The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Three Sons Killed in Action"

Guest mruk

Three Leeds lads.

Name: DYE, FREDERICK

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/05/1915

Service No: 2235

Additional information: Son of Robert and Ada A. Dye, of Wortley, Leeds.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. B. 14.

Cemetery: AUBERS RIDGE BRITISH CEMETERY, AUBERS

Name: DYE, OSBORNE

Initials: O

Regiment/Service: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit Text: Plymouth Bn. R.N. Div

Date of Death: 06/06/1915

Service No: PLY/142(S)

Additional information: Son of Robert and Ada A. Dye, of 41, Green Hill Lane, Wortley, Leeds. Native of Low Wortley.

A railwayman.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sp. Mem. A. 47.

Cemetery: REDOUBT CEMETERY, HELLES

Name: DYE, HARRY

Initials: H

Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/11/1917

Service No: 44194

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. M. 4.

Cemetery: OXFORD ROAD CEMETERY

• 8 months later...

On a recent visit I came across these three brothers commemorated on a headstone in Aldershot Military Cemetery

post-5512-1217413693.jpg

It was saddening to see that the first son of this poor woman, Frederick Henry, was killed so very shortly after the death of her husband in October'14. The inclusion of a daughter who had died in 1897, aged 12 makes this commemoration all the more sadder.

This burial, being of the father, is one of only a few in this particular plot that is of not of a GW (CWGC listed) casualty (the others appear to be those of either retired, non-GW related military men, or those who had had connections with Aldershot Camp, who had died towards the end of 1914).

The 1901 census gives a fourth son, Percy D J, who was then aged 9 months and would probably have served towards the end of the war (I haven't been able to find a MIC that can be definitely said to be him) he doesn't appear in the CWGC listings so possibly survived)

NigelS

Name: MILLS, FREDERICK HENRY

Initials: F H

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 24/10/1914

Service No: 8071

Additional information: Son of Mrs Edith Mills, of 115, Grosvenor Rd., Aldershot. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 19 and 33.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Name: MILLS

Initials: B J H

Regiment/Service: Hampshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 23/04/1917

Service No: 27655

Additional information: Son of Edith Mills, of 115, Grosvenor Rd., Aldershot, and the late James Mills. Born at Alton, Hants.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. E. 6.

Cemetery: MONCHY BRITISH CEMETERY, MONCHY-LE-PREUX

Name: MILLS, WILFRED HIRAM

Initials: W H

Regiment/Service: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 26/10/1917

Service No: 22735

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 23 to 28 and 163A.

Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Mrs Susannah Harrison of Western Australia lost her three sons Albert, Ernest and Arthur almost exactly one month after each other in July, August and September of 1916. Those must have been the worse three months of her life.

When the last of her sons, Arthur, went missing in action at the battle of Mouquet Farm on September 3rd 1916, she wrote to the RCWM desperately seeking any information about his whereabouts, stating 'I have lost two sons in France, one in July and one in August so am naturally very uneasy about this one'. Unfortunately, his body was never recovered and he was later classified as KIA on 3.9.16.

Their details are;

Albert John Smith, 1364, 51st Bttn, died of shell wounds, 5th July 1916, aged 23

Ernest Sidney Smith, 3280, 28th Battn, died of GSW wounds on 4th - 6th August 1916 aged 27

Arthur Henry Smith, 2452, 51st Bttn, missing in action, 3rd September 1916 aged 33

My heart goes out to their brave mother and what she must have endured. With four boys of my own I can't even begin to imagine the emptiness.

Elle.

• 1 year later...

We should add the three DONALDSON Brothers

Donaldson John 18958 Rifleman 26 B 13th (Service) Battalion Royal Irish Rifles (County Down) Donaldson Samuel 18959 Rifleman 21 B 13th (Service) Battalion Royal Irish Rifles (County Down) Donaldson James 18960 Rifleman 23 B 13th (Service) Battalion Royal Irish Rifles (County Down)

As well as the three Hobbs Brothers.

Hobbs Andrew 14259 Private 38 9th (Service) Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria's) Hobbs David 14305 Private ? 9th (Service) Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria's) Hobbs Robert 14302 Serjeant ? 9th (Service) Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria's)

I've just found this thread and can add a number of families from Morayshire (old county boundaries):-

Farquharson - linked to Knockando in Morayshire

James - Canadians - 2/3/16

Nathaniel - Royal Marine Light Infantry - 31/5/16

Donald - canadians - 6/11/17

J. - Royal Naval reserve - 15/2/18

Rodgers - Elgin

David - 2nd Seaforths - DoW 6/15

Arthur - 7th Seaforths - KIA 10/17

Frederick - RAMC - DoW 8/19

Royan - Findhorn

Donald - 9/5/15

Angus - 2nd Seaforths - 1/7/16

James - South African Scottish - 11/12/16

Griffen - Forres

Archibald - KIA 9/4/17

William - KIA 13/10/17

James - DoW 11/17

Catto - Elgin

David - 15/6/15

John - DoW 7/9/17

James - 29/12/17

MacDonald - Elgin

John - 9/14

James - DoW 3/15

Charlie - KIA 13/11/16

Garden - Dyke

Norman - 6th Seaforths - 25/9/15

Duncan - RAF - 7/18

James - Canadian RAF - 17/10/18

Calder - Dava Station

William - 6th Seaforths - 15/9/15

Andrew - 5th Camerons - 25/9/15

Donald - 5th Camerons - 12/10/17

Calder - Elgin

Alexander - 6th Seaforths - 9/4/17

James - Canadians - DoW 1/11/17

Patrick - 2nd Seaforths - KIA 8/8/18

McDonald - Relugas

James - Australians - KIA 29/7/16

William - Gordon Highlanders - 7/17

Malcolm - Gordon Highlanders - KIA 9/17

Shand - Archiestown

Alexander - Canadians - KIA 24/10/17

Donald - Canadians - 9/18

James - Mounted Police - 1/12/18

If you want any further detail on these men, just let me know.

Jill

I've just realised that the information I gave you from Morayshire was incomplete - some more families -

Cheyne - Elgin

John - Cameron Highlanders - 17/5/15

James - Canadians - DoW 4/18

William - 11/4/17

Stewart - Elgin

David - New Zealand Forces - 9/15

James - 6th Seaforths - KIA 6/17

George - Canadians - DoW 4/18

Stewart - Lossiemouth

Joseph - Seaforth Highlanders - KIA 7/17

Alexander - RND - 10/18

John - 7/16

Murray - Sanquhar

William - Royal Scots - 5/16

Alexander - Royal Scots - 9/4/17

James - Royal Scots - 10/18

Munro - Grantown

John - 6th Seaforths - 15/6/15

James - Seaforth Highlanders - 23/4/17

George - Cameron Highlanders - 24/7/18

Cameron - Rothes

William - Gordon Highlanders - 2/3/16

Ronald - 7/16

Alistair - 23/12/18

There are a couple of other families to add to this sad toll, but I'll need to take some time to decipher my notes!

Jill

Can I add three more brothers from Bradford, or rather from what was then the small village of Greengates just outside the city. They all feature on the Greengates War Memorial.

RHODES, ALBERT

Initials: A

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Machine Gun Corps

Unit Text: 16th Coy

Date of Death: 31/10/1917

Service No: 174381

Additional information: Son of Thomas Edmund Rhodes, of 810, Harrogate Rd., Greengates, Bradford, Yorks., England; husband of Letitia M. Rhodes, of 141, Bold St. Hamilton, Ontario.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 32.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Name: RHODES, CHARLES

Initials: C

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Secondary Regiment: Labour Corps

Secondary Unit Text: transf. to (477309) 938th Area Employment Coy.

Date of Death: 31/05/1918

Service No: 1447

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. T. Rhodes, of 810, Harrogate Rd., Greengates, Bradford, Yorks.

Grave/Memorial Reference: LXVII. E. 6.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: RHODES, FRED

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry (Central Ontario Regiment)

Unit Text: 116th Bn.

Date of Death: 19/11/1917

Service No: 690757

Additional information: Son of Thomas Edmund and Martha Ann Rhodes, of 810, Harrogate Rd., Greengates, Bradford.

Grave/Memorial Reference: New part. 2.

Cemetery: ECCLESHILL METHODIST BURIAL GROUND

The third son listed Fred, appears on the local War Memorial and in most items such as census records as "William Alfred Rhodes"

The families fourth son, Samuel appears to have survived the war.

There is a report in one of the local papers, The Shipley Times and Express of the 21 June 1918

WARS TRIPLE TOLL AT GREENGATES THREE BROTHERS FALL IN FIVE MONTHS. Mr. And Mrs. Tom Rhodes, of Harrogate Road, Greengates, have now lost three sons in the war, information having been received by them a few days ago that Charles, their third son had fallen in France. The other two sons were also killed in action, and all three have lost their lives in the last five months. The youngest son is with the colours in France.

Fred, or William AlFRED, was not KIA, as he died in a war hospital in the UK, and is buried in a Bradford cemetery. I am waiting for his papers from the Canadian archives, and it would seem to be that he died of wounds.

Keith

Aw, c'mon Keith - it's a bit harsh to be picky about the term "Killed in Action" for Fred....

If he Died of Wounds they could have been sustained "in Action" just that he lingered longer than his pals buried on the battlefield.

It's around the time of Passchendaele which the Canadian Corps took on 6th November in some of the worst fighting and weather conditions......

It is a NEWSPAPER report after all, and we know they aren't always accurate...... I'm sure that at the time few would have said that to Mrs Rhodes face!

Kevin

Picky I may be, but if he died back in the UK, then I reckon its Died of Wounds. I have now found one of my other cuttings, that I hadn't yet typed into my spreadsheet and therefore overlooked when I made my earlier post.

Shipley Times and Express 30.11.1917 "We regret to have to record the death of Mr. Fred Rhodes, eldest son of Mr. Tom Rhodes, Harrogate Road, Greengates who died last Monday as the result of wounds received in France. Fred Rhodes went out to Canada 16 years ago. Joining the forces there he came over to the Continent with the Canadian Highlanders. He has been home in Greengates on short leave. He has three brothers serving, one having enlisted in Canada and the others in England. He was an old Wesleyan Sunday School boy having been connected with the Greengates Wesleyans. A military funeral will probably be held on Saturday."

So far I have found no report of the funeral. The wording of this report could imply that he might have resumed service after his wounds, although I have now found references in other files to soldiers on "hospital leave". I have ordered his papers from the Canadian Archives which might settle this one once they arrive.

Keith

• 3 months later...

My Three great Uncles;

Name: Howard Crich

Date of Death: 22 April 1915

Regiment: Sherwood Forresters

Type: Died at Home

Name: Albert Crich

Date of Death: 28 August 1916

Regiment: Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Type: KIA

Name: Jess Crich

Date of Death: 31 March 1916

Regiment: RFA

Type: KIA

Regards,

Paul.

Further to my Post 110

Fred Rhodes was injured at Third Ypres serving in the 116th Canadian Infantry at the beginning of the last phase of Third Ypres just before the Canadians attacked Paschendaele. He was brought back to the UK and died in hospital in East London some three weeks later having never recovered from severe head injuries.. I now have his full record from the Canadian archives.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
I have recently been looking at Haifa War Cemetery for the second part of a virtual tour [see http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=66037]

There I have come across the representatives of two families who between them sacrificed 7 sons who I do not think have been mentioned here so far

BURCHETT, EDWIN Initials: E Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment/Service: Wiltshire Regiment Unit Text: 1st/4th Bn. Age: 40 Date of Death: 01/11/1918 Service No: 220046 Additional information: Son of William and Eliza Burchett, of Pot Common, Elstead, Godalming Surrey; husband of the late Ellen Maud Burchett. His brothers, Arthur and Cecil (sic) also fell.

On Edwin's headstone the family has had inscribed 'Rest in the Lord'.

His brothers were;

BURCHETT, ARTHUR Initials: A Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Serjeant Regiment/Service: Coldstream Guards Unit Text: 1st Bn. Age: 24 Date of Death: 14/09/1914 Service No: 7882 Additional information: Son of William and Eliza Burchett, of Pot Common, Elstead, Godalming, Surrey. His brothers, Cecil (sic) and Edwin also fell. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: I. F. 3. Cemetery: Vailly British Cemetery

(There seems to have been an error on the part of the CWGC regarding the third brother's Christian name – for Cecil read Colin)

BURCHETT, COLIN Initials: C Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment Unit Text: 17th Bn. Age: 24 Date of Death: 11/12/1917 Service No: G/48086 Additional information: Son of William and Eliza Burchett, of Pot Common, Elstead, Godalming, Surrey. His brothers, Arthur and Edwin also fell. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: I. E. 14. Cemetery: Lebucquiere Communal Cemetery Extension

And the second family:

LYNN, JAMES Initials: J Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Serjeant Regiment/Service: Royal Army Service Corps Unit Text: 906th Coy. Age: 37 Date of Death: 07/08/1920 Service No: EMT/57074 Additional information: Son of James and Elizabeth Lynn, of Mousetown, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone. One of four brothers who died on service, two of whom are buried in Belgium, one in France.

On James' headstone the family has had inscribed 'Forever with the Lord'.

His brothers were;

LYNN, JOHN Initials: J Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Unit Text: 1st Bn. Age: 26 Date of Death: 09/08/1916 Service No: 4471 Additional information: Son of James and Elizabeth Lynn, of Mousetown, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone. One of four brothers who died on service during the First World War; two of whom are buried in Belgium, one in France and the fourth in Israel. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: VII. D. 32A. Cemetery: Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery

LYNN, ROBERT Initials: R Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Driver Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery Unit Text: 87th Bty. Age: 30 Date of Death: 06/08/1915 Service No: 45206 Additional information: Son of James and Elizabeth Lynn, of Mousetown, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone, Ireland. One of four brothers who died on service during the First World War; two are buried in Belgium, one in France and the fourth is buried in Israel. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot I. Row E. Grave 9. Cemetery: Hop Store Cemetery

LYNN, WILLIAM EDWARD Initials: W E Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Serjeant Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Fusiliers Unit Text: 1st Bn. Age: 21 Date of Death: 17/07/1916 Service No: 5700 Additional information: Son of James and Elizabeth Lynn, of Mousetown, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone. One of four brothers who died on service, two are buried in Belgium, one in France and the fourth in Israel. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: II. F. 4. Cemetery: Auchonvillers Military Cemetery

James Lynn was according to local people from Coalisland, removed from front line duty and posted to Israel because his 3 brothers had already been killed. Sadly he died from disease.

Has anyone ever heard of this type of action been taken before??

Wesley Wright

• 1 year later...

Hi,

After searching for my relatives I've finally found some information. I was wondering which local paper shayman used to find information on the Riley brothers. Francis is my great grandfather.

I haven't passed the 5 posts yet so can't contact him directly (now only 4 to go though :thumbsup:)

Three more sons lost in action would be the Bumstead brothers listed below

Lance Corporal Harry Bumstead 1st Btn East Yorkshire Regiment Died 20/09/1914

Private John Bumstead 1st Btn Suffolk Regiment Died 24/04/1915

Corporal William Bumstead 35th Machine Gun Corp Died 13/05/1917

I have done some research into their deaths but any press archives , pictures would be greatly appreciated .

Many Thanks

Darren

• 5 months later...

Three men from Leeds, one buried in France, one in Belgium, one in Gallipoli. I have visited all three.

Name: DYE, OSBORNE

Initials: O

Regiment/Service: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit Text: Plymouth Bn. R.N. Div

Date of Death: 06/06/1915

Service No: PLY/142(S)

Additional information: Son of Robert and Ada A. Dye, of 41, Green Hill Lane, Wortley, Leeds. Native of Low Wortley. A railwayman.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sp. Mem. A. 47.

Cemetery: REDOUBT CEMETERY, HELLES

Name: DYE, FREDERICK

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/05/1915

Service No: 2235

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. B. 14.

Cemetery: AUBERS RIDGE BRITISH CEMETERY, AUBERS

Name: DYE, HARRY

Initials: H

Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/11/1917

Service No: 44194

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. M. 4.

Cemetery: OXFORD ROAD CEMETERY

post-89590-0-31422300-1335270562.jpg

I am the grand-daughter of William Nelson Dye (Private 36344, 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment) whose 3 brothers Frederick, Harry and Osborne Dye feature on your site

I hope this image of their memorial is of interest. This joint memorial to the three brothers and their parents is located in Lower Wortley Cemetery, Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK.

(William Nelson Dye was born in 1889; he survived the war and lived to the age of 78, being interred at Lawnswood Crematorium in Leeds.)

swedwards1:

Nice image of the Dye stone--very poignant. Thanks for posting.

Chris

These three men were brothers as well:

JONES, ARTHUR EDWARD

Service No:10771

Date of Death:30/07/1915

Regiment/Service:Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

"D" Coy. 6th Bn.

Panel ReferencePanel 20.

MemorialYPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of Henry Joseph and Emma Ann Jones, of 127, Holmesdale Rd., South Norwood, London.

JONES, HERBERT VICTOR

Service No:9589

Date of Death:08/05/1917

1st Bn.

Panel ReferenceBay 6.

MemorialARRAS MEMORIAL

JONES, ARCHIBALD FRANCIS

Service No:683976

Date of Death:07/10/1916

Regiment/Service:London Regiment

1st/22nd Bn.

Panel ReferencePier and Face 9 D 9 C 13 C and 12 C.

MemorialTHIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Thanks Chris, I was pleased to have somewhere to share this image. It's so shocking how many boys from same families were killed.

Sue

swedwards1:

Nice image of the Dye stone--very poignant. Thanks for posting.

Chris

These three men were brothers as well:

JONES, ARTHUR EDWARD

Service No:10771

Date of Death:30/07/1915

"D" Coy. 6th Bn.

Panel ReferencePanel 20.

MemorialYPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of Henry Joseph and Emma Ann Jones, of 127, Holmesdale Rd., South Norwood, London.

JONES, HERBERT VICTOR

Service No:9589

Date of Death:08/05/1917

1st Bn.

Panel ReferenceBay 6.

MemorialARRAS MEMORIAL

JONES, ARCHIBALD FRANCIS

Service No:683976

Date of Death:07/10/1916

Regiment/Service:London Regiment

1st/22nd Bn.

Panel ReferencePier and Face 9 D 9 C 13 C and 12 C.

MemorialTHIEPVAL MEMORIAL

• 2 months later...

One Australian Mother in Gippsland, Victoria, Australia lost two sons and two grandsons in the Great War. She had brought one of grandsons up as 'one of her own' so effectively three brothers.

MORLEY, George Thomas, Private 4479 05/08/1916 30 Australian Infantry, A.I.F. Australian Pozieres, VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MEMORIAL

MORLEY, Robert Herbert, Trooper 1501 31/10/1917 26 Australian Light Horse Australian D. 37. BEERSHEBA WAR CEMETERY

MORLEY, Ernest Edward, Private 5882 14/05/1917 28 Australian Infantry, A.I.F. Australian P. II. J. 6B. ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

CLEAVER, Gordon Herbert, Private 4161A 21/08/1916 21 Australian Pioneers Australian VIII. G. 14. COURCELETTE BRITISH CEMETERY

Such a waste of young lives ....

I noticed an Ebay auction last week for three death plaques and three BWMs, which had a line in the items' description to the effect that each of the soldiers had qualified for the BWM alone. I thought this odd so I did a bit of research and found the following:

10653 Pte L Curtis, Hamps Regt KIA 10 Aug 15, Gallipoli, age 17

10747 Pte F Curtis, Hamps Regt KIA 13 Aug 15, Gallipoli, age 26

10743 Pte G.H. Curtis, Hamps Regt KIA 13 Aug 15, Gallipoli, age 22

Sons of Frederick Charles and Elizabeth Curtis, of "Mayfield," Moorgreen Rd., West End, Southampton, all three commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

Notice the Regimental numbering, with the youngest son with the lowest number and the two older blokes only three apart, presumably in the recruiting queue.

• 1 month later...

I have some from other countries:

French general Noel De Castelnau hads 3 sons killed in WW I I have read that he liked to begin staff conferences by reading out the names of regular army officers under his command who were killed in action. One day he choked when he read out the name of one of his sons. At least thats what I read some years ago i may be wrong.

Russian Vera Papavera had 3 officer sons killed in WW I for which in 1916 she was the only woman to receave the St Olga sign for Merit. Autherized by the tsar in 1914 for women who made a major contribution to the war effort. I don't know what happened to her.

On the BBC documentary "The Great War" they mention a german woman who had 5 sons killed in WW I whose mind snaped and was being taken to a asylem.

• 6 months later...

Reference the 5 (out of 6) Smith Brothers killed from Barnard Castle for anyone interested (posts by Jarvis 28 Dec 2006 and Linge 2 Jan 2007)

I have been researching the 6th Brother Wilfred Smith who although survived, did not do so unscathed. He may have served with my grandfather (36338 Robert W Young) in 7 KOYLI.

A Private Smith W 36324 KOYLI from Barnard Castle was posted wounded in the War Office Weekly Casualty list entry for the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry on 25th Oct 1917.

Cross referencing this with the large number of other 7 KOYLI men posted wounded on the same date, surviving service records and the war diary, it is proable that he was gassed at Langemarck on the 23rd/24th Sept - where the KOYLI were in support of the Rifle Bde and KRRC who had attacked and captured Eagle Trench early on the 23rd. The War Diary notes that all the Officers from A and B Company were blinded by the gas, so it is also probable that a large number of the men posted wounded were also blinded.

Research on the KOYLI number sequence 36311-36339 suggests that Wilfred was deemed enlisted in the summer of 1916, along with the others all born in 1898, mobilised into 90th TR Bn at Seaton Sluice in Feb 1917 and embarked for France on 19th Aug 1917, joining 37 IBD before being transferred to the KOYLI and posted to 7KOYLI on 29 Aug 1917.

He lasted only 3 weeks in the trenches.

Any other info on him welcome