Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rarest book?

Audax

What would pals say was their most hard to find or the rarest printed book on a World War One related subject?

:unsure:

History of the 7th Service Battalion Yorks and Lancs Regiment (Pioneers),my Grandfather served with the Regiment.Book was printed in 1921,still searching.

John,

You need to keep your eyes wider open on ebay - a set of 1918 vols 3, 4 and 5 (maps and everything) went for £150 or so recently - less than you might well pay for a copy of The Worcestershire Regt in the Great War, an item which does crop up from time to time but the Worcesters is such a fine volume that anyone who sees it usually covets it. As regards OHs the Italian volume in the original printing is a real rarity, though I have seen a couple of copies for sale over the years.

If there are real rareties I would have to say that they are association copies of volumes which might (or might not) otherwise be quite common. One item I treasure for this very reason is an anthology of WW2 poetry with a dedication from the editor (and poet) to a man known and loved as "Tubby". It had, apparently, sat for some years on the shelves of a good second hand bookshop in what might be regarded as a reasonably "bookish" town. It finally found a good home.

I did bid one this particular set of books, went to a dealer, although i just require vol 5 to complete my set for the western front i would have taken them all

regards john

• 2 weeks later...

"In the shadow of lone tree" the story of the 10th battalion (service) gloucestershire regiment only out of print 10 years or so but nothing maybe it is just rare in OZ!! :lol:

Never thought it was rare and I have a couple of copies, but have you seen how much John Harris, Covenant with Death is going for these days?

Mick

Bought a hard back copy, in reasonable condition, from the shop at Delville Wood back in June for 10 Euros.

30 quid on abebooks and only one copy in UK!

Just think of what you could do with the money you save!

TR

A man after my own heart. I recently bough Atkinson's history of the SWB for £85. I did point out to Mrs B that I had saved £40, as Tom Donovan had it listed at £125, but it went down like the proverbial flightless balloon. Women, eh? The really odd thing is that she's got it into her head that I only paid £75, so as far as she's concerned I saved even more!!!

On topic, I'm finding it blindingly difficult to track down a copy of Ponsonby's Grenadier Guards (original, not the N&M reprint). If I could find it, I probably wouldn't be allowed to buy it, but at least 'd be able to try the usual tactics...begging, sulking, not eating my tea

Lonsdale Battalion 1914-1918, by Colin Bardgett.

Took me 4 years to get a copy :o

Edited by Chris_Baker

A Soldiers War by Arthur Cook - 1st SLI

Edited by G N Molesworth- Goodman 1957

Never even seen one advertised but have managed to get a photo copy-

Arthur Cook went on to be Chief Warder at the Tower of London

Brian

"In the shadow of lone tree" the story of the 10th battalion (service) gloucestershire regiment only out of print 10 years or so but nothing maybe it is just rare in OZ!! :lol:

on e-bay last week!

A Soldiers War by Arthur Cook - 1st SLI

Edited by G N Molesworth- Goodman 1957

Never even seen one advertised but have managed to get a photo copy-

Arthur Cook went on to be Chief Warder at the Tower of London

Brian

Just managed to get a copy about a momth ago! searched for 5 years

regards John

In my own area of interest, Handelskrieg mit U-Booten, Volume 5 — this is the German official history series of the submarine war against merchant shipping. Volume 5 covers 1918. Rare, and in very high demand.

Best wishes,

Michael

on e-bay last week!

Damn and I check it regularly but of course the one week 'er indoors says no buying anything of ebay we need to buy groceries !! :D

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, I still haven't got my book. Three times the shipment has been delayed for the reprint. I guess if I've waited 20 odd years, I can wait a few months more!

Paul

• Admin

Finding a copy of Last of the Ebb was problematical for a while before Tom Morgan helped. I guess that is the rarest book I have tried to find.

Never thought it was rare and I have a couple of copies, but have you seen how much John Harris, Covenant with Death is going for these days?

Mick

[/quote

There is a copy for auction on Ebay,price is now £10.50,reckon it will go for little bit more.

Joan

• 1 year later...

The Collingwood Battalion RND.

The Battalion appeared twice in battle: once at Antwerp, most ending the war as POWs or internees. After rebirth went into battle once on Gallipoli and were almost annihilated. They were then disbanded. Very short, very sad war record

From my own area of interest: History of the 6th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment, Volume II 2/6th Battalion, by Capt E C Gregory. I have a copy, bought from a relative of one of the Bradford Pals, but I have not yet seen another one for sale anywhere.

The Battalion appeared twice in battle: once at Antwerp, most ending the war as POWs or internees. After rebirth went into battle once on Gallipoli and were almost annihilated. They were then disbanded. Very short, very sad war record

on e-bay about a week ago went for £75.00

reards John

on e-bay about a week ago went for £75.00

reards John

"A soldier's notebook," by Brusilov. Have been looking for a copy since I was 18--finally ordered a new printing that just came out. Only took 23 years :P

Another is, "With the Russian Army," by Alfred Knox. It can be found in the library, but in ten years of searching I've never seen a copy for sale.

Paul

Brusilov I have at least seen in a library (a mid 70s or 80s reprint from memory).

Knox can be downloaded for free here

I've never seen a copy of Octavian Tăslăuanu's With the Austrian Army in Galicia in any library (New York, British Library for example) or on online booksellers, yet it's frequently quoted in books on the Eastern Front.

What would pals say was their most hard to find or the rarest printed book on a World War One related subject?

:unsure:

The history of the seventh (service) battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment

According to COPAC, which aggregates the catalogues of various academic & copyright libraries in the British Isles, the National Library of Scotland, the British Library & Cambridge University Library all have Octavian Tăslăuanu's With the Austrian Army in Galicia. I've checked the NLS catalogue & it definitely shows it as available. Unfortunately you can't borrow from the NLS but can only consult books on site.

Thanks for searching Gibbo. That's been my experience too; the only copies I can find in the UK are non-lending :( There are a few copies of the French version available on abebooks though...

In general locally produced, locally or smaller especially non-combattant unit and home front war related publications especially pamphlets, brochures and the like in or for CANADA and the CEF. Similarily in Great Britain for the CEF as well but then British booksellers love EVERYTHING (anitquarian traditions seen in a positive light!). Poetry, recruiting meetings, patriotic concerts and dramas, reports from war charity organizations. Microfilm, computers and now digitization have drastically reduced the researcher's needs to consult originals but still for the collector AND for those unrecorded items.....

John

Toronto