Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lack of people wearing poppies?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Also, I was highly annoyed to read in our local news, that a Poppy Seller had been 'moved on' by the Mall Security Guards after a shop owner had complained he was 'putting off potential customers' and that it was like ' having a vagrant squatting in her shop doorway' !!!!!!! :angry:

I hope the 'publicity' has done wonders for her sales!

Stupid cow - apologies to the four legged variety.

Ian

Maybe its me but I find the 100% wearing of poppies by presenters on TV almost as disconcerting as the large number of people not wearing a poppy. I cannot imagine that all are doing so completely voluntarily - which to me defeats the object of the exercise. However, I would be more than happy to be corrected.

Neil

About a week ago I noticed someone on a talk show not wearing a poppy, although his wife and the presenter did.

IIRC this was the Jonathan Ross Show and the husband and wife team were some sort of pop singers.

The lack of poppy really stood out. the man in question was southern Irish, which probably explains the lack of poppy.

Maybe its me but I find the 100% wearing of poppies by presenters on TV almost as disconcerting as the large number of people not wearing a poppy. I cannot imagine that all are doing so completely voluntarily - which to me defeats the object of the exercise. However, I would be more than happy to be corrected.

Hi Neil:

This also happens in Canada. Come November 1, all the news, sports, and weather presenters are wearing poppies. Personally, I like to see this as it acts as a reminder to their audience.

I haven't noticed a lack of poppies being sold or people wearing poppies in Vancouver. On Thursday (my first day back at work after being off sick for 10 days) I noticed about 25% of the newsroom staff wearing poppies. By Monday the 11th, this will go up to about 60%.

We publish a newspaper on the 12th. It'll be interesting to see if Remembrance Day will be featured on the front page. It wasn't last year. :(

Garth

Re: my last post, I've just noticed this in the latest issue. A partial result but how ridiculous that in the run up to Armistice Day there won't be any Poppy Sellers in the Mall because the R.N.L.I has booked the pitch!!!

post-8-1068321928.jpg

Hussar,

When I first read your posting I assumed The Mall referred to was the famous thoroughfare in London and got really wound up. Fareham Shopping Centre is a different ballgame but still a bit cheeky of the RNLI to half hitch the pitch on Armistice Day. That said, I am sure that the gent in Fareham will now clean up. I will try to get my Fareham based brother to take him a contribution.

It seems to me that this year there is a real apathy towards wearing a poppy. I have been to London twice this week and cannot believe how few poppies I have seen, I have also noticed it at work as well. I suppose it is a case of each to his (her) own, and we are in a society where you've got the right to choice whether or not you wear a poppy.

Ultimately it's having that choice what many gave their life for...............so we shouldn't really worry too much about it.