I do every 2 weeks. This head stone caught my eye.

IMG_1243_zpsd4fb2c28.jpg

BENNETT, H Rank: Private Service No: 36476 Date of Death: 13/04/1919 Age: 26 Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment Grave Reference West of Church. Cemetery BURWARDSLEY (ST. JOHN THE DIVINE) CHURCHYARD Additional Information:

Son of William and Ann Bennett, of Burwardsley.

Bennett William Rank: Private Service No:36477 Date of Death:31/08/1917 Age:39 Regiment/Service:Cheshire Regiment12th Bn. Grave Reference:D. 546. Cemetery: SARIGOL MILITARY CEMETERY, KRISTON Additional Information: Son of William and Ann Bennett, of Burwardsley, Chester.

BENNETT, JOHN Rank: Private Service No: 36484 Date of Death: 19/09/1918 Age: 24 Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment 12th Bn. Panel Reference Memorial DOIRAN MEMORIAL Additional Information:

Son of William and Anne Bennett, of Burwardsley, Tattenhall, Chester.

I was very close to where that little church is recently Atnomis, at little Budworth..... I will have to seek it out, Thanks for posting.. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I was very close to where that little church is recently Atnomis, at little Budworth..... I will have to seek it out, Thanks for posting.. :thumbsup:

Your welcome

Interesting that the family deem William to have died in Salonica. He has no papers that I can see. His medal roll shows RWF 9th Bn (France), His CWGC shows 9th Bn buried Reading and his SDGW shows Died, Home.

Hywyn

Interesting that the family deem William to have died in Salonica. He has no papers that I can see. His medal roll shows RWF 9th Bn (France), His CWGC shows 9th Bn buried Reading and his SDGW shows Died, Home.

Hywyn

I htink you have the wrong chap. This man buried at Sarigol has the matching date of death. http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/331642/BENNETT,%20WILLIAM

SDGW has him as DIED

Keith