Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lack of people wearing poppies?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

In Western Australia at least I don't think the Poppy sellers start selling them till Friday.

Normally it's the people from Legacy and the RSL (Returned & Services League)who are out on the street selling them.

this'll make you laugh - or scratch your head in disbelieve ......

Lady I work with, her Dad is Grand PooBahh of RBL Oxford, and I'm doing a little work for him printing up new versions of annual conference invites that are a little easier on the eye for the more mature members (ehem!)

Anyway, she brought me back the proofs I did for him and was saying that he reads, ever year, at the big ceremony they have at the war memorial in the centre of Oxford.

Apparently, he was talking to someone the other day, telling them about these invites I'd cobbled together for him and he told this person that I've added the Poppy with the blue legend behind it ----- this peson said to him 'how come the RBL don't offer white poppies for rememberance day?'

I ask you!!??!!

Next thing you know, they'll be hopping on the busses and thrusting white feathers at us!

Some people have absolutely no idea.

I understand the pacifist movement and good on them for producing their own symbol for peace, but this person just thought that white would make a nice change from red and couldn't see the significance of the emblem at all

:blink:

Fleur

I am looking forward to find the first Poppy Appeal person as soon as I arrive to wear my RED poppy proudly. My office has poppies that are ways to start a conversation with my students, who often ask about the flowery interior decorating! I also use the RBL screensaver. Not only serves as a reminder every day, but it quite pretty, too!

Can I get one at Gatwick? Probably not, so my next stop on the way to Godstone will be in Reigate. I think I should be able to get one there!

Cynthia

Can I get one at Gatwick? Probably not, so my next stop on the way to Godstone will be in Reigate. I think I should be able to get one there!

Cynthia

Cynthia

My old 'stamping ground'.

In past years I think I have seen poppies for sale in the snack shop/newsagents -just before you cross over to the escalators that lead to the railway platforms.

If not, you will certainly find them on sale in Reigate and Godstone.

I'm probably being a little slow here but I saw something in a Poppy tray today that I've never seen before. There were two crescents, in the same material as the crosses but without a poppy or the wording, I've never seen one of these variants before, I presume there are also Star of David varients as well as the crescents.

How many varients are there, does anyone know?

I shake my head in disbelief!

Next they will be asking why the poppy!!

Apologies for the length of this, but I thought the ‘General’s’ question was worth a reply – not great poetry, but great meaning.

Sue

Why Wear a Poppy?

‘Please wear a poppy,’ the lady said,

And held one forth, but I shook my head,

Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there,

And her face was old and lined with care;

But beneath the scars the years had made

There remained a smile that refused to fade.

A boy came whistling down the street,

Bouncing along on care-free feet.

His smile was full of joy and fun,

‘Lady,’ he said, ‘may I have one?’

When she’d pinned it on, he turned to say;

‘Why do we wear a poppy today?’

The lady smiled in her wistful way

And answered; ‘This is Remembrance Day.

And the poppy there is a symbol for

The gallant men who died in war.

And because they did, you and I are free –

That’s why we wear a poppy, you see.

I had a boy about your size,

With golden hair and big blue eyes.

He loved to play and jump and shout,

Free as a bird, he would race about.

As the years went by, he learned and grew,

And became a man – as you will, too.

He was fine and strong, with a boyish smile,

But he’d seemed with us such a little while

When war broke out and he went away.

I still remember his face that day.

When he smiled at me and said, ‘Goodbye,

I’ll be back soon, Mum, please don’t cry.’

But the war went on and he had to stay,

And all I could do was wait and pray.

His letters told of the awful fight

With tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire,

And mines and bullets, the bombs and fire.

Till at last, at last, the war was won –

And that’s why we wear a poppy, son.’

the small boy turned as if to go,

Then said: ‘Thanks, lady, I’m glad to know.

That sure did sound like an awful fight,

But your son – did he come back all right?’

A tear rolled down each faded cheek;

She shook her head, but didn’t speak.

I slunk away in a sort of shame,

And if you were me, you’d have done the same;

For our thanks, in giving, is oft delayed,

Though our freedom was bought – and thousands paid!

And so, when we see a poppy worn,

Let us reflect on the burden borne

By those who gave their very all

When asked to answer their country’s call

That we at home in peace might live.

Then wear a poppy! Remember – and Give!

Lee

You asked about the number of variants of the poppy. We are all familiar with the simple red poppy, with or without leaf, the larger fancy variation which is similar to those made before WW2. The car poppy, the crescent and, yes, the Star of David. You can also get crosses made from poppies as well as the wreaths. Nowadays it is also posible to get crosses with unit emblems on them instead of poppies. The same can be said for wreaths. You can have a plain centre, an RBL centre or a unit emblem.

If it's possible to make it and somebody wants them then I daresay the RBL will make them.

Garth

Maybe its me but I find the 100% wearing of poppies by presenters on TV almost as disconcerting as the large number of people not wearing a poppy. I cannot imagine that all are doing so completely voluntarily - which to me defeats the object of the exercise. However, I would be more than happy to be corrected.

Neil

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I shake my head in disbelief!

Next they will be asking why the poppy!!

Apologies for the length of this, but I thought the ‘General’s’ question was worth a reply – not great poetry, but great meaning.

Sue

Why Wear a Poppy?

‘Please wear a poppy,’ the lady said,

And held one forth, but I shook my head,

Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there,

And her face was old and lined with care;

But beneath the scars the years had made

There remained a smile that refused to fade.

A boy came whistling down the street,

Bouncing along on care-free feet...

And so, when we see a poppy worn,

Let us reflect on the burden borne

By those who gave their very all

When asked to answer their country’s call

That we at home in peace might live.

Then wear a poppy! Remember – and Give!

Thank you Mam.

Ian ;)

You asked about the number of variants of the poppy. We are all familiar with the simple red poppy, with or without leaf, the larger fancy variation which is similar to those made before WW2. The car poppy, the crescent and, yes, the Star of David. You can also get crosses made from poppies as well as the wreaths. Nowadays it is also posible to get crosses with unit emblems on them instead of poppies. The same can be said for wreaths. You can have a plain centre, an RBL centre or a unit emblem.

If it's possible to make it and somebody wants them then I daresay the RBL will make them.

It's a bit of shame. I always thought a single type of poppy was a great unifying influence giving a strong message about a common loss, shared bereavment and equality of sacrifice in a struggle which united everyone. Different regimental and religious groups doing their own thing seems to go against that.

A young person I spoke to the other day said they wouldn't buy one as they thought it supported war!!!

I still don't think alot of people out there understand the concept and what poppy day is actually about.

Garth - Thanks for that mate.

I was a little suprised when I saw that some of my poopies, which I bought a few days ago, still had the 'Haig Fund' black centre whilst the others had varients of 'Poppy Appeal'.

I think it is a shame that there are now unit badges etc on some of the crosses, I think that the designs for the crosses and the poppies should be uniform.

It's a bit of shame. I always thought a single type of poppy was a great unifying influence giving a strong message about a common loss, shared bereavment and equality of sacrifice in a struggle which united everyone. Different regimental and religious groups doing their own thing seems to go against that.

Hedley

A very valid point, but apart from that how will the logistics of this new scheme work out?

I saw local poppy sellers out today. Apart from the "standard" poppy cross they were selling, for the first time here, crosses with unit emblems on them.

They had three types. The Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force, not a problem. The Army was only represented by a cross with the local "Notts & Derby" badge.

I wonder what % of people are still living in the same area that their family did in WW2, let alone WW1? Also, how many people joined the local regiment anyway?

I can only think of two ways to get round the supply problem. Maybe next year we could order poppy crosses, to required units, in advance?

Either that or stick to the type of crosses that have been on sale for years.

GEM

Mission accomplished

I had a look today to see how many people were wearing a poppy in Ludlow, sad to say not many of the under 30's or so were wearing them but most of the older age group had them.

And as for the different types of poppies - I have to agree with Hedley

a single type of poppy was a great unifying influence giving a strong message about a common loss, shared bereavment and equality of sacrifice in a struggle which united everyone
. I went to the remeberance service in Ludlow last year, and a lot of the big-wigs were wearing fancy poppies but I just thought to myself what are they trying to prove.

Annette

Beppo

I think you misunderstand the idea of the badges on the crosses. Any unit crest, whether it be army, navy or air force, can appear on the cross. If you want something special it can be done. The collector you saw probably carried that one design in the honest belief, rightly or wrongly, that that would be a best seller.

But as you so rightlyquestion, how relevant is that? Many men would have served in other regiments etc. Most collectors wont be carrying the 'badged' crosses. I think most of them are expected to be used by people visiting the graves in F and F; and elsewhere of course.

Some would say it's a nice touch others will disagree; but in the end we will all do our "remembering" in our own way.

On a personal note I'm glad your mission was successful. If you ever need help again just ask

Garth

a lot of the big-wigs were wearing fancy poppies but I just thought to myself what are they trying to prove

Annette, this practice for some reason really irritates me. Do those who choose to wear bigger poppies remember more or better than if they were wearing a standard one? It also appears to have been de rigeur this year for politicians and newsreaders to begin wearing poppies around October 15th. Does early wearing of poppies signify that the wearer remembers more or better?

No. In my opinion it is yet another case of silly oneupmanship as practiced all too often by middle class British.

Having got that off my chest, better a big poppy than none at all.

a lot of the big-wigs were wearing fancy poppies but I just thought to myself what are they trying to prove

Annette, this practice for some reason really irritates me. Do those who choose to wear bigger poppies remember more or better than if they were wearing a standard one?

Chris

I am not attempting to defend the 'bigwigs' but might I suggest you get hold of a copy of "Keeping Faith" the History of the RBL. The pictures in there show that the poppies manufactured in the 1920's were all big poppies. The 'small' poppy as we know and love it today appeared much later.

Garth

Maybe its me but I find the 100% wearing of poppies by presenters on TV almost as disconcerting as the large number of people not wearing a poppy. I cannot imagine that all are doing so completely voluntarily - which to me defeats the object of the exercise. However, I would be more than happy to be corrected.

Neil

Neil, I believe they have boxes of poppies at the studios and invite all those appearing on screen to wear one. (And I bet they insist that on-screen employees such as newsreaders wear them.) I read about this a year or so ago when a newspaper commented on the fact that someone due to appear as a guest on some programme (can't remember who it was) had refused.

Tom

In defence of the TV companies at least they all seem to promote the Poppy appeal through wearing poppies, reminding everyone that they should be contibuting to the poppy appeal. I personally don't see anything wrong with that at all. Furthermore just because a person may not be wearing a poppy does not mean that they have not contributed any money to the fund!

With all thats been going on recently, it's no wonder you can't find a Poppy Seller.

I've noticed that, since the attack, all the Poppy Sellers are going around in groups! Also, I was highly annoyed to read in our local news, that a Poppy Seller had been 'moved on' by the Mall Security Guards after a shop owner had complained he was 'putting off potential customers' and that it was like ' having a vagrant squatting in her shop doorway' !!!!!!! :angry:

I hope the 'publicity' has done wonders for her sales!

Has the RBL ever considered poppies in the form of stickers, which would do away with the need for pins and cater for those who don't want to stick pins through the clothing they are wearing. I think the Poppy as it currently stands is fine, but just an idea to mention. Cheers Neil.

• Admin
With all thats been going on recently, it's no wonder you can't find a Poppy Seller.

I've noticed that, since the attack, all the Poppy Sellers are going around in groups!

Here is one Poppy Collector who didn't collect in a group.

( I did however make sure that I had my mobile switched on, and very close to hand........)

Michelle :blink: